Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 90,801 times

Advertisements

Hi! MY Husband has a chance to transfer to Sheridan, Wy. We have both lived in MN all our lives. We have 4 children, and visited Montana and Yellowstone about 2 years ago, but do not know much about Wyoming. Could any one who knows about Sheridan and Wyoming help us?!
What is it like to live in sheridan?
Is it a good place to raise a family?
How is it compared to MN, if any one has been to both states?
How is the weather in sheridan?
What does sheridan have to offer for shopping/entertainment?
How are the people there?

We are looking for an easy going town, one that accepts new people. A great place to raise our 4 children, with great schools, and great people!
Thanks alot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 PM

34 posts, read 337,697 times
I live southeast of Sheridan, and visit many times throughout the year, although not for a long period of time. Sheridan is a beautiful town, with gorgeous views of the Bighorn mountains. There are many outdoor activities, such as hunting, fishing, boating, camping, etc. I know they do have a Wal-Mart there (perhaps a Super Wal-mart?) lots of fast food places such as Taco Bell, McDonalds, I'm sure others. It seems like a nice place to live, I would actually rather be there than where I am now. I have heard that housing prices are pretty high, but they are here in Gillette, too. (sorry I don't have any exact figures for you) Try checking out www.thesheridanpress.com, it's the local newspaper. The people I've encountered seem very friendly, and I know the highschool sports teams can be a bit competitive, which can be a good thing, I suppose. I have never been to MN, unfortunately, so I can't compare, but I would imagine the winters are pretty similar, as Northeastern Wyoming winters can be pretty harsh and windy. Sorry I don't have more concrete facts for you, I hope this helps, hopefully somebody who lives closer to the area will post something. Good luck, and welcome to Wyoming!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslo View Post
I live southeast of Sheridan, and visit many times throughout the year, although not for a long period of time. Sheridan is a beautiful town, with gorgeous views of the Bighorn mountains. There are many outdoor activities, such as hunting, fishing, boating, camping, etc. I know they do have a Wal-Mart there (perhaps a Super Wal-mart?) lots of fast food places such as Taco Bell, McDonalds, I'm sure others. It seems like a nice place to live, I would actually rather be there than where I am now. I have heard that housing prices are pretty high, but they are here in Gillette, too. (sorry I don't have any exact figures for you) Try checking out www.thesheridanpress.com, it's the local newspaper. The people I've encountered seem very friendly, and I know the highschool sports teams can be a bit competitive, which can be a good thing, I suppose. I have never been to MN, unfortunately, so I can't compare, but I would imagine the winters are pretty similar, as Northeastern Wyoming winters can be pretty harsh and windy. Sorry I don't have more concrete facts for you, I hope this helps, hopefully somebody who lives closer to the area will post something. Good luck, and welcome to Wyoming!
Thanks so much for the reply! We will check out the newspaper!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
I don't live in Sheridan, but I think it is very nice community overall. It is suffering from the real estate price inflation that inflicts many desriable Rocky Mountain region locales these days. I doubt that you find much of a house for less than $200K+ there.

Sheridan actually gets a little warmer in summer than many Wyoming locales because of its lower elevation (about 3,800 feet). It also gets a fair amount of snow in winter, but is generally less windy than, say, Casper or Cheyenne. Overall, it is drier and probably warmer in winter than Minnesota. Unlike Minnesota, Wyoming is brown a fair amount of the time, and Sheridan is no exception. Central and northern Wyoming is also in its eighth year of drought.

The Big Horn mountains are indeed beautiful--my personal favorite mountain range in Wyoming.

The people I know from and in Sheridan are good folks.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 AM

136 posts, read 619,025 times
Default Life in Sheridan

I've worked and lived in Sheridan. It is a decent town for a family. The schools are decent... they don't slack on their students. There is virtually no crime, and there isn't any type of gang influence there. It has a few good parks, but doesn't have a great deal to offer in terms of entertainment. Parks and recreation does have some offerings, teams and such. There are dude ranches around. The big event of the summer is the rodeo, and the town definitely has a western feel to it. The mountains are just beautiful, and close by, with good fishing, hunting and hiking available. There are two ski places nearby. There is one movie theatre and one events theatre that brings in a few shows. Good restaurants are slim pickings. The town is making an effort to have more community activities, building a center for this when I was there last fall, which may be open now.

Shopping is limited. While the downtown is actually alive, with various independent shops, there are few grocery stores. There is a super WalMart, which people love to hate (including a lot of the people who have worked there). Home Depot just came in. They have a K-Mart, that struggles to compete with WalMart. A lot of people drive up to Billings for big ticket items, as Montana has no sales tax.For a small town, it has a good public library.
The weather is what you would expect for this region. Some winter days it's beautiful. Some spring days they get two feet of snow. I like Sheridan. I'd go back there.

Last edited by Meg Lesher; 05-09-2007 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: forgot about Montana

Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi again!
Thanks so much everyone, for the info.!
I have been reading other posts on this site and have gained a lot of insight into Wyoming!
My husband works for Qwest, does any one know any Qwest employees there? We are still waiting to hear who will go. We are praying it will be us! Although winters here in MN have been pretty mild last couple of years (as far as MN goes!) it isn't just our winters, it is our summers, too Hot and buggy and muggy!! One thing I will miss though is all the lakes, we love to fish and usually you have a couple lakes to choose from within 15-20 minutes! How and where is there good fishing near or around Sheridan, does anyone know?
After school lets out we will be visiting, hopefully by then we will know if we will be moving or not!!!
Thanks again everyone who posted!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Lesher View Post
I've worked and lived in Sheridan. It is a decent town for a family. The schools are decent... they don't slack on their students. There is virtually no crime, and there isn't any type of gang influence there. It has a few good parks, but doesn't have a great deal to offer in terms of entertainment. Parks and recreation does have some offerings, teams and such. There are dude ranches around. The big event of the summer is the rodeo, and the town definitely has a western feel to it. The mountains are just beautiful, and close by, with good fishing, hunting and hiking available. There are two ski places nearby. There is one movie theatre and one events theatre that brings in a few shows. Good restaurants are slim pickings. The town is making an effort to have more community activities, building a center for this when I was there last fall, which may be open now.

Shopping is limited. While the downtown is actually alive, with various independent shops, there are few grocery stores. There is a super WalMart, which people love to hate (including a lot of the people who have worked there). Home Depot just came in. They have a K-Mart, that struggles to compete with WalMart. A lot of people drive up to Billings for big ticket items, as Montana has no sales tax.For a small town, it has a good public library.
The weather is what you would expect for this region. Some winter days it's beautiful. Some spring days they get two feet of snow. I like Sheridan. I'd go back there.
Hi you did say good fishing near by Sheridan, just wondering where and what is usually biting? Also what is dude ranches?
Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,040,684 times
Hi... I live in Sheridan.. well technically 6 miles out of town.. but my husband works in town, and we go there regularly..

As far as entertainment, it depends on what your fancy is. There's a rodeo, tons of hunting, fishing, outdoor activities.

A few community events in Sheridan I think. There's the WYO Theater in Downtown Sheridan, I have never been but it looks like they have nice shows and performances.

I really love living here so far. We relocated from Oregon. I was a native Oregonian, dh was originally from the south however.. and Oregon was way to much of a shock for him, and Wyoming and it's laid back atmosphere and hospitality remind dh of home down south.

Most people are very friendly here. I will be honest though, there is a small percentage of outsides that come from where-ever California, Oregon, other states that Money is more prevelant, and they try to impose their way of life over here. My husband and I gladly have assimilated in with the culture here... We take joy in the simple things in life. But sadly the outsiders have impacted the real estate market by buying up the land in cash, making the home prices for the rest of us average joes skyrocket.

My husband and I are extremely blessed to live on a ranch renting from a nice family. Very rare opportunity however, it is only by the grace of God we found a place to rent out in the country that is not astronomical. The renting situation is scare, many people have to live in motels temporarily until they can find housing.

I would recommend visiting here for a mini-vacation to check things out first, my husband and I did that... and it was helpful..

It is actually green and beautiful here right now. The rest of the state in in drought, mild drought, or some sections even severe drought.. However.. This Northeastern section of Wyoming into the Montana border is slightly above average this year with precipitation. In fact we have had rain all day today and going to get some tommorow.

As far as winter, I am sure you could handle it.. I hear it is wetter and colder in MN.

Quest is a good company to work for

With perserverance and patience and sacrifice I think Sheridan is a nice play to live. There is little crime if any at all, schools are great.

Oh also a lot of people go to Billings in Montana to do major shopping like at malls, and bigger chains, there is a Costco up there too... However the one drawback is it is 124 miles... It makes a nice day trip though.. We only go ever so often.

Best of luck to you and your family.. feel free to send me a line if you need any help or info on Sheridan, I would be more than happy to help in any way I can...

Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 22,346 times
I live in sheridan, its a very nice town. Has a small town feel. I visit minnesota 2 times a year, my parents grew up there, in northern minnesota on lake superior 2 hours north of duluth. It gets hotter than some places in minnesota here, but not nearly the humidity of MN, nor the amount of bugs. I love minnesota and plan on moving there soon, but sheridan is a great place to live, it has some stuff to do for entertainment, but its lacking at times.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 21,938 times
Hei, my name is Sabelle and I live in sheridan. I'm 17 (going on 18) and can tell you what the town will be like to your kids, depending on their age. I moved here when I was 10 and can tell you this; Sheridan is a beautiful place. There are fantastic views and landscapes just about everywhere you look! We do have a Wal Mart, but we do not have a Super Wal Mart. As far as entertainment goes, it's great for those who enjoy nature or just looking around, however if you're looking for places that kids can really hang out, there aren't really any. Most kids and teens hang out any place that they can just gather and talk (Wal Mart, YMCA, sometimes the library, etc.).
There's little crime but make sure to inform your kids that there are cliques. The cliques are not cruel though, for the most part- just a few immature fits now and then, but most of the time people are friendly. It's easy to make friends, and it's also very easy to keep them- just keep a good attitude! People here try to help others out and it's common to find (in the summer) that people will have picnics that anyone can come to.
It may be a bit of a culture shock, but give it a little time and I'm sure the town will grow on you. Hey, I came from California and can safely say it's a pretty nice place to be. Hope you make the move! -Sabelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming