Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,144 times

Advertisements

MY granny could make venison taste better than beef. She would chicken fry it. I am not sure what the process is--crackers and egg batter?
Anyway's I just heard a tip on cooking beef steaks. Do not put on grill or frying pan straight from the fridge. Leave it covered up and out on counter for 15 minutes so that it will not have any cold spots on it when you cook it--Tip from a high end restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,144 times
Default Antelope

The trick with antelope is hopefully they had a descent year for forage/no drought.
Then when you go to harvest one hopefully you can drop him in his tracks because if he has been eating sage brush it can get into the meat if he runs. Well, that's what I was told. I like antelope, deer, and elk --moose is really good too!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Tonight I had Antelope steaks for supper. It was not marinated, not soaked in milk or buttermilk and it was not tough. It was not gamey. I could detect no sage to it at all. The loin steaks were cut about 3/4 inch thick and were about 4 inches long and 2.5 inches wide.

That antelope was dropped where it stood. It was field dressed and then transported back to my house where I hung it in my walk in cooler for 8 days. Then I cut it up.

Was delicious. I made a batter of eggs, flower, and spices for breading. Dipped each one in there and fried them in a frying pan.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
I have found if you take the deer or elk out of the freezer and put in an oven at 365 to cook slow. Don't thaw the meat the water from freezing seems to make it tender. I use a cast iron skillet, 20 mins into it cooking I season with all seasoning. It seems to taste real good with red wine!!

Frying is the best, just not so good for the heart!!

I agree with those that say it's about the hanging and the temps that makes a difference.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,284,543 times
was helping a guy cut up a elk, he said he liked his game meat med rear , so I started to skin the back fat off and told him too look close at the rice grains that look like fat.... grubs, he now cooks hes wild game well.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 44,139 times
Another easy recipe is chops/steak/tenderloin (whichever cut you like) and cream of mushroom soup in the crock pot. Slow cooking will literally make it fall off the bone.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,726 times
I've Lived and hunted deer in Michigan for the that past 20 years. Where I hunt the deer mainley eat what cows do; corn,beans,wheat, etc. I make sure that I butcher my own meat. It took a couple deer before I got good but the trick is to debone the meat. Do not use a saw to cut through the bones. Also remove as much fat and collogen (the translusent film on the skin) as possible. I then marinate themn in Itlaian dressing for at 3 hours and grill. You must cook them medium with pink in the middle and a little blood. My kids love venison and would rather eat veinson over beef. Even die hard anti venison eaters love my steaks. I'am also planning on moving out to Gillette. Could u let me know what I can expect.

zeek3060
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming