U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 AM

37 posts, read 112,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
"Best schools are in Park City - that's where the money is."

I guess they're keeping it a secret that there's a lot of money in Heber City .... a beautiful little valley area with good schools, too.

Some well known horse breeders have nice operations based there .... world class. You know you're in a big money area when LFG stud fees are in 6 figure range.
They just left out one minor detail, the LDS (aka..controlling and intolerant religion) religion is a cult in Heber. I know someone who was not LDS and she was ignored for 7 plus years. If you don't join them, you are separated. The LDS Church in Utah is inseparable from the State. They are arrogant, distrustful, and extremely manipulative if you are not one of them. I have met several who have been quite discriminated against in the workplace for not being LDS. They even have their seminaries next door to all the public high schools here just to make sure the sheep don't leave the flock. They silently direct their schools to hire all LDS teachers. It is unbelievable. But, if you're a "Member" and believe in the myth of Joseph Smith, then you just might fit in. All of their good stuff is strictly on the surface. By the way, never do business with them. They will stab you in the back and justify it by their so-called church "values."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 AM

37 posts, read 112,355 times
I lived and worked in Laramie and I can tell you a couple of things. It takes some getting used to, but it grows on you. The wind bears down with horizontal snow in the winter. The summers are what most people live for. There are some great outdoor activities around Laramie and you'll find few people intruding in your excursions..which I liked. The people are reserved, so don't expect a welcoming party when you move in. I met some folks from Montana that couldn't get away fast enough from Laramie. The secular progressives hide behind their tenure at the University, most of them are from the East, not Wyoming. Watch out for them if you are at the U. In other words, don't turn your back on them. But, most of the common folks are quite decent people.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 AM

97 posts, read 172,691 times
My son lives in Sherdan and I live in Buffalo/.Both great towns , close to the Big Horns. And yes it is more expensive. Average homes are qround 235,000 to 300,000. But depending on what yopu are looking for. Look on the net bt cities. Most have good web sites to get an idea of the areas. good luck. let me know if i can be of help
Take care

Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM

329 posts, read 703,574 times
Default Wyoming...liberal??? LOL

I don't think I could describe ANY Wyoming town "liberal"! Jackson Hole would be the closest to that (partially because it's full of multi-billionaires from Hollywood)....but even Wyoming "liberal" is still pretty "conservative" compared to the rest of America!

Casper is 60K people, but we really aren't "big town" attitude. We have a TON of culture (museums, art, education, symphony, sports, etc) as well as the "usual" hunting, fishing, etc that the rest of Wyoming offers.

We have a few private schools here, and a few of the public ones are what others would call "excellent", though I've pulled my kids from public school in order to homeschool....

My husband is self-employed, and I work in healthcare (which we need more people to fill the vacancies).

I think Casper is a GREAT place to live. But if you want even smaller, Douglas, Midwest, and Glenrock are much smaller and only about 20-45 minutes away. Sheridan is extremely expensive, but a beautiful place to live. And Cheyenne is in close proximity to Denver (if you want what some may call "real" shopping).

Hope you have a fun time researching....I suggest coming out here and checking each of the towns out....

Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Status: "Ain't it great to be alive on City-Data?" (set 6 days ago)

36,576 posts, read 19,567,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick73 View Post
My family and I are thinking of relocating to Wyoming. My husband works for the railroad, so he would be transferring and work wouldn't be an issue for us. We are looking for a small town within a half-hour's drive of a bigger city, or else a city no larger than 60,000. We have 3 kids under the age of 7, so we'd be looking for a good private school. We would consider public school as long as it had an excellent reputation and was on the smallish side. We have had our fill of liberal-minded people, so a "redneck town", if you will, would be right up our alley! We are friendly people and don't have a problem fitting in, but we want a town that primarily has the same values and political views as ours. We hate drugs, crime, and tree-huggers; we love friendly people, fresh air, hunting, and quiet.
I'd sure appreciate some advice from you locals on where you think we'd fit in. We're looking at Sheridan, Casper, & Cheyenne so far, because that's where the open positions are, but we'd appreciate insight on other towns, too. Thanks!
I hope your move goes very well, and keep us posted on how it's going. The best bets for you are Casper and Cheyenne. They'll have just enough of what you are looking for, plus you'll have good mountain scenery. And you won't have any problem with the fresh air. Since Wyoming technically doesn't have "cities", the two towns I mentioned will be very good choices and I vouch for either place and you'll be very comfortable. You won't be far from good recreation, either.

All the best!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,843,087 times
Hmmm... mountain scenery in Cheyenne? Maybe with your binoculars, Casper is more hilly but then they are foothills, not mountains.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 332 times
As much as I would like to tell you many places to check out, I could onl reccomend the best. And that is Jackson Hole, Wyoming. They have both private & public schools. People here hunt, and are very friendly. I will be attending Jackson Hole High School in the fall, and it was ranked #1 in Wyoming. And in Jackson, you will always be surrounded by fresh air!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,152,741 times
Then there Star Valley , cheaper then Jackson houses and land tens to hundreds of thousand dollars cheaper and then the High School Gym is nothing but State Champion banners from sports , dance, speech and science. There are 4 Grade schools thru the valley 2 are k thru 3rd and the other two are 4th thru 6. Star Valley is always at the top for test scores in the State too.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM

17,919 posts, read 22,650,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Gonzalez View Post
As much as I would like to tell you many places to check out, I could onl reccomend the best. And that is Jackson Hole, Wyoming. They have both private & public schools. People here hunt, and are very friendly. I will be attending Jackson Hole High School in the fall, and it was ranked #1 in Wyoming. And in Jackson, you will always be surrounded by fresh air!
You recommended it to somebody that posted in 2008. I think their kids already graduated by now.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,152,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Then there Star Valley , cheaper then Jackson houses and land tens to hundreds of thousand dollars cheaper and then the High School Gym is nothing but State Champion banners from sports , dance, speech and science. There are 4 Grade schools thru the valley 2 are k thru 3rd and the other two are 4th thru 6. Star Valley is always at the top for test scores in the State too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming