Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM

61 posts, read 215,943 times

Advertisements

I am a Wyoming resident who lives in Cheyenne 2-3 weeks per month. I've been all over Wyoming and I think Cheyenne is a great place to live. It isn't that the winters are so cold, but they are pretty long. The cost of living is reasonable, much more so than Colorado and right now, you can get a decent house for a very good price. If you're coming from a warm climate, it may be a bit of a shock to your system when there are no buds on the trees until June. Work wise, there are enough jobs for a city this size. Fort Collins is about 35-40 minutes away (in good weather). We have folks at my office in Cheyenne who live in Ft. Collins and they all want to move because the winter commute can be very "iffy." Cheyenne isn't really "cosmopolitan" but it is a friendly small city with a small town feel. Good luck on your hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM

16 posts, read 26,527 times
Default Cheyenne? Think again

Seeing as most of the former responses only say positive things about Cheyenne, I thought i'd introduce you to its not-so-great side. Cheyenne is quite possibly the ugliest "large" city i've ever seen; I travel there once a month for work. Trees are scarce, there's a lot of trash in the streets downtown, and the drivers are terrible! Cheyenne, Wyoming is ranked 5th from the bottom of a worst driver's list...see for yourself: The Capitals of Crash - Page1 -Â* MSN Lifestyle: Men (broken link)

If you're moving from Florida, you'll most likely have some problems adjusting to the very dry climate and the smell of the slaughter houses. My advise to you would be stay away! If you're open to living anywhere, you have plenty of much more agreeable options.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagefish View Post
Seeing as most of the former responses only say positive things about Cheyenne, I thought i'd introduce you to its not-so-great side. Cheyenne is quite possibly the ugliest "large" city i've ever seen; I travel there once a month for work. Trees are scarce, there's a lot of trash in the streets downtown, and the drivers are terrible! Cheyenne, Wyoming is ranked 5th from the bottom of a worst driver's list...see for yourself: The Capitals of Crash - Page1 -Â* MSN Lifestyle: Men (broken link)

If you're moving from Florida, you'll most likely have some problems adjusting to the very dry climate and the smell of the slaughter houses. My advise to you would be stay away! If you're open to living anywhere, you have plenty of much more agreeable options.
Huh? Lots of trash in the streets downtown? I've seen little of that, and I'm downtown in Cheyenne every day. Trees are scarce? Outside of the city proper, yes. It's the plains. Lots of nice trees in the older areas of town. Drivers? I'm not sure of how the rankings were made, but Cheyenne is a breeze to drive in compared to most cities--certainly way better than any cities on the Front Range of Colorado. Yes, the rush MINUTE might be a little busy. Smell of the slaughterhouse? What slaughterhouse? You can smell the oil refinery, but usually only on the south side of town. The wind is usually from the northwest, so the refinery smell generally is blowing away from the main part of Cheyenne.

Most people who bash Cheyenne have never lived there. Clean town, not much crime, light traffic, nice people. The only big downers are the wind (it does blow, especially from late fall to spring), and the short summers.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM

347 posts, read 1,282,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Huh? Lots of trash in the streets downtown? I've seen little of that, and I'm downtown in Cheyenne every day. Trees are scarce? Outside of the city proper, yes. It's the plains. Lots of nice trees in the older areas of town. Drivers? I'm not sure of how the rankings were made, but Cheyenne is a breeze to drive in compared to most cities--certainly way better than any cities on the Front Range of Colorado. Yes, the rush MINUTE might be a little busy. Smell of the slaughterhouse? What slaughterhouse? You can smell the oil refinery, but usually only on the south side of town. The wind is usually from the northwest, so the refinery smell generally is blowing away from the main part of Cheyenne.

Most people who bash Cheyenne have never lived there. Clean town, not much crime, light traffic, nice people. The only big downers are the wind (it does blow, especially from late fall to spring), and the short summers.
I'm with Jazzlover's comment....what trash? After my first visit downtown, I mentioned a few times of how clean it is. And the only thing I smell is clean air.

mandk

Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
At approximately 50,000 total population, Cheyenne hardly qualifies as anybody's "large city", much less a large suburb of a major city.

I sure haven't seen trash in the streets here, either, at anytime.

Older neighborhoods with established landscaping have a fair number of large trees. Since this is a windy and cold prairie desert climate, establishing trees and landscaping takes a lot of effort and a long time. Many people don't understand the mortality rate of a lot of their landscaping ... and unfortunately, buy materials from the box stores in town that don't have appropriate plants/trees for the area.

Slaughterhouse in Cheyenne? maybe if you're thinking about the very small plant on the South side ... which employs a handfull of people processing livestock and ... seasonally ... big game. You'd have to be as sensitive as a bloodhound to notice the place at all.

Traffic in Cheyenne? Even when it's "rush hour", it's mostly a bit of traffic of Lincolnway and Dell Range for a matter of minutes. Generally speaking, however, you can still make it from one end of town to the other in 5-8 minutes. Compared to Colorado's Front Range traffic, Cheyenne's traffic at it's worst is a pleasure. Don't have any idea about a generalization that Cheyenne drivers are "terrible"; looking at the "police blotter" in the newspaper certainly doesn't list a lot of traffic accidents each week.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,941 times
Default What trash?

I'm with Sunsprit, jazzlover, and mandk - what trash? What slaughterhouse? As far as ugly goes - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What's ugly to you isn't to me. Villagefish - as you said - you don't live there you travel there for work once a month - I'm not sure that you're qualified to give a good representation of Cheyenne. You are right that out of town there aren't many trees but you must not have spent much time downtown to not see the trees in the older established neighborhoods. And I don't know if I've ever seen "lots of trash in the streets". One more thing - as someone who has lived in a "large" city - Cheyenne does not qualify.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:42 AM

24 posts, read 92,176 times
What trash? I must have been too busy looking at the beautiful flowers. Yes there aren't a lot of trees in the plains. I must have missed the traffic too because everyone at the four way stop always signals us to go first. I love Cheyenne and hope to call it home one day soon.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 24,590 times
My wife and I are coming to Cheyenne the end of August, (along with a friend who is looking to move from California) and we hope it has the "right fit". We are planning on moving there the end of this year if everything goes as planned and we sell our house quickly. I have been following this forum for several weeks, and there seems to be some very nice and polite people in Cheyenne. I am looking to settle in to a low stress lifestyle after serving 22 years in the US Marine Corps, 2 years as a Police Department Rangemaster, and 7 years with Intel Corporation. My wife plans on pursuing administrative work and I might pick up some part time employment later on.

Last edited by DD_USMC; 06-29-2007 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
I lived in Cheyenne for five years and didn't even know there was a slaughter house there!!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 PM

59 posts, read 226,344 times
I am born and raised in Cheyenne and at 41 am unaware of a slaughter house as well?????????????????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming