U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2010, 02:19 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,081,518 times
Sounds good, Jody. Can you be any more specific about the Hollandaise sauce? How many yokes? How much lemon juice? How much hot water? How long do you cook it?

I'm not much of a cook, but I love eggs benedict, and if breakfast is to be cooked at our house, it's gonna be by me.

ElkHunter, your recipe for biscuits and gravy sounds good too. That's my second favorite breakfast.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 PM

1,939 posts, read 1,890,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Sounds good, Jody. Can you be any more specific about the Hollandaise sauce? How many yokes? How much lemon juice? How much hot water? How long do you cook it?

I'm not much of a cook, but I love eggs benedict, and if breakfast is to be cooked at our house, it's gonna be by me.

ElkHunter, your recipe for biscuits and gravy sounds good too. That's my second favorite breakfast.
3 egg yokes
1 Tb lemon juice
¼ lb butter melted
2 TB hot water
Dash cayenne
Salt to taste
Use a double boiler or a bowl over hot water, Hot not simmering. Put the egg yokes in the bowl and whisk till smooth add the lemon juice and gradually whisk in the melted butter slowly stir in the hot water cayenne and salt, Continue mixing for a minute it should thicken, Serve of keep warm for a hour or two

Last edited by jody_wy; 02-27-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,487,853 times
I love this website! I go to it a lot and I have her cookbook too... The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond

The Pioneer Woman's Apple Fritters
* 2 cups All-purpose Flour
* ½ cups Sugar
* 3 Tablespoons Sugar
* 2-¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
* 1-¼ teaspoon Salt
* 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
* 2 whole Large Eggs
* ¾ cups Whole Milk
* 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
* 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
* 2 whole Granny Smith Apples, Peeled And Diced
* Powdered Sugar (optional, For Dusting)
* GLAZE (optional)
* 1-½ cup Powdered Sugar
* ¼ teaspoons Salt
* ¼ teaspoons Vanilla
* ¼ cups Milk

Preparation Instructions

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add milk, melted butter, and vanilla.

Gently fold dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not overmix.) Fold in apples. Add enough apples to make a very chunky batter. You want the apples to shine though!

Heat a couple of inches of canola oil over medium to medium-low heat. When it gets hot, drop a little drop of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately and rises to the top, the oil is ready; if it burns quickly, turn down the heat.

Drop teaspoons of batter into the hot oil, six or eight at a time. Sometimes they’ll flip over by themselves; sometimes you have to flip them. Just watch them and make sure they don’t get too brown, but cook them long enough to make sure the batter’s cooked through, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes total.

Remove and drain on a paper towel. Dust very generously with powdered sugar, or dip fritters in a light doughnut glaze (mix all glaze ingredients together, then dunk warm fritters).

Serve warm!

**May be heated up the next day in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,487,853 times
I cooked this last weekend! Yummy! Another Pioneer Woman recipe
This was my first time using Egg in the recipe, but it actually really enhanced the sauce. Just have to be careful to temper it so it isn't scrambled LOL

Homemade Mac-n-Cheese
* 4 cups Dried Macaroni
* ¼ cups (1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons) Butter
* ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
* 2-½ cups Whole Milk
* 2 teaspoons (heaping) Dry Mustard, More If Desired
* 1 whole Egg Beaten
* 1 pound Cheese, Grated
* ½ teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
* ½ teaspoons Seasoned Salt, More To Taste
* ½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
* Optional Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Thyme

Preparation Instructions

Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.

In a small bowl, beat egg.

In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.

Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.

Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.

Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.

Add in cheese and stir to melt.

Add salts and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.

Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top in 350 degree oven.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Time machine

Time machine Mom's Mom made great pies, she never measured anything, though most are wrote down in recipes. Dad's Mom made one pie that I finally found the recipe for. The first bite took me back years to her kitchen....Raisin Cream Pie3 well-beaten eggs 1t. cinnamon 1 t. vanilla2 C thick sour cream pinch of salt 2 C sugar1 t. allspice pinch of salt 1 lb raisins, washed & ground Bake at 350 for 45 min, Double crust She made a orange cake with nuts and fruit and a carmal iceing and nobody has any idea of a resipe

Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 PM

17,170 posts, read 20,734,058 times
Grandpa's Tear Bread

Yesterday I was baking bread. I had bread on the counter rising. I forgot. I took a much needed nap. So, when I woke up and remembered, my bread was about 9 inches taller then my bread pan. HUGE! I baked it anyhow. It came out great. But way to fluffy to try and slice.

Later, my grandkids visited and my grandson asked me "What is that?" I told him it was tear bread. I handed him the loaf and told him to tear off a hunk. He loved it. Loaf was gone in an hour. SO when you have grandkids coming over, make "Grandpa's tear bread."

Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,516,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Grandpa's Tear Bread

Yesterday I was baking bread. I had bread on the counter rising. I forgot. I took a much needed nap. So, when I woke up and remembered, my bread was about 9 inches taller then my bread pan. HUGE! I baked it anyhow. It came out great. But way to fluffy to try and slice.

Later, my grandkids visited and my grandson asked me "What is that?" I told him it was tear bread. I handed him the loaf and told him to tear off a hunk. He loved it. Loaf was gone in an hour. SO when you have grandkids coming over, make "Grandpa's tear bread."
do you make your own bread dough or do you buy the frozen loaves? what is your recipe if the former. (if you're like my grandma was..she didn't measure, just dumped and mixed by hand but it always turned out great.)

Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 PM

17,170 posts, read 20,734,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
do you make your own bread dough or do you buy the frozen loaves? what is your recipe if the former. (if you're like my grandma was..she didn't measure, just dumped and mixed by hand but it always turned out great.)
I haven't made bread from scratch in 10 years. Ex inherited recipe file so now days I just buy frozen. Still really good. Mostly comes out better then mine did. 25 minutes cooking time. Overnight to rise. Easy stuff. haha

But yes, when I made bread, I threw the recipe on the counter just so I could remember what to put in. It was mostly throw in 3 handfulls of this, need, oh oh, another handful. You felt what you was making.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Kids are home from Laramie on spring break. Sue always made white bread for them as they did't like the whole wheat. Bought Sue some hard white wheat, She been grinding it and gee the kids are eating the bread. But then Saturday the extra was fry bread with butter and honey. Yesterday she made 3 french loafes with olives , Olive oil and rosemary.One loafe dissapered with the pork roast last night. I make a big batch JAMBALYE when the kida come home, brown up a lb of hot sausage(usually cased then cut up after browning) I take the sausage out cook a onion, 4 chopped stalks of celery , and a chopped up green bell pepper, then add a lb of cut up chicken breast( if you need to deglaze the pan a can of chicken broth workes good right now) , add back the sausage then ,add a big can and a 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes , Then Creole seasoning( or red pepper , garlic , salt etc) Then 6 sevings of cooked rice, and let simmer for awhile then a few mintues before serving add a lb of shelled cleaned ( wild caught) shrimp( most the farm raised ones taste like mud)

Last edited by jody_wy; 03-15-2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: needed to add

Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Easter Dinner

Hazelnut encrusted rack of lamb,( lamb was a bum that after milk replacer got grass and oats we burtcherd it on Thanksgiving day, Cut it up the next when I Frenched the racks) potato pancakes with candy cinnamon apples, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, then much later strawberry short cake with dark chocolate sauce and whipped cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming