U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,733,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You can do a search for my posts in the picture thread. I took a few shots while camping back in August.

I'd swing through the Big Horns, but I'm partial to them. Bear Lodge has snow mobile rentals. The groomed trails go from one lodge to the next. While I was camping in August, I got pictures of moose from about 20 ft away. She was with calf so I was a little nervous to say the least. I kept the engine running on my 4 wheeler. haha
Thanks, ElkHunter. I checked out your shots. Pretty impressive area. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnickles85 View Post
If you want to rent a snowmobile in the park, I am pretty sure you are going to have to take a commercially-led tour in the park, according to Yellowstone regulations: Yellowstone National Park - Winter Use Planning in Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service) Also, there is a quota for how many snowmobiles can enter the park in a day, so I would be aware of that. My boyfriend and his family told me those rules, also, so I am hoping my post is legit! Also- tip: do not leave a back pack, etc., unattended in the park- the ravens are smart out there and will open it up and pull it apart (story from my boyfriend's mother's snowmobiling experience). I hope that your trip is great. I traveled there in the Spring and was lucky enough to see 3 black bears in one day. I hope that you have the same kind of luck! Safe travels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I think lilnick is right, and I believe the quota was lowered again for this winter, so if you want to see the park I'd make advance reservations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Typical news covereage. haha I remember they made an announcement that the number was going to be lowered, but some judge stepped in because the parks commission said, no. Then nothing. Haven't seen anything in the news since then.

So yes, very good advice, call ahead and check.

Don't rely on internet searches because something may still have last years data on it. I'd call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I once did a short season at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, situated on the mountain pass between Dubois and Jackson Wyo...I'm sure they'll be open for business...the snowpack in the highest points already had tracks in it, last time I drove over about 3 weeks ago...and they got a semi-load of brand-new sleds already; some sport-oriented sleds, and the slower 'luxury' oriented sleds. And it looked like they redesigned the cabins and restaurant, last time I spoke to my old barn-boss who now runs the housekeeping crew there...
Thanks for the input, folks. Call ahead to whom? There are about 20 snowmobile rental outfits listed by the NPS here: Yellowstone National Park - Permitted Winter Service Providers (U.S. National Park Service) . Either way, I'm not too worried about it. I've got a whole week to play with, so I'm sure I can get in on a tour one way or another if it seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks again, everybody. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 PM

17,165 posts, read 20,715,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Thanks for the input, folks. Call ahead to whom? There are about 20 snowmobile rental outfits listed by the NPS here: Yellowstone National Park - Permitted Winter Service Providers (U.S. National Park Service) . Either way, I'm not too worried about it. I've got a whole week to play with, so I'm sure I can get in on a tour one way or another if it seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks again, everybody. I'm really looking forward to this trip.
Call ahead to the motel/hotel/lodge that you will be staying at. They will have the most current data.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Ah, got ya. You would think so, yes. Actually the lady who runs the small lodge I'm planning on staying at didn't know squat about snowmobile rentals. Maybe I picked the wrong place, but they have the best rating in town from what I've seen. That's why a lot of this is simply going to be seat-of-the-pants, and figure it out as I go. That's kind of how I roll most the time. I'm not a huge planner.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM

220 posts, read 190,655 times
...and to think that just east of Kingman, can be found some of the toughest SOB cowpunchers in the entire Southwest...lol

Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
...and to think that just east of Kingman, can be found some of the toughest SOB cowpunchers in the entire Southwest...lol
My old daddy-in-law was an old bronc buster in the Big Horns. He was also a saddle maker, boot maker, etc. When he got rather seasoned and wanted to slow down, he headed down to Kingman and worked the ranches there. But, as a cook and story teller. haha He had some good ones.

Rode for the K, Padlock, and the PK. Busted and sold horses after that. Always worked his own tac and others started asking him for help.

He said that down there in Kingman, "them cowboys are tough!" His name was Red Rideout.

But the one thing that ole Red loved was Yellowstone. But he went in on pack animals and helped out the forest service and the game and fish. He packed in to back country and camped for weeks on end. Sometimes we'd only see him twice a year. Come out looking like a grizz, but he cleaned up pretty good.

Although I've never been in Yellowstone, I asked him how it was. Was it worth going over there? He said, "Yellowstone is a beautiful place, like none on earth, but truth be known, they put a fence around it and it still spilt out all over the state."

Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Darn tootin'! Not that I can claim any lineage to that breed, mind you.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 AM

220 posts, read 190,655 times
Managed to find a horseback job this past summer, Wranglin for 'Jackson Lake Lodge' (just south of south-gate of Jellystone) till October...my 2nd Tour of Duty there...really neat scenery, can never get enough of the Tetons. Tried hard to get on with the only two cattle operations over there (Pinto and Snake River) but you can imagine that's tough to do...everybody and thier sister wants to be a 'cowboy' these days..lol

Last edited by Ltdumbear; 12-18-2009 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Found this in the news this morning.

"Yellowstone National Park is now open for motorized over snow travel for the winter season. The new temporary plan allows for up to 318 commercially guided snowmobiles in the park a day and up to 78 commercially guided snow coaches per day."

Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM

That's ok. I only need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming