Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 PM

23 posts, read 48,999 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I have been on here before and have always gotten such a warm response and outstanding advice. I will be relocating to Sheridan from NJ in August. I have been waiting 2 years for this and now it is 7 months away!! I ask again for my future neighbors for any advice or guidance you can provide. I'm planning to visit for a week in either May or June to look at places to live and distribute some resumes. I am a single 33 year old non smoker w/ no pets and am looking to rent an apt or cottage/ bungalow w/ a monthly rent of $600-$700/mo. I am in contact w/ a realtor but appreciate ANY help you all can give me! Even if it's just hints/ factoids/ help acclimating to a small town I am more appreciative than you know! Thank you so much and I cant wait to be out there!
Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times
Hi there try checking out The Sheridan Front Page

They have some rentals in the classifieds.

Or you can check
Sheridan Wyoming News, Weather and Sports. Your digital Newspaper.
There should be a link somewhere on their site to the Country Bounty, It's a big classifieds and there are rentals in there sometimes too...

Best of luck to you

Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 AM

76 posts, read 258,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
Or you can check
Sheridan Wyoming News, Weather and Sports. Your digital Newspaper.
There should be a link somewhere on their site to the Country Bounty, It's a big classifieds and there are rentals in there sometimes too...
Yep, if you go to the top menu bar there is a Country Bounty tab, one of the drop down items is to view the entire issue (the paper version comes out every Tuesday, online version is usually available earlier).

Also be checking on Craigslist, often there are rentals on there. The fact that you're non-smoking/no-pets gives you a HUUUUUUUUUGE leg up. I'm not so sure what it is like anymore but here a year ago either or would cut your options down to pretty much zilch.

And Welcome! While I've never been to NJ I know people in the area and have heard stories and you're probably going to be in for a culture shock!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Don't want to discourage you but it will be real interesting what you find for $600-700 a month. If you have a vehicle, you might try Ranchester or Dayton. Ranchester is 15 miles from Sheridan and Dayton is 20 miles from Sheridan. But both often have rentals in that price range.

There are apartments in Sheridan that are at that price range, however they have long waiting lists to get in.

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
Actually I just bought a paper today, and there are quite a few places in that price range right now. I counted 25 that ranged between $375- $750 (Only four of them were higher than $700). From studio to 3 bedroom. There is actually a 3 bedroom listed for $400/mo That was a shocker to see, I'd have called them myself but it said no pets and we have a dog

In August there may not be as many listed (college kids comming back to town) but I'm sure you will find something. Getting on waiting lists when you visit in May might help. Check out Grimshaw Investments, they have very nice newer apts. I'd stay away from Country Club Estates, Sheridan apts, and Dunnik (sp) apts. Just my personal pref.

As Elk stated you may want to look around Dayton & Ranchester too. You'll have an even closer view of the Bighorns! Wherever you find a place, I'm sure you'll love it here

Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Last month I helped a try and find an apartment. He didn't have a vehicle so I drove him around. There were several places listed in the paper and we called and went and looked. A couple of them weren't too bad, except they were "Mother in law suites", a house built behind a house. So access was from the alley. There was no parking in the alley so you could drop your grocery's and then go park on the street. The person I was taking around is planning on getting a car so those were out.

Then we found a couple that were small houses, seemed nice, but when we checked with MDU, the heating bill in the winter was in excess of $200. Which put them out of his price range. (He's on disability so income is fixed).

All in all, we looked at about 10 places. None of them fit his requirements (I wouldn't have lived in any of them). But he did eventually find an apartment for $650 and Utils were included. But it's not in an apartment building, it's an apartment built upstairs in a private residence.

So when you do look at the places in the paper, or the Bounty, or whatever, you might think about giving MDU (Montana Dakota Utilites) a call and find out what the average MDU bill is for the place. That will give you a much better idea of what you'd be getting in to.

Deposit for MDU is 3 times average bill. Refunded at the end of one year if you keep up your utility payments. Also, MDU has proposed a 25.6% increase for residential electricity. If that goes through, deposit and rates will be higher then what's quoted now.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Also, here are some links that might be of interest to you.

Sheridan

Wyoming jobs

Wyoming State Jobs

Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
The MDU increase got approved, only 8% though. Still stinks. I hear ya about checking out heating costs before moving into a place. We lived in a rental trailor before moving into our current rental house, and the heating bill tipped out at about $350 in the coldest months. It was a tiny trailor and the place was still freezing! The MDU cost got very close to what our rent cost. Then in the spring it leaked horribly when it rained. So try to avoid trailors, expecially older ones, if at all possible. In our current 2 bedroom house, we pay around $70 in the summer for MDU and $150 tops in the winter. Water for us runs about $90 every two months.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM

23 posts, read 48,999 times
Thank you so much! I have been checking Sheridan Press and there are a few. I'm assuming the 500 range are a bit sketch but others have potential. I don't mind living behind another house (mother-in-law...cute, never heard that before) as long as I have a bit of privacy. I will def check out those apts that you listed PDC. I didnt figure in the college students coming back factor. Any ideas (other than moving now) that might help get a leg up?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:31 PM

76 posts, read 258,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
The MDU increase got approved, only 8% though.
Sorry to hijack but unless I'm missing something it hasn't gotten approved yet. The last news article I read on Sheridan Media was that this office of Consumer Advocate recommended knocking it down to 8%.

Office Of Consumer Advocate Recommends Reduced Rate Increase For Customers Of MDU

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Wyom4me - Can't help you much more than has already been said in this thread but certainly wish you the best of luck! Housing seems like it might be starting to be the tiniest bit easier to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming