Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

Moving to Jackson Hole in the summer. I have a fourteen year old so could someone recommend a good school?
Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Ranking of High Schools in Teton County

Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
isn't Western Wyoming an Alternative HS to get a GED

Old 02-14-2010, 05:21 AM

382 posts, read 936,990 times
Teton Science School a private school, hard to get in to as it is small.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I am surprised considering the wealthy property owners in Teton County that the schools don't rank higher then they do.

OK they do rank high in math, but reading and writing is pretty low.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
I am surprised considering the wealthy property owners in Teton County that the schools don't rank higher then they do.

OK they do rank high in math, but reading and writing is pretty low.
I'm not sure that ranking is all that accurate. It seems that about the time the US started ranking schools was about the same time we heard about "Teaching for the Test". Just my Opinion. But my kids were in school about then and couldn't take a test "Off-Hand" because they hadn't taught that test yet.

So I've often wondered about school rankings.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm not sure that ranking is all that accurate. It seems that about the time the US started ranking schools was about the same time we heard about "Teaching for the Test". Just my Opinion. But my kids were in school about then and couldn't take a test "Off-Hand" because they hadn't taught that test yet.
So I've often wondered about school rankings.
Accurate in what regard?

The website I referenced is reporting how students do in each school relative to students in other schools. So if nothing else it is a yardstick that is useful for comparing schools. I understand that there are pro's and con's to standardized tests. But the tests have been in use for a long time now, so these days I assume all schools are teaching to the test to some degree, so it still seems like a relatively useful yardstick for comparing schools. Sadly it only tests reading, writing and math, no sciences, history, social studies or the arts.

I understand about questioning the accuracy of tests. I recall when I was in college I took an I.Q. test and was surprised to find that there were culturally biased questions on it such as one that was something like, "where does the Pope live". I am not Catholic and was never around many, I guessed Rome and as I recall the correct answer was the Vatican. I could tell you more about the Morman church then I could the Catholic church, since I grew up around Mormans. It does not seem like something so culturally biased should be on a standardized test.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Accurate in what regard?
The website I referenced is reporting how students do in each school relative to students in other schools. So if nothing else it is a yardstick that is useful for comparing schools. I understand that there are pro's and con's to standardized tests. But the tests have been in use for a long time now, so these days I assume all schools are teaching to the test to some degree, so it still seems like a relatively useful yardstick for comparing schools. Sadly it only tests reading, writing and math, no sciences, history, social studies or the arts.
I understand about questioning the accuracy of tests. I recall when I was in college I took an I.Q. test and was surprised to find that there were culturally biased questions on it such as one that was something like, "where does the Pope live". I am not Catholic and was never around many, I guessed Rome and as I recall the correct answer was the Vatican. I could tell you more about the Morman church then I could the Catholic church, since I grew up around Mormans. It does not seem like something so culturally biased should be on a standardized test.
Well, I guess the best way to explain it is that it used to be that schools had a particular curriculum that was pretty standard throughout the country. Granted, some magnet schools offered more advanced classes but for the most part they were standard.

At that time a teacher taught the material. Then, tested to see how much the student comprehended or understood. Then she/he may revamp their style, or homework, or such so that the students could obtain a better understanding.

Since comparisons of schools come about, the schools started teaching for the test. NOT testing the teaching. So now days, when a teacher is covering material and a student raises their hand and asks a question, the teacher may come back with, "That's not important, it's not on the test."

This is done so that this school can stack up points and show that they are 1 percentile better then the school down the street.

Being Goal Oriented is not always bad, but being too goal oriented can be bad.

So when I look at this school compared to another school, I look more at what they have to offer, sports, advanced classes, a room with teacher for after hours help, etc... The last thing I look at is, "This school had 3% better test scores."

Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM

That all makes perfect sense and I agree with you completely.

However, in this case there are huge differences in the scores between the two high schools in Jackson Hole. I think that has to he significant. Ranking of High Schools in Teton County

If you click on the names of the schools you can get more demographic information about each school. In appears that the schools that scored better is probably also the better choice for many of the things that you described. The poorer scoring school is quite small by comparison, has a better student/teacher ratio, less diversity and probably fewer facilities.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I don't know anything about Jackson's schools, but I'm thinking Jody's probably right -- except that you graduate with a diploma from an alternative school, not a with a GED. Campbell County (Gillette) also has an alternative high school. It's for youth who, because of one problem or another, can't attend the main high school. It stands to reason that, because of their problems, the average student in the alternative school might not score as well as the average student in the main school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming