U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM

6,736 posts, read 8,734,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
When Ayers was scheduled to speak it at UW it was at a "tax-payer" facility and the UW Social Justice organization was independent but still apart of the UW. He also planned to do a "teleconference" with principals around the state and many refused and weren't even informed..

Now his upcoming new appearance in Laramie is a bunch of private funds from students and Ayer's supporters...
He's probably chuckling all the way to the bank. Because of the earlier cancellation, instead of a $5000 speaking fee, he's now getting $7700 out of Laramie.

It reminds me of a Broncos vs. Seahawks game I attended years ago at Denver. Brian Bosworth, a standout college linebacker with a big mouth, was new to the Seahawks, but he had made big promises through the press to smash John Elway. No self-respecting Bronco fan could stand the guy.

We got to the game early and saw "No Boz" t-shirts with clown faces of "the Boz" for sale at every turn. I was tempted to buy some for my family but didn't. Not so with many fans. They sold like hot cakes. Later we learned it was Bosworth's own company that was responsible for all those t-shirts. He got the fans riled up, then took their money as they "insulted" him.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM

14,319 posts, read 20,118,943 times
Ayers’ lawyer threatens to sue the university

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/arti...e469963470.txt

Quote:
Denver attorney David A. Lane sent an e-mail both to The Associated Press and UW on Monday that says he will file a lawsuit against the university for denying UW student Megan Lanker’s request to have Ayers speak at a venue on campus on April 28.

“Today, a student wanted permission to bring William Ayers to speak at the University of Wyoming,” the e-mail says. “Wyoming replied that the campus was not open to Professor Ayers.”

In an attachment to the e-mail, Lane warns UW he successfully represented professor Ward Churchill against the University of Colorado in a case involving First Amendment rights.

“It is my belief — and that of every court which has heard similar cases — that your action is violative of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution,” he says. “You are prohibiting Mr. Ayers from speaking in a public forum commonly used for such purposes and you are preventing those interested members of the student body and community at large from hearing his message based solely upon the content of that message.

“As you undoubtedly know,” Lane continues, “the government is not permitted to censor free speech based upon its content.”
AYERS TO VISIT LARAMIE APRIL 28

Ironic isn't it that Ayers is now getting far more attention and publicity then he would have if the University had simply let him speak.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-14-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWERK View Post
cptnrn says
Where did he say these things? Again you provide no evidence that he did or said any of the things you accuse him of. I seriously doubt that the academic community in the US would have embraced him they way they have if he had ever done so. You have nothing more then your own paranoid delusions to support your allegations.

Is the New York Times credible enough for you?
If you google Bill Ayers you can find enough BS spewed from this clown to know that he is a Liberty hating anti capitalist America hating jackass.
Where do you fit in?
So in the name of Liberty, you want to stifle Free Speech?

What is it that you think the New York Times have to say about him? I googled him and found lots of information, including this:

Quote:
Wall Street Journal columnist Thomas Frank praised Ayers as a "model citizen" and a scholar whose "work is esteemed by colleagues of different political viewpoints." [68]
I read everything that was written on the Wiki article about him, including:

Quote:
In response to Larry Grathwohl's claims, Ayers stated that:

"Never said it. Never thought it. And again, Larry Grathwohl, I don't know him today, but certainly the FBI was an organization built on lies."[55]

In an interview with ABC7 reporter Alan Wang, Ayers stated that "Now that's being blown into dishonest narratives about hurting people, killing people, planning to kill people. That's just not true. We destroyed government property," said Ayers
this:

Quote:
Ayers said that he had never been responsible for violence against other people and was acting to end a war in Vietnam in which “thousands of people were being killed every week.” He also stated, "While we did claim several extreme acts, they were acts of extreme radicalism against property,” and “We killed no one and hurt no one. Three of our people killed themselves.”[35]
and this:

Quote:
Praise for Ayers and his work

In 1997 Chicago awarded him its Citizen of the Year award for his work on the Chicago Annenberg Challenge project. [64]

William C. Ibershof, formerly the lead federal prosecutor in the Weather Underground case, wrote in 2008: "Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen." [65]

Ayers was elected Vice President for Curriculum Studies by the American Educational Research Association in 2008. [66] William H. Schubert, a fellow professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, wrote that his election was "a testimony of [Ayers'] stature and [the] high esteem he holds in the field of education locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally." [67]

Wall Street Journal columnist Thomas Frank praised Ayers as a "model citizen" and a scholar whose "work is esteemed by colleagues of different political viewpoints." [68]

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-14-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 01:23 PM

19 posts, read 36,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
I am no fan of Bill Ayers either politically or educationally, BUT this is what Universities do. They bring in contraversial speakers and allow people to make up their own mind.

Now I wouldn't have brought in Bill Ayers, because even though he was involved in some of the worst parts of the sixties, he is still too much of a fringe character. I have to wonder if his educational reputation is formed so much because of his 60's bombing and trials. Regardless he is a nationally know speaker, and Wyoming is off the beaten path for speakers.

On the U of Wyoming's website the front page has the reasoning for bring Bill Ayers. Purely to bring a contraversial speaker, because that is what Universities do.

It is a small step from 'I don't like Bill Ayers" & " I won't support the University" to I don't like Hillary or Obama, or Cheney, and if the University has either one of them speak I won't support it. We just could end up with no one ever speaking at the U just becaue the University is afraid of losing funding.

Getting a chance to see nationally know contraversial speakers benifits all. Whether it is Anne Coulter or Abie Hoffman.

Now the SDE having him address principals is an interesting approach, and if I can wrangle an invite to one of those I would go, just so I could report back. Still that being said from the political standpoint I have to wonder what McBride was thinking. Usually he is so cautious.

And lastly I am no Jim McBride fan. He has done little good for the SDE, and got elected by the blind party line voters. Hopefully he will be a one and done.
So Troutman - does that mean you would support bringing Osama bin Laden to speak at UW and let people decide if they want to become suicide bombers or not? And this event went WAY beyond letting people decide. He was being given a platform to spew his Anti-American HATE speech to gullible students and then - and THEN speak to WY principals! Why exactly are the principals even giving this guy one second of their attention? This is indoctrination - it is not "free speech". The University of Wyoming is hosting this and by virtue of that consider his point of view valid in some twisted way. What's next - Charles Manson?

I am considering moving to Wyoming and if I were already there I'd be giving holy H3LL to the people at UW who set this up. How many conservative speakers have been HOUNDED off the stage by liberals who don't want to hear their perspective? And these people are law abiding regular folks who those others happen to disagree with. Ayers is not even in the same league. So hounding Ayers out of Wyoming is just a wee bit of PAYBACK.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-15-2010 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Edited out a word.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Two things occur to me...
One is to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. I would sooner hear what Ayres has to say, so I could keep current on any looney ideas he may be espousing.
Two, if we abhor the disrespect shown to conservative speakers like Karl rove and Ann Coulter recently, then we can't turn around and treat Ayres as they were treated.
What Ayers has to say has been written in books and can be found all over the Internet when you google Social Justice and Education. You want to know where his head is? Then just check out the Bonilla agenda in Venezuela and start looking for signs that it is creeping into our schools and then SNUFF it out.

I know one thing for sure - if I had kids of my own - I'd be home schooling their butts. They would not set ONE foot in a public school of indoctrination.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Interesting.. the University of Nebraska canceled Ayers in 08 for similar reasons- "safety concerns" and public "outrage."

While I do believe in Freedom of Speech, I don't believe domestic terrorists should be given that freedom. It's like inviting Timothy McVee to have a chat. .
It goes beyond having a chat with McVeigh - this particular "chat" with Ayers was going to be WITH YOUR CHILDREN WHEN YOU WERE NOT THERE. Ayers should be given an XXX rating so that children under 21 cannot hear him without parents in attendance. Just like a violent movie or an overtly sexual movie. He is THAT dangerous to young minds...young IMPRESSIONABLE minds.

I am betting he misses the days of student protests against Vietname and "the man" and is looking to start a whole new student revolution movement against the establishment... make NO mistake about it.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
wasn't there a privately donated fund given to the University to have Ayers there? I thought I read that somewhere
Yeah probably GEORGE SOROS another evil human being who needs to be removed from this earth.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There is so much 'stuff in your reply that needs a reponse, it is hard to know where to respond. So I will start with this. And will respond with more later. .....

I watched that movie and found no reason to give that fruitcake any credibility. You are being incredibly gullibale and easily manipulated if you buy into that. Do you really believe everything you see and read on the internet? This is proboganda, this is BS! That is not Bill Ayers speaking. And we have no reason to believe the rantings of that individual represent the opinions of Bill Ayers or anyone else. Show me a speach by Bill Ayers and I will give it some credibility.

There is no reason for us to believe that this person is a credible witness to anything that happened, or wasn't just making things up to build up his own value to the FBI, or to get off of his own "drug bust". Most FBI witnesses are criminals themselves who are cooperating with the FBI in order to reduce their own sentences for criminal activity. At best he was involved with the Weatherman about 6 months. I find it hard to believe he could reach any level of authority or credibility in that amount of time.

YES! Absolutely, I would even pay to hear them speak. As would most historians and students of Political Science. It would be an historical event of great interest. What intelligent person would not be willing to travel back in time and hear the rantings of these people, and try to understand how it was that they were able to influence so many of their fellow human beings into going along with such unspeakable acts?

What they did was horrible, but how are we to prevent it from happening again if we do not understand it?

If the Universities, where we are educating our future leaders, is not the place to learn from history, to try and understand these things, then were is that place?

Where is that place???

Where in there does it say that "intent" has any bearing at all on the 'Freedom of speech"??

The First amendment puts NO qualifiers on the Freedom of Speech. . . . Period!

The right to "peaceably assemble" is a separate issue (note the ";" (which you seem to have overlooked). There is NO Free Speach if it can be qualified by the latest party in power or prevailing opinions. The greatest value in "Freedom of Speech" is that it is extended to "ALL".

INCLUDING right wing GOP extremist wing-nuts who advocate the dissolution of the United States and expound numerous opinions that are distasteful to many other Americans. Such as many of the rantings that I see here on these forums every day.

Those who try to silence the voices of those that they disagree with are the real enemies of free speech.

His motive? WHO? Larry Grathwohl? Again we have no evidence that his rantings portray anything of meaning, or represent in any way the opinions of .

Allowing someone to speak, who we disagree with, doesn't do any of that. And I have yet to see that anyone is trying to take away your right to do anything.

You have presented no evidence of any of this, so at this time it appears to be nothing more then your own paranoid rantings.

Where did he say these things? Again you provide no evidence that he did or said any of the things you accuse him of. I seriously doubt that the academic community in the US would have embraced him they way they have if he had ever done so. You have nothing more then your own paranoid delusions to support your allegations.

"I have no fear of "ideas". What I have fear of is those who oppose the free exchange of ideas!"

R
Much can be learned from BOOKS on the topic. There is no need to give a VOICE to people who seek to destroy our country. PERIOD. End of story. You want to listen to him ? Then YOU get on a plane and hear him in Chicago. The people of Wyoming can't be forced to roll out a welcome mat for a domestic terrorist who is really just Timothy McVeigh lite.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 AM

102 posts, read 138,314 times
Well, here ya go. Scumbags Ayers and and Lanker are at the forefront of the news, making good on their threat to sue. He gets his fee, gets to speak at the Civic Center no matter what, and additionally wants to collect who-knows-how-much via this suit.

Updated April 17, 2010

Controversial Professor Bill Ayers Suing Univ. of Wyoming

Associated Press

LARAMIE, Wyo. — Bill Ayers and a University of Wyoming student are suing the school after it banned the former 1960s radical from speaking on campus.

Ayers, who is a professor at the University of Illinois-Chicago, makes college speeches and is routinely picketed, but the University of Wyoming last week banned him from using any university venue for a planned April 28 lecture.

Ayers and student Meg Lanker sued on Thursday, asking a federal judge to issue an injunction and allow the lecture. The lawsuit alleges the ban violates free speech rights and the freedom to assemble.

A spokeswoman declined to comment on the suit.

Lanker told the Casper Star-Tribune that Ayers will speak at the Laramie Civic Center if he's not allowed on campus.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiness View Post
So Troutman - does that mean you would support bringing Osama bin Laden to speak at UW and let people decide if they want to become suicide bombers or not? And this event went WAY beyond letting people decide. He was being given a platform to spew his Anti-American HATE speech to gullible students and then - and THEN speak to WY principals! Why exactly are the principals even giving this guy one second of their attention? This is indoctrination - it is not "free speech". The University of Wyoming is hosting this and by virtue of that consider his point of view valid in some twisted way. What's next - Charles Manson?

I am considering moving to Wyoming and if I were already there I'd be giving holy H3LL to the people at UW who set this up. How many conservative speakers have been HOUNDED off the stage by liberals who don't want to hear their perspective? And these people are law abiding regular folks who those others happen to disagree with. Ayers is not even in the same league. So hounding Ayers out of Wyoming is just a wee bit of PAYBACK.
I absolutely believe that FREE adults have every right to decide for themselves if they want to hear Osama bin Landen or anyone else speak.

"Anti-American HATE speech" where do you get that? I have been researching a lot about Bill Ayers and cannot find anything to support your allegations. What I am finding is an incredible amount of paranoid bigoted opinions based on nothing but hatred and fear.

"speech to gullible students ": Do you truly have such a low opinion of college age students? Do you really think young adults should not be allowed to think for themselves, and YOU have the right to decide for them how they should think?

" This is indoctrination - it is not "free speech": NO one is being forced to attend these speeches, so how can this be indoctrination? Indoctrination is all about introducing bias in thinking by controlling and limiting the ideas that students are exposed to. Excluding the free exchange of ideas is indoctrination. Allowing only those who we agree with to speak is indoctrination. Indoctrination is what you are doing when you try to silence someone you disagree with.

"... and then - and THEN speak to WY principals!": OMG! he was going to be allowed to speak to intelligent, educated adults, who we have already decided are competent to lead our schools! How dare we trust them to be capable of listening to a man speak and decide for themselves if there is any value in the ideas he shares.

"How many conservative speakers have been HOUNDED off the "University of Wyoming" stage by liberals who don't want to hear their perspective?": How many? Apparently you can't substantiate your claims or you would have. You make claims and allegations but produce no evidence that anything happened beyond your personal visions.

"So hounding Ayers out of Wyoming is just a wee bit of PAYBACK.": I see, hounding conservative speakers off of the stage is "WRONG", but hounding Ayers out of Wyoming is perfectly fine. My what a double standard you live by.

Definition of "hypocrite": a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess,

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-18-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming