Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 AM

9 posts, read 15,566 times

Advertisements

I live in Pennsylvania in august im fixing to move to WY to start a life im 22 single no kids but im not really sure what to look for out there i have family members that live in rock springs there willing to give me a place to stay at etc. But jobs well im not sure what to do i worked on a oil rig 7 months then they shut down alot of people say try the mining places im a country guy i know alot about cows etc ive lived around horses all my life what kind of jobs are down that way do u think i would be interested in im willing to try about any thing. So let me know what i should be looking forward to Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 AM

I raised heffers for 3 years for pa's biggest farm but they got mexicans an did away with most of the employees are ranch farms any goood up that way up here i get tops 7.25$ a hour . I work 100+ hours a week just to get a 600$ paycheck i was told there are ranches that give u a place to stay etc a place for a horse an alot more is this true ?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 AM

I just got off the phone, I was told there are jobs around as ranch hands but u need exp. etc does anyone know any ranches down that way that hire well im not a green horn i can ride a horse like no ones business but ive fixed fences etc branded cows i know what kind of sick stuff to look for around here but im not sure if its similar to what we dear with around here.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 6,229,841 times
Ranches in the Rock Springs are area huge they run in comm during the winter on hundreds of thousand acres during the winter, not any fencing but herding and almost all the employees are H-2A, mostly from South America. Just maybe you might get on one that has a farming operation up around Farson, but most the hands there are H-2A.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Ranches in the Rock Springs are area huge they run in comm during the winter on hundreds of thousand acres during the winter, not any fencing but herding and almost all the employees are H-2A, mostly from South America. Just maybe you might get on one that has a farming operation up around Farson, but most the hands there are H-2A.
Ya i kinda known about the cattle running free lol but i did not know about H-2A what is it cheaper pay or something ? so most likley a white guy isnt gonna get hired because the H-2A people ?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM

you might find something in Ag up toward Pinedale probally spring fenceing and then flood irrigating . But come fall there wouldn't be much.
H-2A is used when you can't finded someone that will sleep in a camp wagon or tent, 7 days a week on horse back for $675 to $800/ month with no days off, food get delivered usually 3 days a week during the winter when in the camp wagon and once a week on the moutain during the summer. So Foreign Guest workers are brought in on a 3 year contract, or the H-2A program.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM

I would say most Ag work in the State is Seasonal, Spring fence fixing and tractor work, or a night herder for calving. Summer there be pipe changers, either hand lines or side roll, hay,not sure in the row row areas. Fall harvest area might need truck divers to haul grain or Sugar beets, maybe a feeding job in the winter.
Most farm and ranches are family operations, useing family members, who probally also got a job in town. Brandings, roundups, shipping, Preg checking usual end up being neighbors helping each other.
There are a place here and there that might hire a year round hand, usually those with a a few employees end up useing H-2A. Even the few dairy left in my area that use more then family are useing guest workers.
Know of one big ranch in the red wall country that hires interns, you get room and board a few dollars a month and maybe make it to town 2 times a month, funny thing is they have a waiting list to get to work for almost nothing.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM

the Wyoming livestock roundup dose list some jobs
Ads - 04. Help Wanted

most are contract summer riding jobs, one is a seasonal bunk house situation, one a maintance man for a feedlot, there was one for a part or full time on a sheep ranch.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Sounds like they want someone who rides sleeps etc in the mountians so people can come with family an tour things ? but they pay little money but if u love country an riding a horse its a good job ? I also am a certified chef i went to school for 3 years for it but im a out doors guy i currently work in a saw mill then take care of claves at nite ~ ya very busy but its the only way one can make ends meet. So is there any ranches that have horses that they let u ride etc for pretty much anything i havent been on a horse since 2002 i was at tri state gamer show, i ran that day but my mom also is a pro gamer ya she beat me by 3 sec haha but she won 2002 national pole rider award shes the best of the best that year lol but since then i havnt been on one really school collage etc. so i guess the question is how hard is it to find a horse =D ive also green broke several 2 - 3 year olds. idk might help me idk lol

Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
ted2,

Perhaps you should set your sights a little higher. You sound like a healthy young man, willing to work hard. You could probably do better for yourself then low paying farm/ranch work. Chances are you could probably make more working as a chef, even if it is for a short while while you take classes or job training to improve your skills and qualifications.

If you want to target a job working outdoors, how about heavy equipment operator. I have heard it doesn't take all that long to get training and certified. There is probably a pretty large demand for those skills in the various mining activities around Rock Springs. Another great outdoors job is land surveying. I took a drafting class in high school, which helped me get a job surveying and drafting in the Jefferey City uranium mines. I started out as a rod man, pounding stakes and worked up to instrument man and party chief. Check with civil engineering firms in the areas, they are often looking for strong young helpers to start out in the survey crews.

You are not too old to focus on improving your job training skills. I grew up in Wyoming and it wasn't until I was 22 years old that I started going to college. I was not the only older student at that point, but I was more serious then most of the younger ones, and worked hard to get good grades. I had only enough money when I started to support myself through 2 semesters, but I worked hard at getting good grades and that helped me get financial aid loans, scholarships and work/study jobs to help me keep going. I started out in engineering, changed my major a couple of times and ended up with a Master of Architecture degree. I'm a heck of a lot better off now then I would have been if I'd kept working as a surveyor.

A little time invested now in building your skills can take you a long way in life.

According to the City-Data data page for Rocksprings. http://www.city-data.com/city/Rock-Springs-Wyoming.html

The median household income in 2008: $58,554 so there is potential to make a lot more then what you are looking at.

Mining, quarrying, construction, utilities, chemicals are the most common industries in the area for males.

There is a community college in Rock Springs Western Wyoming Community College You should check it out. They have classes in all these areas below that could easily lead into good jobs in the area.
Welding Technology
Oil & Gas Technology
Mining Maintenance
Automotive Technology
Industrial Maintenance
Compression Technology
Diesel Technology / Heavy Equipment Maintenance
Electrical and Instrumentation Technology
Industrial Safety

YOu can find a list of all the businesses in Rock Springs here Rock Springs Chamber of Commerce (http://www.rockspringschamber.com/members_industrial_services.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming