Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 AM

83 posts, read 952,597 times

Advertisements

This is good to hear as well. Are there any towns or areas that you would suggest if I wanted a university nearby to work on a masters or are there areas with more oppurtunities than others? I understand that people in this region are very different than out east, not to say that this is a bad thing, and I have heard that the scenery is much better, is this really the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 11:55 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,248,380 times
Default Universities

Quote:
Originally Posted by James9283 View Post
This is good to hear as well. Are there any towns or areas that you would suggest if I wanted a university nearby to work on a masters or are there areas with more oppurtunities than others? I understand that people in this region are very different than out east, not to say that this is a bad thing, and I have heard that the scenery is much better, is this really the case?
In Wyoming the only University is the University of WY located in Laramie. There are distance learning classes though (online, etc.) that might work for you. Cheyenne isn't far from Laramie if a bigger town would be better. However, sometimes the interstate between Cheyenne and Laramie can be closed because of weather.

Of course anyone from WY thinks that this is the place to live. I think the scenery is much better. It just depends on what you like. I have a friend who grew up in D.C. she hated how brown it gets here and she thought it was very barren. (I'm in SE WY) I love it.

People are different here - in a great way! Much more friendly. I think anyway.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,903,999 times
Default Do not!

Do not move to Wyoming. You will only encounter wonderful people, a wonderful view, great fun. So just stay home and vegitate. hahahaha That's all tongue in cheak. It is so beautiful out here, you can't believe it. Today, it's only 17 degrees, but there are deer in my yard, snow on the ground and most importantly. The mountians are white.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 20,602 times
Smile Laramie area

I am looking to move to there in April. I have searched the Net for information and have found very little. I went to a nearby bookstore and looked for a travel guide on WY...couldn't find any.

I am interested in understanding what crops grow well there, what are the time-frames for the seasons, what is the typical winter..length, temperature,etc.

I have friends there and will initially stay with them but I am hoping to move into the country side and build a "independent" home/cabin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for info?

Excitedly,

CW

Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,946,878 times
Info on growing seasons, crops, types of vege's to grow, gardening info in general ...

from the Univ of Wyoming, through the local county extension office. The extension agents know the crops, and there should be someone in the office who is responsible for the local horticulturist's program.

There will be a Master Gardener program, too ... although I believe that all of them have started classes for this year. You can contact the county agent to find out who's running the program and get in touch with the local Master Gardener's group. Nominal charge for the classes, and the MG groups do consults as a community service.

Some of the local nurserys will have a knowledgeable person on staff, but you'll have to stop in and visit to get more information. This is pretty variable; there's a lot of folks in the biz who couldn't tell you the difference between many varieties and soils and moisture and temps, etc.

The growing season is short here at altitude. Root vegetables, tomatoes, lettuce, squash, cucumbers will all grow well, if you choose the right varieties for the season (hint: don't plant just one type each year ...). A greenhouse may extend your productive season. Hot beds are also helpful for starting seeds and small plants, as long as you remember to "harden" off the plants when the days warm up.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 20,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Info on growing seasons, crops, types of vege's to grow, gardening info in general ...

from the Univ of Wyoming, through the local county extension office. The extension agents know the crops, and there should be someone in the office who is responsible for the local horticulturist's program.

There will be a Master Gardener program, too ... although I believe that all of them have started classes for this year. You can contact the county agent to find out who's running the program and get in touch with the local Master Gardener's group. Nominal charge for the classes, and the MG groups do consults as a community service.

Some of the local nurserys will have a knowledgeable person on staff, but you'll have to stop in and visit to get more information. This is pretty variable; there's a lot of folks in the biz who couldn't tell you the difference between many varieties and soils and moisture and temps, etc.

The growing season is short here at altitude. Root vegetables, tomatoes, lettuce, squash, cucumbers will all grow well, if you choose the right varieties for the season (hint: don't plant just one type each year ...). A greenhouse may extend your productive season. Hot beds are also helpful for starting seeds and small plants, as long as you remember to "harden" off the plants when the days warm up.
Excellent info..you have some ideas I didn't think of.

I can't wait to transplant myself.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 15,880 times
There is a teacher shortage in some certification areas and there are a lot of us here that are retiring soon.

Having taught high school here for 30 years, I can tell you that Wyoming is a great place to live and teach.

Yes, the state is booming and house is scarce and expensive but there is no finer state in which to raise your children.

Clear skies,

Old 09-13-2008, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,915 times
Default Please help

My family and I are moving to Casper. My wife has been a teacher for 10 years in California. What certification areas have shortages?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole51walleye View Post
There is a teacher shortage in some certification areas and there are a lot of us here that are retiring soon.

Having taught high school here for 30 years, I can tell you that Wyoming is a great place to live and teach.

Yes, the state is booming and house is scarce and expensive but there is no finer state in which to raise your children.

Clear skies,

Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,900,247 times
If it is similar to South Dakota, industrial arts, mathematics, science, and special education would be areas that there are a need for teachers. In South Dakota, it is tough for schools to find and keep teachers who teach math, science, shop, and special ed. What does not help is that SD is very low in teacher pay. SD loses some of its teachers and teaching grads to neiboring states such as Wyoming, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Wyoming is a place with decent people and low crime.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 PM

330 posts, read 1,091,706 times
I live here in Casper, and I think you have to look for the jobs (not a lot of advertisement). Google the Natrona County School District site or check out this one: WYOMING SCHOOL DISTRICT CONTACT INFORMATION (http://www.wsba-wy.org/distinfo.html - broken link) or check out Casper College at www.caspercollege.edu as an alternative as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming