U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:53 PM

677 posts, read 921,100 times

Advertisements

How about "Endangered Species"? Filmed in and around Sheridan/Buffalo in 1982.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,266 times
>>How about one of my all time favorite Wyoming movies Spencer's Mountain with Henry Fonda. Showed Jackson Hole at its best.<<

Most of exterior shots where Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara lived were at "Buffalo Dorm", 200 yards form the Moran Jct near the Buffalo Forks park entrance. It was first John Hogan's ranch in the 1930s I believe, then it became the Snake River Land Co. where John Rockefeller and others purchased land for the park. It eventually became the "Buffalo Dorm" because park rangers lived there, specifically those assigned to Buffalo Forks entrance (I know this because I went parties there).

Have no idea where there interior shots were filmed, because the fireplace is different than the Buffalo Dorm, though other parts seem almost exact.

The "new house" and the high school graduation and barn scenes were filmed at the Triangle X Ranch.

The Church of the Transfiguration near Jenny Lake and the old church in Jackson were both used for exterior shots.

Apparently the local communities were very excited about this filming, special celebrations and an opening at the theater in Jackson were scheduled.

When I worked in the Tetons in 1968 and 1971 people were STILL talking about this movie even though the TNPS entertainment for rangers often was a showing of "Shane" when I was there.

Anyway, trivia no one cares about now.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 AM

405 posts, read 452,942 times
Starship Troopers was filmed at Hells Half Acre.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:33 PM

79 posts, read 161,252 times
This is a great thread! I've put several of the movies on my 'to watch' list. Does anyone know if any movies have been shot in Yellowstone?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
The Venezuela scenes in Hellfighters were filmed about 15 miles west of Casper in an area called Bessmer Bend. The airport used is the old Wardwell Air Field and Casper Mountain is in the background. Tom Horn actually was shot and killed in a place around a small Wyoming town called Wheatland in Platte County. [Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-14-2011 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Sorry, new users cannot post links.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,285,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_pitts View Post
The Venezuela scenes in Hellfighters were filmed about 15 miles west of Casper in an area called Bessmer Bend. The airport used is the old Wardwell Air Field and Casper Mountain is in the background. Tom Horn actually was shot and killed in a place around a small Wyoming town called Wheatland in Platte County.
Tom Horn was executed in Cheyenne Nov.20, 1903. You're probably talking about where young Willie Nickell was shot, and Tom was blamed for it (framed? ).

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 AM

448 posts, read 585,589 times
Wind River, although filmed in Utah I guess; have not seen yet but on the buy DVD list. And perhaps not specific to Wyoming itself, I guess the story's pretty engaging. IMDB.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 PM

248 posts, read 227,917 times
An opening scene from 'Star Trek - The Motion Picture' had the actor Leonard Nimoy (as 'Spock') kneeling beside the Grand-Prismatic Pool, in Yellowstone Park...which was later modified on the Directors Cut to add background which the Park officials (justifiably) did'nt allow brought into the park.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 AM

919 posts, read 734,342 times
Cat Ballou was supposedly set in Wolf City, WY. Looked like Cali, though. Part of Hell Fighters was done out by Bessemer Bend. Had family who wrangled on that.

Oh, geez, what was the film that used Hell's Half Acre as their set? Something with giant alien spiders? Knew some kids that walked around burning the sagebrush for that one.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:28 PM

14,526 posts, read 21,161,315 times
There is a new movie out "Blackthorn", about Butch Cassidy. I could not find any information on where it was filmed, but during part of the movie he is supposed to be on his way back to Wyoming from Bolivia.

Quote:
"In the new film Blackthorn, director Mateo Gil ponders what might have happened if Butch Cassidy didn't die in a hale of bullets at San Vincente. Magnolia today released a new trailer for the film, which stars Sam Shepard in the role made famous by Paul Newman:
Blackthorn (Official Movie Site) - Starring Sam Shepard, Eduardo Noriega, Stephen Rea and Magaly Solier - Now on Demand and In Theatres - Trailer, Pictures & More

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming