Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 37,828 times

Advertisements

I am reading these posts with fascination as everyone has suggestions and opinions, it is really wonderful. To my friend ElkHunter, I don't know what a grain truck looks like and can only imagine, but I do drive a stick shift convertible sports car like nobodies business, weaving in and out of yellow taxi cabs and racing to the death to obtain the very last parking space on my block I absolutely love animals and nature. If it comes down to sitting in my home during a snowstorm watching the animals (half of which you mention, I have only seen at a zoo), well then I will find new hobbies such as photography, and I will learn about each critter. Yes, Trouthead, I plan on making a real effort to meet people, this is a must for a new member of the community. Each person comes with their own story, which makes life very interesting. Guess I will have to throw out all my delivery menus and trade them in for... propane? My only absolute is that I find a place to live that will accept my dog, cats and fish (no, they are not trout) I don't know what kind they are! I really want to hike and see the countryside, but I wouldn't dare by myself, as I would be terrified, so a guided tour or group is in order. Another wish is to ride horseback to experience the outdoors-maybe with a little luck I will find myself a real cowboy! Thanks for all this advice, I have read it over several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Parking in downtown Jackson in the summer is a hassle and one area in which you might have developed superior skills except parking around the square and a block or so out your only allowed one hour and they do hire a crew who just walk around and chalk your car. Broadway coming into town from the west is 4lanes so you can try the weaving in and out thing. Lots of RV's on the roads you can pass too.

If ya end up living in town biking around during the two warm months is a good way to go. The cottonwoods in town start turning yellow in late August. Jackson has a pretty large Hispanic population so the mexican food is awesome and there is even a decent chinese place. The pizza, well you do realize that you will have to make a few sacrifices.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bverlen View Post
I am reading these posts with fascination as everyone has suggestions and opinions, it is really wonderful. To my friend ElkHunter, I don't know what a grain truck looks like and can only imagine, but I do drive a stick shift convertible sports car like nobodies business, weaving in and out of yellow taxi cabs and racing to the death to obtain the very last parking space on my block I absolutely love animals and nature. If it comes down to sitting in my home during a snowstorm watching the animals (half of which you mention, I have only seen at a zoo), well then I will find new hobbies such as photography, and I will learn about each critter. Yes, Trouthead, I plan on making a real effort to meet people, this is a must for a new member of the community. Each person comes with their own story, which makes life very interesting. Guess I will have to throw out all my delivery menus and trade them in for... propane? My only absolute is that I find a place to live that will accept my dog, cats and fish (no, they are not trout) I don't know what kind they are! I really want to hike and see the countryside, but I wouldn't dare by myself, as I would be terrified, so a guided tour or group is in order. Another wish is to ride horseback to experience the outdoors-maybe with a little luck I will find myself a real cowboy! Thanks for all this advice, I have read it over several times.

Knowing how to drive a stick shift puts you ahead of many natives. I'm a stick shift man, too. In fact, a man in the service department at a dealer once referred to my truck as the one with the stick shift.

If you love seeing animals, you will love Wyoming. But don't expect to see them from your window during a snowstorm, They don't care to be out in it any more than you do.

Start making some inquiries regrding rentals now. You'll be able to find out whether you're going to have a hard time. But you will find a place where your pets will be welcome.

You didn't say how big your dog is; but unless you have a really small one, you'll have good hiking companion. Really small dogs are in danger from hawks, so you'll need to use a short leash. Hawks normally won't come close to a human. Oherwise, get a 25' leash and start out with a very short hike. You'll build confidence. Everyone does as they beccome more familiar with the outdoors. Your dog will let you know if there's a big creature on the prowl. Even a city dog can do it.

I'm sure there are deliveries in Jackson. It's the most urban city in the state. There is natural gas in town. You would probably be happy with bear spray when you can't see buildings. You can buy it there.

People who make an effort have little or no problem fitting in. You seem to be more than willing.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 AM

I am happy to know I can eat Mexican food as it is one of my favorites I love animals and am fascinated by them. Although living in the heart of midtown, I don't have the opportunity to see much of a variety and there are never any chance sightings of animals other than domestic ones. My dog is 55 pounds and really in shape, but she hates to walk! She lives for serious games of fetch. However, I was hoping that she may change her mind if I brought her on a nice trail. In the city she sits down on the sidewalk and refuses to get up immediately upon leaving our apartment building and I don't enjoy walking with her because I have to practically drag her along. I was wondering if the different scents that only she can detect and the fresh air may inspire her to move along. I would welcome the opportunity to explore the trails-nice and slow at first. When I can't see tall buildings or have concrete underneath my feet, while listening to non stop horns and sirens, I admit that I feel a little out of my comfort zone! With that being said, I can't wait to experience skiing, snowmobiling, nature, trails and hikes, rafting, horseback riding and so many other things that I have been wanting to do. Living in the city all my life has offered me a world of opportunities, but yet I think I have missed out on experiencing many things as well.I would never try to bring NYC to Wyoming-thats the entire reason of moving there-to have a change of pace and lifestyle!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
I am soooooo jealous! This is my dream but the wife won't go. Best of luck to you. I love Wyoming. When you have time, visit Dubois and Riverton. Both nice towns. The people of Wyoming are amazingly friendly. You'll love it there.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Dear JeepeJeep- what is your dream? to visit NYC? What part of the country are you located? I plan trips for people who visit NYC so you can relay to your wife I would be happy to supervise your entire stay and make plans for entertainment and all details-If you are referring to NYC, why won't she come? Maybe I can help you achieve this dream with her in tow?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Quote:
Dear JeepeJeep- what is your dream? to visit NYC? What part of the country are you located? I plan trips for people who visit NYC so you can relay to your wife I would be happy to supervise your entire stay and make plans for entertainment and all details-If you are referring to NYC, why won't she come? Maybe I can help you achieve this dream with her in tow?
Jeep says he lives in NY so I think what he meant is that moving to Wyoming is his dream. That's the way I read it anyway!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Jeep says he lives in NY so I think what he meant is that moving to Wyoming is his dream. That's the way I read it anyway!
BINGO! I don't know how else you could take the post! I hate NY. I've lived here for all my 57 years and it's gone to crap. Taxes, crime, traffic, over crowding, full of liberals. Can't wait to move. She'll never go out west, but we'll get out into the country someplace. Probably PA or Virginia.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM

As for most places, there is good and bad things about living in various communities. You are so correct, the things you mentioned are drawbacks to NY. The individual has to decide the motives for their move, or try to deal with the issues where they currently live. In my case, I love New York as much as ever, frankly I could be very content here for years to come. But, I seek a total change in lifestyle -different scenery, environment, new friends, new experiences. A lot of people I know stay put in their current community due to family ties or because they have a secure career. Guess, I am either lucky or unlucky depending on ones point of view, as I have neither, therefore not much to lose. Maybe I will learn that I can adopt easier than I thought and end up really happy, thinking I should have given up the city life and moved to Wyoming years ago, or perhaps I will discover that Wyoming isn't for me, but either way, there is a whole world to explore and many new adventures waiting. From what I have learned from others, I think Wyoming is a place where I could find the change I am seeking.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:55 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
As for most places, there is good and bad things about living in various communities. You are so correct, the things you mentioned are drawbacks to NY. The individual has to decide the motives for their move, or try to deal with the issues where they currently live. In my case, I love New York as much as ever, frankly I could be very content here for years to come. But, I seek a total change in lifestyle -different scenery, environment, new friends, new experiences. A lot of people I know stay put in their current community due to family ties or because they have a secure career. Guess, I am either lucky or unlucky depending on ones point of view, as I have neither, therefore not much to lose. Maybe I will learn that I can adopt easier than I thought and end up really happy, thinking I should have given up the city life and moved to Wyoming years ago, or perhaps I will discover that Wyoming isn't for me, but either way, there is a whole world to explore and many new adventures waiting. From what I have learned from others, I think Wyoming is a place where I could find the change I am seeking.
Having once made the Big Move from a very eastern Big City (not NY) to the West I can relate to much of what you're saying. There comes a time when it seems like a wise move to get out and try something else! And you probably won't regret it. But read Annie Proulx's short story "Man Crawling Out of Trees" in "Bad Dirt"--that's the best story about Eastern attitudes vs. Western ethics that I've read in a long time. It'll tell you so much about the different expectations of life and your neighbors. I know Proulx is controversial because of her "Brokeback Mountain," but BM is actually not a typical Proulx story., so if you didn't like BM, just disregard it. She is a great WY storyteller, iMO.
Best of luck! Coming out West is a life-altering experience for some of us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming