Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times

Advertisements

Any reason why Goodwill doesnt have many store fronts or donation centers down here? I noticed theres a lot of trailers with someone having to sit in it, or in there car, all day. Any reason why they cant just build buildings or move into empty storefronts? Doesnt seem to make sense to me to set up random trailers everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM

29 posts, read 84,113 times
Both Goodwill and Salvation Army now sell donations received on auction sites, similar to eBay. I believe that all donations are transported in those trucks you see to sorting centers. They probably take out valuable items and sell them on their auction sites because if you've ever gone into a Goodwill store (there's one in Steele Creek near Target) you'd quickly see that basically there's nothing there but clothing and household "junk". Even the clothing has been sorted through; the "better" brands are seldom seen on the racks of the Goodwill or SA stores. I recently brought donations to the Steele Creek store. The "lower quality" items were put out on the shelves of the store. But I had also donated some items of considerable value. I never saw those in the store. It's certainly in the Goodwill's interest to have donations sorted by people who can spot value. Then, by selling the valuable item by auction, they make more money. Which, of course, is the donor's intention.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Umm ive shopped at Goodwill several times, and found some great stuff. I never found anything decent at Salvation Army. My girlfriend and I donate to Goodwill a few times a year. I was wondering where there was a Goodwill.... is that the Super Target, off 160?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 PM

174 posts, read 502,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Umm ive shopped at Goodwill several times, and found some great stuff. I never found anything decent at Salvation Army. My girlfriend and I donate to Goodwill a few times a year. I was wondering where there was a Goodwill.... is that the Super Target, off 160?
It's across 49 from where Target is, right at the intersection with 160. Behind the Exxon station. They have some good finds there - I've scored quite a few records, books, and some cool vintage shirts!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 84,113 times
Check out shopgoodwill.com and you'll see what I mean by auctions. I'm not saying Goodwill stores don't have some nice things. I've found great items there, also. I'm just saying that Goodwill seems to be much more careful these days about sorting through donations. If they just put all donations directly on store shelves, they might mistakenly sell a very valuable item for $1.99. The sorting centers probably also work to eliminate clothing with broken zippers, etc. so people that do visit the stores don't end up buying defective items. I've noticed a lot of Goodwill and Salvation Army stores sell Target returns. You can recognize them by the green return stickers. I think that's really wonderful. Many stores just destroy the items. We're a very wasteful society. By donating to Goodwill, Target is helping to salvage items that can be reused.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 PM

12 posts, read 53,111 times
There used to be a great Goodwill store just inside of Charlotte off of Pineville-Matthews Hwy. I haven't lived there in years, so maybe someone else can comment on if it still exists, or maybe you could post on the Charlotte forum, if that's not too far for you...I used to get great clothes there!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 AM

299 posts, read 1,071,182 times
I was wondering the same thing! We made LARGE donations last weekend, but we didn't realize someone was manning the trailers, so my husband drove further to get to an actual store-front. Other places we've lived, the drop-sites were not manned by people and if you wanted a receipt you had to go to the store to make donations.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Any reason why Goodwill doesnt have many store fronts or donation centers down here? I noticed theres a lot of trailers with someone having to sit in it, or in there car, all day. Any reason why they cant just build buildings or move into empty storefronts? Doesnt seem to make sense to me to set up random trailers everywhere.
Lancaster has a store built just for them on Hwy. 9 near the Home Depot. Rock Hill has the one metioned on 160, I think, and I'm guessing there are others in Pineville, Charlotte and Monroe.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Saw the one across from Super Target, looks nice. ill probably try that one.

Im guessing Goodwill might build one between the Wendys and Town Tavern area where they have had "Coming Soon - Sams Car Wash" sign.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 13,958 times
There is one in Rock Hill as well on Albright Rd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties