U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM

704 posts, read 1,806,514 times

Advertisements

I went to City Hall in Rock Hill and was given a copy of Article II Pets, sec. 6-31 through 6-51.

They could not find any mention of the phrase "howling and barking dogs".

All they could find was the issue if a pet being a "nuisance" to others.

They said the York County animal control has full authority to enforce the city ordinances related to animals. They also said visit the police dept. also. I did both.

I called animal control and they said step one is to send a pamphlet to the dog owners. Next would come a visit and the dog owners and the people who listen to the barking, all parties meet and discuss the matter.
The next step, if needed, would be the animal control would send an officer out (a police officer). He would warn them, stop the barking or face a fine. If the dog had barked for 2 hours straight, but was not barking when the officer arrived, then the officer leaves. It is the burden of the victim to prove that the dog was barking. The police officer said that could be something as simple as a cell phone camera photo.

Animal control said you can use voice activated tape recorders that record the duration of the barking as well as the times.

If the officer comes out and the dog is not barking, the victim can file for a hearing before a judge. The fine is not $25 like I thought, it is over $200, and the officer said people will not want to pay many $200+ fines.
They'll move the cage, let the dogs inside, etc.

There are anti barking collars at Walmart for $37, but how many dog owners would let a neighbor force them, to put such a collar on their pet, even if the victim paid for the collars?

They said they go out, and talk to the dog owners. But, how many dogs owners can control the barking of a dog unless it is kept inside?
I've never told a dog to stop barking and had him listen. Dogs will bark, that is how they communicate. And many will bark when they hear another dog barking a couple blocks over.

I went to the house I may buy, despite there being 3 dogs chained and caged within 25 feet of my bedroom. One owner was washing his car and his own dog was barking at him. He ignored the dog and the dog kept barking.

I can not reject this house because of the dogs. I could buy a house and the neighbors have no dogs. A month later, someone could move and in comes a new neighbor with a barking dog.

My problem is I'll unlikely get a 2nd person to agree that the dogs are barking too much. I'm the only person within 100+ feet of the dogs, other than the owners. I've always lived in places that did not allow outdoor dogs, so, to suddenly move into a place with 3 dogs only 25 feet from my bedroom is not comforting.

It sounds difficult, and enemy making, to take dog owner's to court.
The judge could rule in their favor any way.

Trying the other electronic device is an option, but it says it may not work on all dogs. Has anyone tried that device?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 AM

10,802 posts, read 14,769,412 times
A former neighbor tells me that my next door neighbor has 6 dogs, two inside and 4 outside. I am 25 feet from 2 that are caged 24 hours a day, 30 feet from one that is chained 24 hours a day and there is a 4th dog with a dog house on the side of the house.

Is anyone aware of amy rules on "how many"?

I went to city hall and all they gave me was the city ordinance.

When 1 of these dogs starts to bark they all do, the outside ones, so the sheer volume of dogs is making the problem worse.

I only see them feed the ones if the cage and nothing more. Can the Humane Society be of any value? These dogs should have some freedom. If they all were loose and ran around, the barking torture that I experience would subside.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,568,273 times
Didn't you see all this when you bought the house? If they are out 24 hours a day you should have. I am weary of any house I looked at that had a doghouse outside, let alone a fenced in kennel.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
Naeem 5,

install surveillance equipment surrounding your property and it's borders,
catalog if and when the barking starts/stops,
this will put you at ease while you're away, and will in some way protect your property from people defacing/destroying your belongings if it escalates.

Audio/video does not lie, put up surveillance signs all over, away from your fences/out of reach. See if that helps, be patient, some people will never learn common sense or courtesy.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 AM

857 posts, read 1,769,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
A former neighbor tells me that my next door neighbor has 6 dogs, two inside and 4 outside. I am 25 feet from 2 that are caged 24 hours a day, 30 feet from one that is chained 24 hours a day and there is a 4th dog with a dog house on the side of the house.

Is anyone aware of amy rules on "how many"?

I went to city hall and all they gave me was the city ordinance.

When 1 of these dogs starts to bark they all do, the outside ones, so the sheer volume of dogs is making the problem worse.

I only see them feed the ones if the cage and nothing more. Can the Humane Society be of any value? These dogs should have some freedom. If they all were loose and ran around, the barking torture that I experience would subside.

Cal the Humane Society and help those dogs.!!!!!!!!
Sheer cruelty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties