Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM

127 posts, read 431,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelsandy View Post
Greetings all,

Recently, I keep seeing full page ads for one or two hospitals to be built here in Fort Mill. I noticed Presbyterian ran a full page add in this week's edition of the Fort Mill Times, as did another hospital (can't recall the name, paper already discarded.)

Can someone update me on the situation? Are they competing ? they ask us to contact the government for support. Or will both be built? Are they going to be built near the intersection of 160 and 21?

Any helpful and informative info is welcome.

sandy
that site across from the peach stand is for the fort mill hospital through tenet and pmc,

i believe presby has a site picked near the proposed site for the history museum, same place the ancient burial ground was holding up that building.

no idea where cmc is proposing there building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelsandy View Post
Greetings all,

Recently, I keep seeing full page ads for one or two hospitals to be built here in Fort Mill. I noticed Presbyterian ran a full page add in this week's edition of the Fort Mill Times, as did another hospital (can't recall the name, paper already discarded.)

Can someone update me on the situation? Are they competing ? they ask us to contact the government for support. Or will both be built? Are they going to be built near the intersection of 160 and 21?

Any helpful and informative info is welcome.

sandy

I have worked at all the hospitals who wish to build in Fort Mill. I have been a health worker for 35 yrs up and down the east coast . I will not EVER bring my family to PMC or any facility built by them. I want access to a level one trauma center, a helicopter and the BEST PHYSICIANS in the Region, I dont want to go to NC for uncompromising care that we all deserve. PMC cant keep its beds full and most of the staff leave because they cant work in a place they are not proud of . I refused PMC insurance because after seeing what went on there I NEVER wanted to be a patient there thus I paid more and was insured under my husband and went to CMC pineville with a life threatening illness . I am still here to talk about it.
It is a shame the TOwn and the Spirngs Corporation are only concerned about the money and taxes that will be paid to them not about the care the community deserves.
Jeff W is obviously either town council or PMC administaration CMC is the ONLY hospital you want in Fort MILL. You will feel safe and have the very best care by the very best Physicians .

Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshimk01 View Post
I have worked at all the hospitals who wish to build in Fort Mill. I have been a health worker for 35 yrs up and down the east coast . I will not EVER bring my family to PMC or any facility built by them. I want access to a level one trauma center, a helicopter and the BEST PHYSICIANS in the Region, I dont want to go to NC for uncompromising care that we all deserve. PMC cant keep its beds full and most of the staff leave because they cant work in a place they are not proud of . I refused PMC insurance because after seeing what went on there I NEVER wanted to be a patient there thus I paid more and was insured under my husband and went to CMC pineville with a life threatening illness . I am still here to talk about it.
It is a shame the TOwn and the Spirngs Corporation are only concerned about the money and taxes that will be paid to them not about the care the community deserves.
Jeff W is obviously either town council or PMC administaration CMC is the ONLY hospital you want in Fort MILL. You will feel safe and have the very best care by the very best Physicians .

I thought the same thing when I read Jeff W's post ... he works for PMC.

I just wanted to get out of PMC alive when I had surgery there.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I just wanted to get out of PMC alive when I had surgery there.
Count yourself lucky. The mortality rate at PMC is much higher than the other hospitals in the area.

Medicare Hospital Mortality Tables

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM

182 posts, read 331,800 times
I spoke to some neighboors that are physicians. They live in SC but work in NC. The issue with SC is that Blue Cross/Blue Shield has a near monopoly in SC and has reimbursement rates similar to Medicare reimbursement rates. I fear that Pres or CMC will have similar performace as they will not have the same kind of income that their CLT hosipitals do.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

more data to be seen than just mortality, and be sure you read up on what mortality means, its not just the care in the hospital its 30 days post stay, a car accident or other unrelated death also counts against the hospital in mortality rates.

And the data on the goverment site is 3 years old.

patient experiance

Medicare Hospital Compare Process of Care Measures

And remember CMC and presby can only build a 66 bed hospital. pmc will build a 100 bed hospital with full cath and lablor and delivery. since it can move bed licenses from pmc to fort mill.

And yes i work at PMC and proud ouf it. PMC has had a bad rap in years past but is a way diffrent place than 10 years ago.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM

recent data from 2010 for pmc

Top 10 Points of Pride
Piedmont received the South Carolina Distinguished Hospital of the Year Award for significant quality contributions for patients with cardiovascular disease and stroke. (American Heart Association/Department of Health & Environmental Control, 2010)

Thanks to our exceptional caregivers, Piedmont has strong Core Measures (nationwide quality metrics for hospitals):
Piedmont’s rate for care of heart attack patients is 98%, which is better or equal to US, NC and SC averages.

Piedmont’s rate for care of patients with pneumonia is 93%, which is better or equal to US, NC and SC averages.
Piedmont’s rate for overall heart failure is 98%, which is better than US, NC and SC averages.

Piedmont is patient-focused at every turn providing all-private patient rooms; 24/7 onsite security and patient visitation… not to mention daily visits from Nurse Betty, our Patient Advocate and a caregiver at Piedmont for 55 years, who works to address every patient’s individual needs.

Our 181 skilled physicians trained at top-tier medical institutions across the nation, including Duke, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, UVA and Emory, and each has an average of 20 years experience.

Piedmont has a team of 10 clinicians and statisticians solely devoted to monitoring and improving clinical quality at our hospital.

Our hospital is ranked #3 in SC for Overall Pulmonary Services. We are also the only hospital in York County and South Charlotte area that provides interventional cardiology services. (HealthGrades 2010)

Piedmont has a ZERO rate of Surgical Site Infections (SSI) for the following procedures: Spinal Fusion, Hip Prosthesis, Abdominal Hysterectomy and Vaginal Hysterectomy. (South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, Dec2008-Nov2009)

York County ranks in the top 5% in SC for years of lives saved – with approximately 3,700 years of life saved per year – and ranks 4th healthiest county in SC for health outcomes. (University of Wisconsin & Robert Wood Johnson Foundation study, 2010)

Piedmont was named a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery and Cardiac Care in 2010 by BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina for clinical quality and outstanding patient outcomes.

We received the Gold Performance Award for Heart Failure and the Silver Performance Award for Coronary Artery Disease by the American Heart Association in 2010.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
more data to be seen than just mortality, and be sure you read up on what mortality means, its not just the care in the hospital its 30 days post stay, a car accident or other unrelated death also counts against the hospital in mortality rates.
Nothing can change the FACT that Piedmont Medical Center is one of the only 45 hospitals in the nation to have a "worse than average" mortality rate. There were 4569 hospitals in the study.

That means PMC is in the TOP 1% for hospital DEATHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
And the data on the government site is 3 years old.
If you read the study, you would have seen on the first line:
Calculated from Medicare data on patients discharged between July 1, 2006 and June 30, 2009.

The study was performed by the Department of Health & Human Services so it is probably as unbiased as you can get.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Count yourself lucky. The mortality rate at PMC is much higher than the other hospitals in the area.

Medicare Hospital Mortality Tables
As I was laying in the floor at 2:00 AM, I pulled the telephone down and called my husband ... he arrived ... all hell broke loose and he stayed with me through the duration. He would not leave me until I was dismissed.

PMC has big problems, lack of help ... with help I mean the people that actually do the work. They lay off the indians and keep the chiefs and the chiefs don't do the actual work. They attend meetings, hold seminars and PR work. They don't haul bedpans, give injections or push a gurney.

My neighbor works there, she is an RN and is just hanging on until she can retire. They are working her to death with the lack of help. She cannot complain there. You cannot have a top heavy organization, you must have the people that actually are out there in the heat of things working and helping the patients.

In case of an emergency, we tried Riverview Medical Center ... it was a Saturday night ... after 8 PM and I am sure PMC was rocking and rolling with the headaches, sore throats and hang nails. Riverview got my husband right in ... accepted our insurance ... treated him. We were back home shortly after 9 PM. Riverview is open 24/7 and we were very pleased.

I have spent hours in the ER at Piedmont and always feel like I might pick up cooties or something.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 84,142 times
My mom was a patient at PMC. She had her wedding ring stolen off her finger. She was 92 years old. We visited her after lunch and her tray was across the room, untouched (she couldn't get out of bed and needed assistance eating). I fed her; it was a pasta... like spagetti. We went back that night after dinner...tray still out of reach, untouched. The nurse actually came in and told me that my mom had eaten turkey and mashed potatoes for lunch, and she had eaten well. Oh really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties