U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,130,323 times
I have desired a Kroger or Publix myself.
I just know what we have now, and we are in coupon heaven. No area of the country has the competition that the grocers in this area have, and I can direct you to forums with 1000's and 1000's of shoppers nationwide who will either vouch or that because they live in this area or they are very jealous of what he have to choose from as far as grocery stores.

I look forward to Publix. Until then Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter get 95% of my food dollars.

ok, if they are all the same, I won't go to Publix just for meat or bakery goods. Not worth the time or gas.

I live in Rock Hill, so Publix won't capture me, not matter how good they are, unless the sales, store coupons and manufacturer coupon policy gets me there, once a week or twice a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM

2,519 posts, read 1,571,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have desired a Kroger or Publix myself.
I just know what we have now, and we are in coupon heaven. No area of the country has the competition that the grocers in this area have, and I can direct you to forums with 1000's and 1000's of shoppers nationwide who will either vouch or that because they live in this area or they are very jealous of what he have to choose from as far as grocery stores.
You do realize that Coupon Mom lives in Atlanta, GA and is able to work her magic and empire from there. Thought you would like to know. By the way, Atlanta has Publix.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM

well all we know is Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo (among others) and yet to experience Kroger or Publix. Then other people have never experienced HT or BL.

I look forward to the opening of the Publix.
They let you stack manufacturers coupons on top of store coupons which is a plus for coupon users.

non coupon users might not see the advantage that is there, when Bi-Lo has so many B1G1 free items. B1G1 free is 50% off each, but when you can save another 25-30% off each item, then certain stores can stand out to the coupon users. My father does not use coupons at all and he only shops at Walmart.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM

105 posts, read 239,542 times
The coupon argument doesn't hold water with me. Most of the coupons I see are for processed, garbage filled foods I don't eat anyway. Plus, HT has double and sometimes triple the prices of other stores so you're probably only breaking even. Can't wait for Publix: awesome bakery, great store brands (including Publix Organic branded items), great ice cream selection and overall good prices on most things. Cannot wait!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 PM

9,105 posts, read 4,829,784 times
Kroger tried it here ... it was a nasty store. Floors were dirty ...it wasn't a very clean store. Kroger was originally in the old BiLo bldg. When Kroger closed BiLo opened there and now BiLo is across Cherry Rd where the old RH Mall was located.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,872,034 times
Publix compromises, promises to be good neighbors in Fort Mill
By Jamie Self - jself@heraldonline.com FORT MILL --
After receiving a cool reception from a Fort Mill Township neighborhood, Publix has taken steps to allay neighbors' concerns about its plans to build a grocery story next door.

Residents of Ashford on the Water are afraid if a proposed Publix store is built near their neighborhood, it will increase traffic and noise while creating potential lighting and safety problems.

Answering those concerns, Publix representatives have changed their building plan, going beyond what's required by York County or the state.

The new plan would reduce the size of the planned store by more than 5,000 square feet, move it farther away from Wilshire Drive and implement several traffic, landscaping, safety and lighting changes to address residents' concerns.

Some of those changes include replacing the current 6-foot fence with an 8-foot privacy fence behind neighbors' properties; installing guard rails at parking lot exits; choosing lighting with shields to prevent light from reaching beyond the parking lot; and putting in a "premium landscaping" plan.

Despite lingering reservations, some neighbors seemed satisfied with the store's efforts to compromise.

"So far they have really gone above and beyond to work with us," said Mindy Ervay, president of the Ashford Homeowners Association, adding that there are some residents who still don't want the store.

Becky and Greg Smith think traffic, already a problem, worsen after the store opens, but they're pleased with the store's efforts to address some of their concerns.

"They're making a bigger effort than other businesses would, and that shows good faith," Greg Smith said.

John Zielinski, a regional real estate manager for Publix, assured a group of concerned but friendly Ashford residents in a meeting Tuesday night of his company's dedication to doing whatever it can to address residents' concerns beyond what is required.

Publix representatives will appear before York County's zoning board and the County Council later this month before conditions for development are approved. Residents have appeared before both panels to object to the store.

Zielinski asked residents not to object to their plans in exchange for promises to work with residents on their current and future concerns.

County Planning Director Dave Pettine said the county will consider all viewpoints.

"This is a neighbor you want to have," Zielinski said. "We want you to be our customers. If we don't deliver what we're talking about, you're not going to be our customers."

Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltsig View Post
The coupon argument doesn't hold water with me. Most of the coupons I see are for processed, garbage filled foods I don't eat anyway. Plus, HT has double and sometimes triple the prices of other stores so you're probably only breaking even. Can't wait for Publix: awesome bakery, great store brands (including Publix Organic branded items), great ice cream selection and overall good prices on most things. Cannot wait!
Moving to Rock Hill has removed Lowes Foods from my list except on special situations, maybe their orange juice is on sale 2 for $4 and I'll go get 20 cartons.
Publix will get a visit from me for a look around, a copy of the their weekly ad, and maybe a periodic visit for "volume" purchases.

Yes, there is a wide distinction between couponers and non couponers. Palermo makes some different varieties like spinach and goat's cheese, etc. I think they were 6.99 each and HT had them buy 2 get 3 free = 15 pizzas for $41.94. However, there happened to be a .75/1 coupon that got doubled, so 6 x .75 x 2 more off = 41.94 - 31.94 for 15 pizzas = 2.13 each or savings of 70%. I would not pass that up to go to Publix or any other store and no other store could offer that "specific" deal. Serious couponers use coupons that way. It's a hobby of sorts as well as a money saver. I had never tried Palermo and the "deal" got me the chance. Now that I'm out, I can not afford $6.99 for a pizza.

I look forward to the new Publix, pay them a visit, and frequent there on volume purchases that can not be beat elsewhere.

Little Rock Hill has 5 Food Lions and Fort Mill has at least 3, and then Bloom is owned by Food Lion. If Publix gets foot hold in here, I wonder what store chain cries Uncle the first and waves the white flag of "out of here"? Bi-Lo was, or is, in bankruptcy and did, or plans to, close quite a few stores, it could be that they pull out of this area. Rock Hill has 3 and Fort Mill 1 with another one at 160 and Hwy. 49.
Groceries stores seem to be everywhere:
Rock Hill: 3 Bi-Lo, 1 Compare Foods, 1 HT (closed the other one), 5 Food Lion
Fort Mill: 2 Bi-Lo if you count 49-160, 3+ Food Lion, Bloom, Lowes, 2 Harris Teeter (if you count 160 at 49).

18 stores within 10-12 miles of each other, that is pretty concentrated and add Publix = 19.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

518 posts, read 652,820 times
Keep in mind that it may seem that the grocery stores are very close together and saturated but there is a formula that they use for placement. For example one HT has enough food to sustain 10k people in a 4 mile radius of the store. I am not sure of the exact formula but you get the point.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Despite opposition, the York County Council last night passed first reading of a rezoning request that could pave the way for a Publix grocery store at the corner of Pleasant and Gold Hill roads, near the Ashford on the Water neighborhood.

So here is the upcoming scenario:
Publix at the corner of Pleasant and Gold Hill, Lowes and Food Lion a the corner of Gold Hill and 160, Harris Teeter at the corner of Pleasant and 160, about a mile west of HT there is Walmart and about a mile east of HT is Bi-Lo. Then about 3/4 mile from Gold Hill and Hwy 21 is a Bloom.

Excluding Walmart, that is 6 chains by adding in the new Publix.

From there what can happen. I would guess one of two things.
Either all 6 survive or one or more closes down.
We'll see which happens 1st.

Compare Foods in Rock Hill is too far to be added to the list and Walmart sure won't be closing.

So, who could be the first to close, if one of the 6 closes?

Bi-Lo turned down an offer to be bought by the owners of Food Lion. Food Lion was going to close some stores and everyone was hoping Rock Hill would survive any Bi-Lo closings. Food Lion owns Bloom too and I have heard Bloom described as an upscale Food Lion. What plans Food Lion has for their Bloom and Food Lion stores, not sure. Maybe they open dozens of Blooms and keep all of their Food Lions too. Or slowly convert their Food Lions to Bloom. Food Lion seems to cater to small towns like York. There is a Food Lion out near Indian Land and the one at the corner of 160 and Gold Hill Rd. was there before Lowes Foods opened.

Since Bi-Lo is still in bankruptcy it could be that they are the first to close. US Air has gone bankrupt at least 2 times, so bankruptcy does not mean shutting down.

One or more of those 5 (excluding Publix) could close those specific locations and it might be due to the increased competition or they might close for specific company reasons. If one chain left the area completely, it would be company related and not due to any new stores in town.

I am headed to a website and check out this weeks Publix ad and store coupons and look at their coupon policy.
I'll look forward to their new store. It might light a fire under Harris Teeter and Lowes and get us coupon users more triples and super double promotions.

I doubt Publix draws any customers from Rock Hill, unless they have a pocket full of coupons.

I asked Food Lion why they do not double coupons like all the other stores and they said "we do not need too" implying they have the lower prices.

As far as QUALITY of food, cleanliness, and customer service, I have tried them all and I have zero complaints. They would not last long with stale bakery items and brown looking red meat. I was skeptical about Compare Foods that moved into the old Winn Dixie building on Cherry Rd. But, they have many national brands and their red meat is quite red and fresh. Low limits on coupons, so they get some of my business but not alot.

As someone stated on another site, bring it on Publix. Lowers Foods and Harris Teeter are waiting to "see what you got".

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 PM

126 posts, read 386,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Food Lion seems to cater to small towns like York.
Sorry but York has no Food Lion, we have 2 Bi-Lo's less than 3 miles away from each other though and a really lackluster Walmart.

If Publix open's in FM I'll travel over there on weekends to do the major shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties