U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 10,678 times
Default skeet shooting in york county, sc

My husband and I are planning to move to york county sc early 2011. we are into skeet shooting, here on LI there is a place where you bring your own throwers and stuff and can spend the entire day having fun. is there anywhere in york county to bring your own throwers etc rather than use those supplied at outdoor ranges? also what are the rules for skeet shooting on your own property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM

126 posts, read 377,818 times
There was a place just south of the york county line in Chester County that was a nice skeet/trap range but I heard a couple of months ago that it either closed and was up for sale or it was just plain old up for sale. Maybe ya' all want to buy it ?

Other than that I know of no other place IN York County that you can shoot skeet. Actually no ranges in York county other than an indoor range in Rock Hill that is overly restrictive for most people who know any better. For city folk (sorry round here LI is city!) moving to the area is sometimes a surprise, of course there have to be ranges, us country rednecks all have guns and need to shoot! Truth is that yes we do and yes we do shoot but suprise, it's the country!! We don't need no stinking expensive small and dangerous ranges!! LOL

Honestly there are 2 large clubs SOMEWHAT close by depending on where you move to. Meck. Sportsman Association and Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club both over the border in NC where gun laws are a bit more restrictive go figure..oh yea you can't shoot on your property in those areas.

We kind of live far from those ranges for our schedule so we just searched for the right piece of land and built a house. Now I can just walk out back to my 100 yard range and shoot as much and whenever I want. We paid a bit of a price for that luxury but it's worth every penny AND worth the loss of ammenities that we would have had closer to the center of the county.

If you wish to learn more about firearms in the area, shops, rules etc. etc PM me and I'll try to help. And no I was never a Yankee, as they say here I WAS a DAMM Yankee! Northern by birth Southern by Choice, I left the metro area due to the restrictive gun laws 20 years ago and have never looked back!

Rich
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,678 times
My husband was glad to hear that you could shoot on your own property, that's an alternative. Thanks for the information.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirthit View Post
My husband was glad to hear that you could shoot on your own property, that's an alternative. Thanks for the information.
Well don't blanket it all as "you can shoot on your own property" there are some regulations it's not just a free for all. You can't shoot inside of city limits so you would need to buy in county jurisdiction but that is better. Sure you lose city water and sewer but the taxes are much cheaper and you do like most others drill a well and install a septic system and forget the monthly bills. We have not paid water or sewer for over 20 years and love it!

Some people MAY get away with shooting inside of city limits if they have a lot of property and it's a rural but yet city limit area but you will not have protection of the law if someone complains. County requirement is that you be at least 100 yards away from any other enhabited dwelling so do your research!

We bought enough land where we have enough private land belonging to us 100yds around my shooting range. Buy rural have a range near the property line and 2 years later someone starts building next to you and you are done Also I suggest as soon as you move in set presidence in motion and shoot regularly, post along the closest public access to the property a sign stating Private Range or Shooting Range Noise Area. It varies from county to county but after 2-5 years of the public knowing and doing nothing your range will be rock solid.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 11,077 times
There is a public range in Lancaster co just 15 miles from FM off Hwy 521. It's at the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club. You don't have to be a member to shoot at the shotgun range and it is a very nice range.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM

That's nice to know...I have visited but was under the impression that you had to be a member to shoot there, never knew shotgun was seperate. REALLY nice range but it's expensive for the centerfire part and you need a sponsor, don't know how expensive the shotgun range is.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 11,077 times
Here is a link to the Shotgun page, there are links to members with info on pricing but my son and I went to look it over and the prices at that time were not too high. Also you can join the centerfire side without a sponsor, I did two years ago.

http://www.cr-pc.org/shotgun.asp

Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
There is a sporting clay range south of Rock Hill about 25 minutes. It is Rocky Creek Sporting Clays. They are open Wednesday through Sunday. Check out their website. They are not far off I-77.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 AM

225 posts, read 432,548 times
Depending on where you are, there is a clay shooting range in Gastonia, that is open to the public and is a pay as you go basis. I know about it cause I shoot at the Gastonia PD rifle range behind it. From Fort MIll it about a 35 minute ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties