U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-25-2010, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill
1,041 posts, read 1,226,931 times
Reputation: 267
Default Abandon/Dead Malls in Rock Hill

If you know a lot about Rock Hill, maybe you can help!

While I was driving around looking for flea markets, I found a lot of areas of Rock Hill ive never been to, but I also saw a lot of abandon and dead malls/strip malls. Maybe someone can fill me in?

Forgive me for not knowing streets and such, but, here I go:

Anyone know what was in the building where the "Rock Hill Flea Market" was? Its on Saluda St.

There was also another building somewhere in that area, maybe off rt 72, and it looked like an old grocery store. It had a few other stores to the left, which were basically cheap clothing stores.

Was that a old Win Dixie near the tax assessors office?

Im also interested in learning about any other dead/abandon malls/shopping centers in Rock Hill. Im a retail history buff and love this stuff!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 AM
 
41 posts, read 44,221 times
Reputation: 27
I'm never in that part of town so I don't know much about it. I remember reading earlier this year that there was an old shopping plaza that had had a flea market in the Saluda area. It was closed down and I thought I had read they planned to do something else with it eventually but I could be wrong. Yes, there was an old Winn Dixie over near the tax assessors. Try DeadMalls.com. There's nothing about Rock hill on there but if you like that sort of stuff you might find it amusing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill
1,041 posts, read 1,226,931 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by axyssally View Post
I'm never in that part of town so I don't know much about it. I remember reading earlier this year that there was an old shopping plaza that had had a flea market in the Saluda area. It was closed down and I thought I had read they planned to do something else with it eventually but I could be wrong. Yes, there was an old Winn Dixie over near the tax assessors. Try DeadMalls.com. There's nothing about Rock hill on there but if you like that sort of stuff you might find it amusing.
Already well aware of all the dead mall/label scar websites. Rock Hill seems to have a lot of dead and abandon stuff and Id love to get to know the history and contribute to these sites.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 PM
 
9,105 posts, read 4,825,999 times
Reputation: 6603
If you are referring to the former Winn Dixie almost across the street from the York County Complex on Heckle Blvd (Jack In The Box on other corner) ... York County purchased that property. They remodeled the bldg for additional office space.

Saluda St is not an area you want to be in after the sun goes down. The City of RH has spent millions in beautification on Saluda . That Flea Market has been closed. There is a City Ordinance in place and any business on Saluda has to close by 10 PM.

York County, SC | Improving Saluda Street | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

An interesting story about Heckle Blvd ... before that road came to be the state engineers laid out the road and then the money changers had to go into the area and purchase property, right of way and eminent domain. On West Main St (Hwy 5) a little lady had a motel with 8 rooms and she lived in the office attached to the rooms.

She would not sign, would not deal with the state, no way. Heckle Blvd moved right along and they cut her motel in half ... after the road opened for a long time you could see the rest of her motel sitting there on the corner of W. Main & Heckle. She lived there in her half of a motel until she passed away and her relatives found a check from the state purchasing her land and she had never cashed it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,123,671 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
If you are referring to the former Winn Dixie almost across the street from the York County Complex on Heckle Blvd (Jack In The Box on other corner) ... York County purchased that property. They remodeled the bldg for additional office space.

Saluda St is not an area you want to be in after the sun goes down. The City of RH has spent millions in beautification on Saluda . That Flea Market has been closed. There is a City Ordinance in place and any business on Saluda has to close by 10 PM.

York County, SC | Improving Saluda Street | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

An interesting story about Heckle Blvd ... before that road came to be the state engineers laid out the road and then the money changers had to go into the area and purchase property, right of way and eminent domain. On West Main St (Hwy 5) a little lady had a motel with 8 rooms and she lived in the office attached to the rooms.

She would not sign, would not deal with the state, no way. Heckle Blvd moved right along and they cut her motel in half ... after the road opened for a long time you could see the rest of her motel sitting there on the corner of W. Main & Heckle. She lived there in her half of a motel until she passed away and her relatives found a check from the state purchasing her land and she had never cashed it.
Sadly the city-county-state can take part of your land if you refuse to sell to them at their price. Look at what happened to all the houses along Celanese Rd. Everybody lost about 10 feet off the front of their lot and now they have 3-4 lane traffic noise 10 feet closer to their house. The guy that owned the Putt Putt course lost his land to the state for that exit ramp on I-77 at exit 82B, where you can go straight and get back on I-77 or get to Cherry Road. That business was his retirement. He fought like a large fish, with lawyers, and finally got some $ settlement.

I see the same thing happening to people's lots along S. Cherry Road between West Main and Heckle as they widen the road.
Same for the widening from the new Walmart in Newport all the way to York, people's front yard being cut off by 10+ feet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
 
126 posts, read 386,393 times
Reputation: 61
BUT please tell me, I don't understand. While plenty of buildings both new and old retail remain vacant and unkept in many parts of town, here and in other towns in the area WHY do city/county leaders allow new buildings to be constructed for retail right in the same area? Often right next door with no given purpose, often just to be left there vacant for months.

Fort Mill for example, Baxter Village the great idea that everyone bought into...Businesses are closing left and right right on main street then they open Lowes across the street, OK far enough from Rock Hill to open another Lowes but look at all the other vacant buildings in the parking lot. I don't think even ONE has been leased out and it's been there for 2 years now? Eventually this leads to the demise of the area, no one likes to buy into a community that has so much abandoned property.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill
1,041 posts, read 1,226,931 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
BUT please tell me, I don't understand. While plenty of buildings both new and old retail remain vacant and unkept in many parts of town, here and in other towns in the area WHY do city/county leaders allow new buildings to be constructed for retail right in the same area? Often right next door with no given purpose, often just to be left there vacant for months.

Fort Mill for example, Baxter Village the great idea that everyone bought into...Businesses are closing left and right right on main street then they open Lowes across the street, OK far enough from Rock Hill to open another Lowes but look at all the other vacant buildings in the parking lot. I don't think even ONE has been leased out and it's been there for 2 years now? Eventually this leads to the demise of the area, no one likes to buy into a community that has so much abandoned property.
Downtown Fort Mill is kinda strange because its not near anything else really. I live near the Bi-Lo, and drive towards downtown 5 days a week, but always go around it by taking a left and avoiding the train tracks. Going the downtown route is slow, and takes up way too much time. I do think its a really neat and historic looking downtown, but, with a street built basically to go around downtown, not many people see the downtown area.

I do like having Lowe's in town. The people are very helpful and friendly, and I always get good service. Anytime I DONT need to go to Rock Hill, the better. I do agree, that its weird there's all those other buildings in that plaza are empty. That area is VERY popular and on the weekends is a traffic nightmare because everyone and their mother is in town.

Overall, I hate going towards downtown. Too many slow pokes out for a Sunday drive. Ill take a 2 lane 45mph road over getting behind grampa and his Buick going towards downtown anyday.

Also, some buildings remain vacant because they are owned by the company that was once in them. I know the Eastland Mall in Charlotte is like that. The anchor stores were owned by the anchors themselves, not the mall. The anchors would rather take a loss and sit on the property then sell it for crap money. A lot of old retail "label scars" are like that. I believe a lot of old Winn Dixie's were easily sold because they filed for bankruptcy, where as some stores just moved down the street to build a new building (like a food lion or a bi lo) and dont want to sell it, just so another grocery store can buy it.

In a perfect world, or in a perfect "town", there would be better ordinances about this type of thing. I remember as a kid in the 90's growing up in New England, a store would close and something else took its place pretty quick. When some Caldor stores closed, Ames came in. When Ames folded, Target came in, etc... now, it just seems like stores and companies want to move away from a older concept, and do something in an area no one has built in before. Sadly, this creates a lot of abandon buildings and blight issues. For me, i love checking out label scars and abandon buildings and trying to find out their history and former purpose, but when nothing happens with them, it usually becomes a sad site to see.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,123,671 times
Reputation: 1703
some of it is competition and individuals thinking their business ideas will succeed. The Rock Hill Mall was doomed when The Galleria area opened. The Catawba's tried to save it with their big bingo hall. That lasted for awhile and even they abandoned. The land got sold and now there is the Super Bi-Lo (that moved OUT of the building 1/4 mile down the road there behind Chick-fil-A.
That new Bi-Lo has a small strip center down the side. And the parking lot has hundreds of too many parking spots.
The Galleria area has just blossomed with any type restaurant you want, etc.
Alot of these vacant buildings and offices are structures that were built to lease out and the demand is not there, or small businesses that failed. I can count dozens and dozens of businesses that have opened and failed in York County. Winn Dixie had two strip like centers beside their 3 stores, and when they left town those strips were "stripped" leaving this huge empty building and a few small shops on either side. (Cherry Road where the current Compare Foods is located, Heckle across the corner from the Food Lion, and E. Main where the current Bi-Lo located - again this Bi-Lo moved from a mile or so from it's previous location down Albright Road near the Goodwill store)

What do we find EVERYWHERE we look?
Grocery stores, gas stations, paycheck loan places, restaurants, doctors, on and on.
Downtown Fort Mill is like 50 years behind the times, nobody goes there except to look at a few antiques or get a hair cut, or pass by on their way to the Hwy. 521 area.

Investors are buildings fancy office buildings and can not find enough people to lease the offices.
The "supply" for everything is so great, that some have to just shut down and bingo you have a vacant office, etc.

20 years ago it was said, oh Rock Hill will be a part of Charlotte one of these days. It is not there yet and not close. The gap between RH and Charlotte which is Fort Mill west of I-77, north of Hwy. 160, and out 160 toward 521 are filling in the gap between Rock Hill and Charlotte.

The Rock Hill Mall had a Penney's and a Sears and both abandoned, and went to Galleria. That left that mall naked except for a shoe shop and other small "independent" small businesses that went under, and the Catawba's tried bingo for a while to occupy the old Sears building.

That mall like area where Bi-Lo used to be on Cherry Road and on the other side where Office Depot is located, I think that whole area on both sides of the road is doomed. Kmart is no sure thing and if they close that land will be developed into something in demand, maybe apartments like they have down the road behind Pep Boys.

Those who live south of Charlotte are the ones keeping that Food Lion in business, and there is a Hardee's and an Autozone, Dollar General (or Family Dollar) and Jack in the Box, those people living out McConnell's Hwy. Those further west are migrating to that new Walmart area in Newport for shopping and choosing places to live.

When a shop closes, it is not replaced with a new tenant because the demand is not there in my view from the stock market and the lack of growth in the US economy.
Some closed because gambled that they could survive. Many small businesses in York County have closed in under 1-2 years over the last 15+ years.

A very popular Krispy Kreme tried Rock Hill and was an utter failure.
What about Putt-Putt, a worldwide franchise, Columbia had 3 of them and so did Charlotte, and all 6 are gone. And S.C. has none now. You want to play, it's High Point, N.C, or Augusta Ga as far as distance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill
1,041 posts, read 1,226,931 times
Reputation: 267
So there was a Bi-Lo in the big plaza behind Chik-Fil-A? Interesting, what else was there?

Once ONE major anchor store leaves a mall, most will follow. No mall has ever survived "achorless" (See Eastland Mall). The anchors keep the small guys in business. Pam goes to Sears for a new cardigan.... but, while shes there, walks around the mall, grabs lunch, and buys new jewelry at Clare's. Not many people go to the mall for just ONE store like a Clare's, Radio Shack or GNC, they want to go to multiple stores.

Companies want NEW and innovative, not someones old, worn out second hand stuff. Walmart is a prime example. They abandon all there "small, regular sized" walmarts that were once in shopping centers to build mega stand alone stores. Sadly, there is no "other" company to easily take that store over, as Target is too big, and Kmart isnt expanding.

The Cherry Road area will continue to decline if something isnt done about that businesses. hat area has potential, but with Dave Lyle Blvd a few miles away, most people would rather go down there. In my opinion, its a much nicer part of town, though i avoid that WalMart like the plague.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,123,671 times
Reputation: 1703
It was a Bi-Lo before they started "Super Bi-Lo".
So, their lease must have run out or was too expensive or needed more room for more items and moved down the road under 1/4 mile. There was a small finance company, an Asian restaurant, computer repair shop, clothing store, printing center, armed forces office, etc.
Then across the side street there is the Office Depot and more small businesses across the street from K-mart.
Cherry Road is rather dying. It used to be the main drag.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top