U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

5,279 posts, read 5,713,970 times

Advertisements

well, being my first Halloween as a home owner, I don't want to be "lights off" on Saturday, if that is when the kids will go around.

I asked a neighbor what Halloween was like here, and they said, "a few kids" but they just leave their lights off.

I did have one child come to my door many years ago, and he was maybe 15-17 years old and surely going around for the younger kids in the family that could not go out due to their age.

I've been in mobile home parks or apartments or a relative's house up to now, so this is my first.

I have intentionally bought the type candy I like, in case no kids come by. My plan is to give each child some of "my favorite" and give each child $1 and tell them to use it to buy "their favorite".
I'll "strictly" take notes of what the costumes are, so no one tries to come back for a second $1.00.

If the numbers are far greater than the few that the neighbor mentioned, I'll have a limit of how many $1.00's.

It could be a non event, who knows.

I've never participated in Halloween, as an adult, so it may be insignificant to most, but something new to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 AM

285 posts, read 656,496 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but as a parent I would be suspicious of someone handing out money to kids (do I have to spell out why?). Nobody gives out money. I suggest candy or a small toy. If you want, buy some certificates for a smoothie treat from Wendy's or similar place.

Kids are used to getting a wide variety of candy so don't worry about hitting their favorites. They can trade or give to mom/dad if they don't like what they get. That's part of the fun.

Our neighborhood is inundated with kids but it is very large so it depends on where you are.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 AM

137 posts, read 199,924 times
It's too confusing to change to another night. Don't know why anyone would even suggest it. It is a great opportunity for Christian churches to have "fall festivals" at the church before or after Sunday evening service. Also a great time to bring friends with you that you have been asking to attend.

I'm all for keeping kids off the streets, but it is still a wonderful neighborhood tradition that hasn't been taken away from us because of the law, crime, terrorists or fanatics.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,435,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but as a parent I would be suspicious of someone handing out money to kids (do I have to spell out why?). Nobody gives out money.
Seriously? Please do. As a kid I would love to get a dollar!

I think money would be much less risk as opposed to getting candy that is tainted in any way. Not that it is a big concern since everything it individually wrapped.

If my kids got something that looks home made or is not sealed, it goes into the garbage unless I personally know who gave it out.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM

35 posts, read 62,971 times
Default Halloween Fanatic

SUNDAY PERIOD, I Love Halloween, and actually it is my favorite holiday. I go a little overboard with the yard, and Halloween night I kick it up a notch. Next year I might actually start to do a charity Spooky house to raise money for a local charity.

I think school should just be closed on monday
Either Saturday Or the REAL Holiday, Sunday I hope everyone has a safe and Spooky Day!

Attached Thumbnails
Trick or Treating-cover4.jpg  

Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but as a parent I would be suspicious of someone handing out money to kids (do I have to spell out why?). Nobody gives out money. I suggest candy or a small toy. If you want, buy some certificates for a smoothie treat from Wendy's or similar place.

Kids are used to getting a wide variety of candy so don't worry about hitting their favorites. They can trade or give to mom/dad if they don't like what they get. That's part of the fun.

Our neighborhood is inundated with kids but it is very large so it depends on where you are.
My neighbors say the number of kids that go around the area is not many. I'm sure the parents will be walking with them and I'll let the parents know about the $1.00. After 3 years (let's see that was 1990) of candy and no trickster's, I quit buying candy and just had a few dollar bills on hand, in case of a door knock. But, there were so few kids in the apartments and mobile home park, that Halloween was a non event. It may be again this time, we'll see.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,926 times
New to the Rock Hill area... When do they do trick or treating?? times and date?? Please let me know. I have found nothing on the search..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowagirl74 View Post
New to the Rock Hill area... When do they do trick or treating?? times and date?? Please let me know. I have found nothing on the search..
there is nothing to find by searching as far as times and dates of actual trick or treating. (Shouldn't it be "treat or trick" - treat or us, or get a trick)

there are Halloween events being held Saturday night.

Ex. in Rock Hill, downtown, 5:30 to 8pm

I plan to have my light on Sat. from dark to 9pm, and the same for Sun.

The kids that have had enough, (or rather their parents that have had enough) from the Saturday events scattered all over the county, may say, NO, to Sunday.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,105 times
I live in the rock hill area and the prob is each area has a diff. Day or time like Taylor land on 901 has there's sat night like 6

Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,105 times
Oaks* not land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties