Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM

196 posts, read 619,367 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where I can have a reflective house number sign made locally?

I am sure you have seen them if you travel country roads at all, many people have them. They are made just like a street sign either green or blue with reflective white lettering but are vertical instead of horizontal like a street sign and has your house number on it. The sign is usually screwed to a post along the road at your driveway entrance so emergency personnel can find your home on the dark country roads at night.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 AM

444 posts, read 1,249,778 times
I think the local FD has them.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 AM

It would make sense that they would do such a thing for a donation drive. Local is relative since we have so many different fire departments in the area but I will ask. I know that for the past 2 years they ask for a $50 donation and give you a family portrait, I'd rather see them do something much more usefull like the signs as you stated.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM

245 posts, read 1,019,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
I think the local FD has them.
Yes, check with your local fire dept.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
As you travel country roads and you notice those signs, they are placed there by the state/county. The residents didn't purchase them or ask for them, they just showed up. When ours appeared I called to find out what it was and who placed it there. The purpose was to help emergency vehicles find rural locations easier. You will notice not every home has the blue signs they only placed them every fifth or something like that when they covered the county (I don't recall how they determined the spacing of the signs.)

Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
As you travel country roads and you notice those signs, they are placed there by the state/county. The residents didn't purchase them or ask for them, they just showed up. When ours appeared I called to find out what it was and who placed it there. The purpose was to help emergency vehicles find rural locations easier. You will notice not every home has the blue signs they only placed them every fifth or something like that when they covered the county (I don't recall how they determined the spacing of the signs.)
my father, and both houses next to him, had one of the blue signs, rather permanent, secured to a wooden post in the ground. He had to call life line a few times when he fell, so the rescue squad is helped by those blue signs.

They are very helpful to delivery persons too.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
my father, and both houses next to him, had one of the blue signs, rather permanent, secured to a wooden post in the ground. He had to call life line a few times when he fell, so the rescue squad is helped by those blue signs.

They are very helpful to delivery persons too.
We have our mailbox marked with reflective numbers and our name. But we didn't put this little blue number thing out. I am sure in the dead of night when an ambulance is looking for a house they would come in handy. They put them out sometime ago and if I recall it had something to do with 911 and the difficult time they were having locating people in the rural areas. You know we use to be Route 3, Box 222 or Route 1, Box 454. LOL Absolutely no one could find you at those addresses. I still receive mail addressed to my Route number.

I am sure FLRich can get a sign from the county or DOT.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM

56 posts, read 173,638 times
I'm in the Tega Cay FD - I know we have them. There's a small cost.. don't know off the top of my head what it is, but it's not too bad. I can definitely say that they're really helpful - especially when trying to find an address on a rainy night. If you have problems finding a sign where you're at, you can always get one from us - just call the station during weekday working hours. (make sure you get a human - if you get voice mail, it might be better to try back after a bit).

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks init, I'll keep that in mind, I go into Tega Cay quite a bit for work. I'll try to swing by the Sharon FD this weekend and see what they have to say. As far as county or DOT I doubt it, around here they seem to be at every house in chunks, looks like one neighbor got one then everyone else did too when they saw it and mounted in several different manners. Maybe long ago or in some other parts but not here, I do know in Florida if there were curbs the local road department would spray paint the house number. Seems that after hurricane Andrew the #1 problem was finding locations when people called for help but there was no street signs or houses left.

Actually I have a private road too, I would not mind finding a place that could make a street sign (in blue of course) so I can post it at the entrance. It's an access road to the back of the ranch and would come in handy if I need to meet the Sheriff or Fire Department and lead them in, I have already had to lead the brush truck in by ATV.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM

56 posts, read 173,638 times
Here's a site for custom signs: Reflective Street Signs | BuildASign.com

If you can get the number sign from a fire department, it helps them out (as some of the cost goes to the department). If Sharon FD doesn't have the number signs, and you want to get one from Tega Cay FD, feel free to PM me and I'll take care of it. But it looks like you'd be able to do that from the above site as well if you wanted.

You've got options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties