Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,848 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking in relocating in the middle of the year or end of the year to Fort Mill. I have never been there, but by what I see online it looks like a great place to live. Can I have anyone's opinion on Fort Mill, SC that lives there or has lived there? Is it a good place to live, family friendly (a good place to start and raise a family?) , what is there to do there? Also, can anyone give me any advise on where I should look into renting? My budget would be at $700 at most monthly as of right now. We are still going through college and would like to live at the place where we could find a good job after college without the hassle of moving and transferring. I am going for my teaching degree for elementary school and my boyfriend is going for a business degree in accounting. If anyone has any input or advise on where we would be best getting a job there in those field I would love to hear too. Thank you in advance for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM

396 posts, read 974,526 times
Fort Mill is a pretty nice place to live. Someone else was looking for apartment info on here and I posted this for them (these are most of the apartment complexes in Fort Mill. Others, I believe, are rent controlled):

[LEFT](and they're all close to the 77):

Millcrest Park
* Fort Mill, SC 29708 (4.10 miles)
* Price: $653-$960
* Bedrooms: 1 - 3

Palmetto Place
* Fort Mill, SC 29708 (4.42 miles)
* Price: $599-$934

Bromley Village
* Fort Mill, SC 29708 (3.79 miles)
* Price: $646-$976

The Paddock at Springfield
* Fort Mill, SC 29715 (0.57 miles)
* Price: $725-$1245

Commons at Fort Mill
* Fort Mill, SC 29715 (1.61 miles)
* Price: From $940
* Bedrooms: 2 - 3

Peachtree Place
* Fort Mill, SC 29715 (1.25 miles)
* Price: Please Call

You may have better luck finding a cheaper complex in Rock Hill, which butts right up against Fort Mill further south from Charlotte. You can go to rent.com, apartmentfinder.com and if you googled apartments in either Fort Mill or Rock Hill I'm sure you could find something. Good luck with your move!

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...#ixzz19vzlKGoQ[/LEFT]

Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Fort Mill is a pretty nice place to live. Someone else was looking for apartment info on here and I posted this for them (these are most of the apartment complexes in Fort Mill. Others, I believe, are rent controlled):

[LEFT](and they're all close to the 77):

Millcrest Park
* Fort Mill, SC 29708 (4.10 miles)
* Price: $653-$960

Palmetto Place
* Fort Mill, SC 29708 (4.42 miles)
* Price: $599-$934

Bromley Village
* Fort Mill, SC 29708 (3.79 miles)
* Price: $646-$976

The Paddock at Springfield
* Fort Mill, SC 29715 (0.57 miles)
* Price: $725-$1245

Commons at Fort Mill
* Fort Mill, SC 29715 (1.61 miles)
* Price: From $940
* Bedrooms: 2 - 3

Peachtree Place
* Fort Mill, SC 29715 (1.25 miles)
* Price: Please Call

You may have better luck finding a cheaper complex in Rock Hill, which butts right up against Fort Mill further south from Charlotte. You can go to rent.com, apartmentfinder.com and if you googled apartments in either Fort Mill or Rock Hill I'm sure you could find something. Good luck with your move!

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-...#ixzz19vzlKGoQ[/LEFT]

Thank you very much for the list

Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,438,116 times
We have been here now 2+ years and love it. Being on the South Carolina side gives you better tax/gas/etc rates. It is still close enough to Charlotte to enjoy the sports (panthers/bobcats/etc), arts (plays/concerts/etc), etc. It takes 10-20 minutes to get to most places in Charlotte region. The Pineville Mall (which has lots of stores) is 5-10 minute drive from my area of Fort Mill. As for Family Friendly, the area has events/festivals that have activities for kids. Everyone here is really friendly. The Fort Mill school district is good.

Now as for jobs... Since the Charlotte region(which covers over Fort Mill/Rock Hill) has had loads of people that moved there, unfortunetly the job market here is pretty slammed since there is lots of competition for job openings.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM

76 posts, read 158,473 times
Hey there, Glad you're considering the Fort Mill area. Good schools and great community to set up a home and start a family.

You've got the listing of apts., so that'll get you started. As soon as you can, there are homes that you can buy for about the same amt as you'll be paying in rent. Some really cute homes (the old mill homes) in historic Fort Mill that people are fixing up. Great for couples because they're not huge.. But a great place to start, and you're close to everything. Fwys for access to CLT., downtown FM, Baxter Village -- fun places to eat, drink and shop, etc... Come and visit -- you can stop in the Fort Mill Chamber of Commerce and pick up some info. There's a really nice publication called FOCUS. It's a big magazine-type book that's put out once a year and is available for you at the chamber. It has tons of info about the FM/Tega Cay area and everything going on here. Events, places to live and work, economic data, and lots more. Have fun looking and we'll look forward to welcoming you when you get here ! (i own the area welcoming service... so i really will welcome you!) ;-)

Old 02-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Sounds great Kelkmac! We are hoping to be visiting sometime in June or July and if all goes well be moved there by the end of the year!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM

153 posts, read 472,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesswiggs View Post
... I am going for my teaching degree for elementary school and my boyfriend is going for a business degree in accounting. If anyone has any input or advise on where we would be best getting a job there in those field I would love to hear too.
The Fort Mill / Rock Hill / Indian Land area is a nice area to live in.

With regards to your future employment, though, have some employment offers secured before you move here.

Local opportunities in the teaching and accounting fields about "zero," as both fields have been impacted by the local economy. Charlotte public schools laid off 600 teachers after the 2009-10 school year, and only some of them were rehired. Bank of America and Wachovia / Wells Fargo layoffs and changes have also created a glut of people with business degrees who are either working outside their training, or are standing in the unemploment line.

If I were you, I'd start to read the local newspapers in this area. Local media will help you get a good feel for the economy, and how local governments and school districts are addressing budget shortfalls.

At the same time, you may run across information on companies that will be expanding or relocating to this area.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,002,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkmac View Post
As soon as you can, there are homes that you can buy for about the same amt as you'll be paying in rent.
Absolutely do not buy unless you know you're staying in the area for several years. The dark side of buying real estate in this region is surplus of available homes. Many people are not able to sell their homes, and those that do sell barely break even. The region going into the Charlotte metro has a surplus of existing being compounded with new builds and foreclosures that are not moving. If there is any chance the OP might not stay in the area after school due to lack of employment, doesn't like the region, etc -- renting is the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties