Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times

Advertisements

I frequently take Highway 160 from Tega Cay into Charlotte to go to Target and all of the shopping centers in that area, and the one thing that always mystified me was, everyone drives 10mph or more under the speed limit. Once you go past the garden shop, its 50 from there to the Target, yet, im constantly behind people doing 35 and 40. Was the speed limit lower at one point? It baffles me why people drive so slow on this stretch of road. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,054 times
Busy road with lots of cars pulling in and out... 50 is a little fast for that stretch of road.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Not to mention I've busted 2 tires on 160 and with the snow / cold weather around it's subject to potholes.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I frequently take Highway 160 from Tega Cay into Charlotte to go to Target and all of the shopping centers in that area, and the one thing that always mystified me was, everyone drives 10mph or more under the speed limit. Once you go past the garden shop, its 50 from there to the Target, yet, im constantly behind people doing 35 and 40. Was the speed limit lower at one point? It baffles me why people drive so slow on this stretch of road. Ideas?
Well, this may be one of those "culture shock" things and how people say those from the Northeast are always in a rush. And, they have a point.

Assuming you are going from Tega Cay to Indian Land, it's about 9 miles.

The difference in time saved from going 50mph and 35mph (Assuming you can keep that 50mph the whole way) is a whoping 4 minutes.

So I can see a local wondering why you are wasting fuel and rushing down the road to save 4 minutes. Kick back and enjoy the scenery...have a little longer discussion with the wife. Sing an extra song with the kids.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, this may be one of those "culture shock" things and how people say those from the Northeast are always in a rush. And, they have a point.

Assuming you are going from Tega Cay to Indian Land, it's about 9 miles.

The difference in time saved from going 50mph and 35mph (Assuming you can keep that 50mph the whole way) is a whoping 4 minutes.

So I can see a local wondering why you are wasting fuel and rushing down the road to save 4 minutes. Kick back and enjoy the scenery...have a little longer discussion with the wife. Sing an extra song with the kids.
Rushing? I just want to drive at a normal speed for the road. If they felt like the road shouldnt be so "fast" they speed limit wouldnt be 50. "Rushing" would me wanting to drive 65 on the road. Driving 35 is way to slow and 15mph UNDER the posted limit. When you drive that road over and over, there isnt much to "take in". All I want to do is get from point A to point B at a normal speed, not a snails pace.

I was originally talking about Fort Mill into Charlotte (towards the Target) but, the same applies into Indian land.

Last edited by DaysofThundr46; 01-10-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Speaking of that drive, there totally needs to have a turn lane put in on 160/Hamiliton as well as a light and turn lane on 160/Zoar, since alot of people use both roads as cut throughs to Palisades in addition to new elementary on Hamiliton.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Rushing? I just want to drive at a normal speed for the road. If they felt like the road shouldnt be so "fast" they speed limit wouldnt be 50. "Rushing" would me wanting to drive 65 on the road. Driving 35 is way to slow and 15mph UNDER the posted limit. When you drive that road over and over, there isnt much to "take in". All I want to do is get from point A to point B at a normal speed, not a snails pace.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Give it a few years, you'll catch on. I probably wouldn't go 35mph but I can understand why someone would.

The limit is just that...as fast as one should go, not the minimum speed. That's your Northeastern trained mind showing up right there.

I used to be the same way, even when I moved South. Now in CT, I just giggle at the folks who get all bent out of shape wanting to go 65 on a 50 speed limit back road who blow by at full throttle as soon as any straight appears with big fat grimace on their face.

45mph is just fine with me. Life's too short to "make time" all the time.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 21,999 times
I noticed the slow traffic too. That entire stretch tries the most patient during rush hour.
For what it's worth, I've noticed a number of pedestrians on the side of the road (heading towards Target). There is no sidewalk and the pedestrians like to walk along the side of the road. ...Perhaps they should lower the speed limit until better accommodations can be made for those on foot.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
That stretch of road has deep shoulders (on the side going to Target). I'd hate to see what a skid into the shoulder can do. Plus, as earlier mentioned, there are many communities built around there and there have been many serious accidents because the residents can just pull out into the middle of the road.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM

285 posts, read 1,019,809 times
Sorry, I don't buy the Southerners are slow drivers bit. I grew up in the South and heartily deny it. I lived in DC for years too and experienced the NE mindset. It is hurry, hurry run the light, don't let anyone merge insanity. But they don't drive any faster than Southerners, they are just RUDE and aggressive.

Folks get backed up a lot on that stretch of 160 due to turns and it overloaded with traffic. But unless it is rush hour my experience is that people go over the speed limit on that road. Maybe you just have bad luck?

Either way, I agree it's better to just chill if you get stuck behind a slowpoke rather than have a stroke about it. But I agree there seriously need to be a turn left light at Zoar and that other light-controlled intersection. It gets ridiculous getting past those spots at rush times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties