Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times

Advertisements

Faison eyes Rock Hill mall deal | Charlotte Business Journal

Funny to read this and see Target, Home Depot, Hollywood Video and Chick Fil A were all interested in the property, yet, none came.

So from what i understand, the city wanted Dave Lyle Blvd to be the "retail road" and not Cherry Road? This is why they built a new mall there and basically took all its tenants from the Cherry Road mall to the Galleria?

Also.... The Galleria is advertising itself as a great place to shop, eat and play.....but the mall is suffering pretty bad. It has 2 empty mid-major departments stores (one is some 3rd party clothing store, another seems to be used as the flavor of the month). Plus theres MAJOR vacancies with 2 empty jewelry stores, whatever that massive store was in the center (with the enclosed glass front) plus the "cold" wall that separates the mall from walmart. When a mall gets a lot of "3rd party" stores to fill its vacancies, that doesnt mean good things are ahead.

With Pineville having a VERY nice mall, can Rock Hill Galleria stand up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
The Rock Hill Mall opened on Cherry Rd, August 21, 1968. It was so exciting as it was our first mall. Unfortunately it killed downtown RH. Trying to save downtown in 1977 the city built a roof over both sides of Main St ... Town Center Mall was the result. It was a dark dreary place.

Everything was on Cherry Rd, Beaty Shopping Center, KMart, WoolCo formerly Clark's, several other strip malls and the RH Mall.

The Rock Hill Herald - Google News Archive Search

The City then came up with the idea of the Dave Lyle Corridor, the Gateway to Rock Hill. They widened the road, installed the Civitas, Galleria was built and the Rock Hill Mall died. The property was sold to the Catawba Indian Tribe and a Bingo place was opened in the old mall. Then the Tribe sold the property.

I haven't been to the Galleria in years. I shop in Pineville or Charlotte. But this year I did all my Christmas shopping online.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM

A cool website with photos of the mall before it was knocked down: Rock Hill Mall; Rock Hill, South Carolina | Labelscar: The Retail History Blog

Kmart has been there THAT long? I have a feeling it had an addition at some point, as when going into the grocery and then toy and electronic section, it is clearly a different shape building, and you can tell it looks different then the rest of the store, as its more long and rectangular. Maybe it was an old kmart food store, or the old drug store?

I would LOVE to find photos of the old downtown with the roof over it.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM

It was a small KMart with the original loud speaker calls of "Blue Light Special" on aisle 4 for ten minutes. I can't recall when they did the remodel and addition and became Super KMart. That's another one I haven't visited for several years.

I don't know where any pictures would be of the Town Center Mall ... if you look at Main St now, just imagine a roof over it with both ends closed in ... no sky lights ... dark and gloomy inside. Actually only a few stores they all moved to the new Mall on Cherry Rd.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
It was a small KMart with the original loud speaker calls of "Blue Light Special" on aisle 4 for ten minutes. I can't recall when they did the remodel and addition and became Super KMart. That's another one I haven't visited for several years.

I don't know where any pictures would be of the Town Center Mall ... if you look at Main St now, just imagine a roof over it with both ends closed in ... no sky lights ... dark and gloomy inside. Actually only a few stores they all moved to the new Mall on Cherry Rd.
Its a Big K, not a Super Kmart. I believe the last Super Kmart left the south a few years ago.

So the only lights were from the stores themselves? Seems really strange. How long did that last?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally the roof over Main St was high enough so there would be a second floor promenade. But that didn't work out. It made it easy for burglars to crawl through upper level windows. As a result, the windows on the historic storefronts facing the mall were boarded up. Thus cutting out any natural light.

But Belks, The Smart Shop, Langston's, and I can't recall all of the stores but they were gone to Cherry Rd. There was very few stores left to provide any light. The bottom area where the old Friedheim Dept store is was really dark.

So in 1993 they removed the roof over Main St and Town Center Mall was no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties