U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,228,155 times
Default Indian Land Wal-Mart driving grochery stores out of town?

I was in Indian Land today and drove by what seemed to be an abandon Bi-Lo store. Down the street is the massive WalMart Supercenter. Its the largest ive ever seen. Am i venturing to guess WalMart drove Bi-Lo (or whatever brand store it was) out?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 AM

174 posts, read 209,996 times
To my knowledge there hasn't been a Bi-Lo in Indian Land. Where did you see this abandoned building? A new Aldi just opened up and there is a Harris Teeter and Food Lion down near Sun City. Plus there are rumors of opening a Publix. So the quick answer is no, Walmart isn't driving anything out.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,228,155 times
I meant Indian Trail.... i get those 2 town names easily crossed up!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,872,034 times
If memory serves that Bi-lo was gone before Wal-mart even opened there, Bi-lo closed a bunch of stores as part of their chapter 11 reorg.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 AM

I wondered if that was the case, no worries. Happens all the time

Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM

100 posts, read 178,109 times
Honestly, I thought Walmart would kill other chains or stop them from opening up. However, I've seen Aldi's opening their stores close to walmart locations (Fort Mill and Indian Land).

I haven't seen the one in Indian Land empty so I guess consumers are doing what they do best.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

187 posts, read 343,602 times
The Indian Land Walmart...ugh.

Their prices are higher on most items than any other Walmart in the area -- even $2 higher on some items -- and they never keep a lot of staple items stocked. I keep going back expecting things to change, and they never do. I think I've made my last trip there.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 AM

I've only been once and didn't enjoy it, granted I've never liked Walmart. But we found many items out of stock. I've heard of similar problems with the Warlmart in Rock Hill.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM

109 posts, read 200,143 times
I agree with many of the posts, as I live very close to the new Indian Land Walmart. Their inventory and selection is pathetic. The deli area hot/cold food area is second to many gas stations. I went to buy a kids bike a couple months back the same morning their new ad came out and they had non in inventory. They tried to give me the runaround that they "must have sold out," I didn't fall for it and after over an hour of complaining, they sold me a different bike that cost twice as much as the one in the ad for the same price. They also have a type of cookie I like and sold in a bulk size package. They haven't had them for more than two months, though the self space and sticker is still in place. I've been in a few times later in the evening and noticed numerous packages of "fresh" meat starting to turn brown. I prefer to shop the sale items at HT for produce/seafood/fresh meats, at least I know I'm getting a higher quality item. I think Walmart's buys a lower grade of produce than other stores, as one day I went to buy some loose pack Granny Smith apples and every one had a blemish.

I had expected the store to be something that would draw from the SE Charlotte/Ballantyne/Blakeney are heavily and expectations for residents of those areas are pretty high relative to other areas Walmarts are located - guess I was wrong as I've seen much better run stores in more rural areas.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM

9,105 posts, read 4,829,784 times
The York SC Walmart is an old store and ten miles down the Hwy is the new Walmart in Newport. The prices are different between the old store and the new store. But recently both stores have been raising their prices. Not just nickels, dimes and quarters either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties