Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 19,717 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of negative talk about SC. I was wondering if anyone out there can give us an honest opinion about the YORK area and tell us if we are making a mistake in relocating there.
We come from an area of high taxes, very "politically correct" public schools and liberal state gov't. [NY]
We are looking for: small town, conservative, traditional values that are evident in the public schools and state gov't., low crime and low cost of living.
THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Based on what you want, York County is perfect. The CITY of York in York County is pretty rural. However, Fort Mill is semi-rural/suburbia with easy access to Charlotte. I lived in WNY for 11 years and came to Charlotte 6.5 years ago and love the area. I just moved to Fort Mill a month or so ago and it's great. My gf/fiance's family lived not far away in Rock Hill, a good size city in York and satellite city of Charlotte. I have not encountered any problems in this area. Just come, adapt, socialize, respect the natives, and you will be ok.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,988 times
We just moved to Fort Mill from PA and love it !! I however am not religous a fan of the Clintons (aka: liberal) and I still fit in. Everyone has been so nice. The people at my girls school have been fabulous through the registration process. My girls are doing a nice inexpensive sports camp which I have been very pleased with. Tons of recreation activities. We belong to Leroy springs rec center and the baxter Y and have met friends at both places. Plus you are so close to Charlotte there is always something to do. They have a great kids museum. There is also the close proximity of Lake Wylie - my tip to everyone is spend slightly less on your house and save soem $$ and get a boat, I really wish we would have. One thing I would say to look for when you move is a great neighborhood. It will make all the difference in the world. We actually had neighbors bring us dinner the day we moved in, other brought brownies etc.. The police have been great so far,even spoke at a home owners meeting. Cost of living is certainly less as far as taxes and gas. The only thing I found to be really expensive are the groceries as where I come from they are cheaper to begin with and are not taxed. All in all having this quality of life and family time with my hubby getting home at 5 pm I would not trade it for anything in teh world and we have not even experinced a mild winter yet- can I tell you how happy I am that I will not have to snowblow this year.

Good luck. I truly think you will love it. Most people who bash are just the unhappy with everything sort who really dont put in the effort to do anything to change what they don't like.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 18,570 times
I grew up not far from Fort Mill but have been away for 9 years. We made the decision to move home (free babysitting!) and we close on a house in Baxter next week. However, although I certainly won't miss the high cost of living in DC, I am a proud liberal so I'm happy to hear that there may be a few at home in South Cac

Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,583 times
Default York Sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estefy View Post
There has been a lot of negative talk about SC. I was wondering if anyone out there can give us an honest opinion about the YORK area and tell us if we are making a mistake in relocating there.
We come from an area of high taxes, very "politically correct" public schools and liberal state gov't. [NY]
We are looking for: small town, conservative, traditional values that are evident in the public schools and state gov't., low crime and low cost of living.
THANK YOU
hI, i LIVE IN yORK cOUNTY sc..ACTUALLY IN cLOVER..tHERE IS NO CRIME HERE, WELL NOT THAT i SEE. iT IS A SMALL TOWN, WITH LOTS OF NEW GROWTH. I LIE IN A NEW SUBDIVISION AND WE ARE ALL TRANSPLANTS. I MOVED HERE FROM RI 2 YEARS PRIOR...MY DAUGHTER WASIN PARAOCHIAL SCHOOL AND NOW HIGH SCHOOL, SHE IS IN ALL ADVANCED CLASSES AND LOVES SCHOOL. SHE WENT FROM A SCHOOL OF 400 TO 2, 000. WHERE ARE YOU MOVING TO? YORK COUNTY OR YORK HISTORIC?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,583 times
York County Has Many Towns, York Downtown Is Very Rural....clover/lake Wylie, Are Close To Charlotte. Fot Mill And Tega Cay Are Very Busy And Somewhat Overpopulated. There Is Also A Freeze In Some Of The Elem. Schools Currently. Downtown Yrk Is Far From Shopping, Movies Etc...i Live In Clover And At Times Feel I Am To Far Away. But Other Areas Are Too Busy And Have Too Many People. This Are Is Growing But At A Slower Pace. Good Luck

Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,758 times
I'm also from NY (Dutchess County) and am moving to the city of York VERY soon. (House is almost finished)
Everyone we have met and dealt witht here have been fabulous!!! We cannot wait. I love the ruralness of the area but yet the proximity to city life as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 AM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,647 times
I just have one suggestion that might help with the transition. Move to an area that also has transplants or newcomers. Sometimes these small established towns in the south that are nestled here and there, that see little transition can feel stuffy. Most of the folks in these places have lifetime friends and loads of extended family and have little need nor want to reach out to newcomers. Not to say they aren`t friendly , its just that friendships with any depth may be challenging. Places with growth and transplants seem to come hand in hand with others needing and longing for new friends. My other suggestion would be to find an area with easy assess to a larger town, sometimes finding things to do in these small towns can be a challenge. The Lake Wylie or Fort Mill sounds perfect. Give it time and remember all the things you are trying to leave behind and the change will be rewarding. I know the town I live in, not in SC is trying desperately to lure retirees for economic survival but being from andold established community, the old timers can get cranky with all the change. I think we treat the new folks terrible. Its like we lure them here then abandon them. So pick an area that sees an influx of transplants. Good Luck!!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern lisa View Post
York County Has Many Towns, York Downtown Is Very Rural....clover/lake Wylie, Are Close To Charlotte. Fot Mill And Tega Cay Are Very Busy And Somewhat Overpopulated. There Is Also A Freeze In Some Of The Elem. Schools Currently. Downtown Yrk Is Far From Shopping, Movies Etc...i Live In Clover And At Times Feel I Am To Far Away. But Other Areas Are Too Busy And Have Too Many People. This Are Is Growing But At A Slower Pace. Good Luck
I think everything is relative. I moved from Charlotte, and Tega Cay and Fort Mill don't seem to have too many people at all. In fact, I was amazed this afternoon to drive up to a service station and get right in to get an oil change. On a Sat. afternoon...I couldn't believe it. On Sat. afternoon you wait at least 1.5 hours in Charlotte to get in for an oil change. I think it's quite quiet in this area, and I'm glad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties