U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

90 posts, read 100,435 times
Default Police in Fort Mill Schools

Just curious, why are there armed police in each Fort Mill middle school and high school? That means five paid police officers sitting in schools all day long ( two high schools and three middle schools)! I can understand the need for security guards to be there to assist with traffic and general behavior issues, but armed police officers EVERY day? This seems like a waste of tax payer money for us and a very boring job for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM

38 posts, read 59,037 times
Default think about it

between 750 kids at each middle school and 1200 at each high school 30% of the population of Fort Mill is centrally located during the day. Things happen when any large groups gather.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,260,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
Just curious, why are there armed police in each Fort Mill middle school and high school? That means five paid police officers sitting in schools all day long ( two high schools and three middle schools)! I can understand the need for security guards to be there to assist with traffic and general behavior issues, but armed police officers EVERY day? This seems like a waste of tax payer money for us and a very boring job for them.
I thought Fort Mill had some of the best schools in the area? It doesnt seem like "that" type of town. Ive never heard of any issues at either high school that needed police involvement.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM

2,519 posts, read 1,601,059 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound out of the norm. It is needed, especially in today's world with the stuff that goes around in other schools in the country. No matter how good a school is, it only takes one student to take it over the edge. Having a police presense helps prevent that stuff from occuring.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 AM

144 posts, read 158,176 times
I'm from a small town in CT, and we had an armed cop at my high school everyday. It's sad to say, but it was needed because we had some system where inner city kids came to our high school. The majority of the problems: fights, drugs, etc were started by those kids & with bomb threats and everything else these days, I don't think it matters what kind of town you are - stuff may happen.

Does Fort Mill have a system in which Charlotte kids can attend their schools? I'm not saying that's why there's an armed cop there, but I was unsure. I think parents would rather know their kids are in safe heads when they go to school, especially this day in age.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM

5,970 posts, read 12,071,398 times
My daughter used to go to South Charlotte schools. They had police. We also used to live in a very large apartment complex teeming with kids and is right next to Providence High. There are at least 2 cop cars in there as well when kids walk to the front of the complex to take the bus, and when the bus unloads.

I live in Fort Mill and police is there in case people from the outside also pose a threat to the students. There were at least 2 incidents of lockdowns in 2010 alone due to a possible threat from a criminal under pursuit. I think FM schools make good use of taxpayer dollars. I'd rather they be there at school opening and closing than hanging around the streets radaring people for speeding tickets.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM

90 posts, read 100,435 times
I guess I can understand. I'm just accustomed to a regular, un-armed security guard at a school with the police being called in if there is a need.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,359,798 times
I have no problems with what Fort Mill decides. I guess when you live in a nice town like we do the cops have to do something.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 14,541 times
They are called School Resource Officers. It is my understanding that their presence isn't just to ensure safety. It is to help create a bond between the officer and teens. Part of their job is to get to know the kids, to make their presence known, to foster a relationship between law enforcement and teens. I think that's a great concept. Kids have to feel safer for having the officers there...and I would assume it to be a deterent to kids trying to sell drugs, bring weapons, start fights etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 14,541 times
Quote:
I guess I can understand. I'm just accustomed to a regular, un-armed security guard at a school with the police being called in if there is a need.
yeah...i think those days are in the past !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties