Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM

116 posts, read 550,860 times

Advertisements

I have read where Fort Mill is building two new elementary schools that are planned to be open for 2009 school year. Does anyone know where they are to be located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:38 AM

192 posts, read 687,190 times
One is supposed to be down Doby's Bridge Rd by the new Massey development. The other I think is supposed to be up near the Springfield development but it doesn't seem to make sense because it's Gold Hill and Orchard Park ES that have enrollment freezes. You'd think the new ES would be over there somewhere. But I think that's what I read.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Default New Fort Mill Elementary Schools

By Regent Park (near Nation Ford High School) and the other...off Doby's Bridge

Fort Mill Times — District eyes 2 school sites (broken link)

I vaguely remember the school district looking at land around hwy160/Gold Hill Rd that is privately owned. While I can't remember the particulars...for whatever the reason...the land (currently) is not on the table there. It is becoming harder and harder to find land that meets all the criteria for building a new school within Fort Mill (quality of land, cost, size, and a land owner willing to sell).

There was a 8 part (I think it was 8?) series in the Fort Mill Times that covered looking for land for new schools (see link below)

Fort Mill Times — Looking for land (broken link)
(the other articles in regard to this series....can be found in the Fort Mill Times archives by using the Search feature).

IMO...thank goodness for the generosity of the Close (Springs) Family

(Every school in the Fort Mill School District is on land that was once owned or has been a part of the Close family).

Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Hasn't pretty much all of FM been owned by Spriongs Close at some point? Seems like it.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Hasn't pretty much all of FM been owned by Spriongs Close at some point? Seems like it.
Not all of it...but clearly alot of it. Another big land owner is the Spratt family. But I don't think Fort Mill would hold half the attraction it does for so many...if it wasn't for the Springs/Close family. As I stated prior (the land for the schools), now start thinking about our recreation in Fort Mill (the greenway, most of the local parks which was land donated or given to the town of Fort Mill at a fraction of its worth, and the Leroy Springs Recreation facility). Combine that with the excellent reputation of the Fort Mill School District..and you definetly have a winning combination.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Agreed. I hope Spratt preserves that land along Spratt/Business 21. I would hate to see it "developed" (destroyed imo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties