U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM

387 posts, read 518,203 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone on here experienced roof damage from the hail storm a couple of weeks ago and, if so, what roofing companies do they feel comfortable with? We're looking into a company called Roof-M-All. They require no down payment and they are listed with the BBB.

Can anyone make any other suggestions with a reputable company?

I appreciate any input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 PM

285 posts, read 656,272 times
The insurance adjuster showed me pictures of my roof - I'm amazed at how obvious the damage was on the shingles. We had golf ball size hail. We were approved for a full replacement roof.

I'm using AAA Southern, recommended by a neighbor. Work has not started, but I saw a roof they did for a neighbor and it looks fine. They finished it in 2 days.

I researched the shingles being used by Roof-m-all and there is a lot of complaints about the shingles out there. I also researched that sticky roofing "felt" Roof-m-all touts, and didn't see any advantage over regular felt.

AAA Southern will use any kind of shingle you want, I understand, but using Owens Corning Oakridge architectural shingles typically.

POC: Eric C. Schott, Managing Partner
AAA Southern Roofing and Siding
4623 Dwight Evans Road
Charlotte, NC 28217
Cell - 704-400-5292

I am not affiliated with this company in any way.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Hey! Thanks for the response! Are you saying Roof-M-All uses bad shingles or that there are bad shingles out there in general? I heard there are quite a few scams going on. So sad! It's hard to know who to go with because when the hail storm happened - all the contracting people came into our 'hood like vultures. I understand they want the work, but I don't like being pushed. Anyone else have good/bad experiences with roofers?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM

163 posts, read 410,261 times
I had my insurance adjuster come out and they basically said new roof. I had AlpahOmega roofing come out to give estimate, and they said that there was work to do, for sure, but not alot - much of the 'damage' was cosmetic, and would not hurt the roof. Soooo, not sure what to do now! I suppose get another estimate? Insurance cut us a check already....so, do I go with AlphaOmega roofing (they did the roofs in our development) for a grand maybe? keep the rest for a rainy day...Or, just go ahead and get new roof to play it safe?

Reason I say the above is because I've seen many roofs being replaced in our development, others, just patch work being done...and others - insurance told them just cosmetic and gave them nothing. I researched a bit and read (not sure what state - they get alot of hail storms whichever one it was) that stripping the roof is normally not necessary due to hail damage...That the shingles can be placed on top of the old (our roof is a bit over 3yrs old) ...That roofers will strip cause they make a ton of money in doing so...very time consuming.

What to do what to do...so many sharks swimming out there...

Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 AM

797 posts, read 1,173,371 times
We had baseball sized hail by me...and I got a locally owned roof business to come out and check my roof. He only found about 7 'cosmetic' hits on the roof that he says are only cosmetic and will not leak or cause any damage. I don't see any reason why he would lie about that since that would've been money in his pocket. I used Ace Roofing in Charlotte...they came out and did a free roof inspection.

I've also had a few 'stormchasers' coming around my neighborhood and while they may be legit, I would be very nervous to use them. I keep hearing horror stories about scams since they don't have a physical office here and travel around the country chasing storms. I rather use locally owned businesses.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM

425 posts, read 1,066,798 times
We are using camden. They are a fairly new company about 2 years old but are local, very nice, no money out of my pocket, use the top rated shingles and have already done two neighbors and they are very happy. They have an A- on bbb but that is just because of the length of time in business. I figured everyone has to start somewhere and why not help a newer one out.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM

163 posts, read 410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
We had baseball sized hail by me...and I got a locally owned roof business to come out and check my roof. He only found about 7 'cosmetic' hits on the roof that he says are only cosmetic and will not leak or cause any damage. I don't see any reason why he would lie about that since that would've been money in his pocket. I used Ace Roofing in Charlotte...they came out and did a free roof inspection.

I've also had a few 'stormchasers' coming around my neighborhood and while they may be legit, I would be very nervous to use them. I keep hearing horror stories about scams since they don't have a physical office here and travel around the country chasing storms. I rather use locally owned businesses.

To the bold - I had the same experience with the roofer that came to my home....But insurance said alot more damage - cut check for us. I suppose I'm wondering if my insurance pays for the cosmetic as well? Ex: I know they allowed money for dents dings in pipes and gutters..But the roof guy I had come out (he did not know we already went through insurance) told me that those things were not going to affect my roof...just cosmetic - up to me if I want to put something new up there....

I don't know...I only found the one roofer that worked on all the homes in our development, that was willing to give me an estimate, without me handing over my insurance info for them to do...Why is that? ...I'm thinking they want to make as much as they can off of my insurance - maybe fix cosmetic damage when that money could have ended up in my pocket, lol....

Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Our adjuster came out after we had an inspection and we definitely need a new roof. We have some small craters, a vent got dented up pretty bad, a chunk of wood got taken off my door, my gutters got damaged and at least 80% of my screens now have holes in them. And my AC unit got damaged. CRAZY!!! I was sick when the adjuster was showing me everything. Even our siding has a couple of cracks in it. The hail in our area was baseball size. The hood of my husband's truck has craters in it. My neighbor's truck looks like someone took a baseball bat and whacked a hundred balls into it at 200mph!

Thanks everyone for the input. :-)

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM

285 posts, read 656,272 times
I'm saying that the sample shingles card they left with me I googled the brand name of the shingles. The results were astoundingly bad. The shingles were being complained about, sued over, ripped off after 4 years due to defects. So do due diligence no matter who you hire. It does no good to put on a new roof if the product is cheap and inferior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Hey! Thanks for the response! Are you saying Roof-M-All uses bad shingles or that there are bad shingles out there in general? I heard there are quite a few scams going on. So sad! It's hard to know who to go with because when the hail storm happened - all the contracting people came into our 'hood like vultures. I understand they want the work, but I don't like being pushed. Anyone else have good/bad experiences with roofers?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 50,034 times
If you live inside the city, make sure the roofer obtains a permit and has a valid business license. The city gives out orange contractor decals, so always make sure to look for that before you sign anything. If your roofer doesn't have a decal, odds are they probably don't have a valid SC contractor license or a town of Fort Mill business license. If they don't pull a permit, the job won't be reviewed and the work won't be inspected. If the city inspector catches them working without a permit, they'll make them stop the job and will probably get a fine. Make sure to protect yourself... there are a lot of storm chasers and fly-by-night roofers out there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties