Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM

12 posts, read 23,818 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Clover area late summer and have middle school aged children. I would love any detailed information I could get about either if these middle schools.
thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,011 times
I have 2 kids in Clover Middle School and I think it's great. I can't compare to Oakridge - but I do know that they just finished building that school about 2 years ago so everything is brand new at that school. My kids wanted me to transfer them to Oakridge because they have more 'perks' since it's brand new...like a lounge area.

If I am not mistaken, I don't think you can choose which school you go to...it all depends on where you live. Before Oakridge was built, all kids went to Clover Middle - but once Oakridge open, they split the address zones and therefore some kids whose address were zoned for Oakridge went there.

Overall, I like Clover Middle - the teachers are great..they encourage the kids to learn and even offer tutoring. I keep in contact with all teachers through email which makes it easy for me to keep up with what is going on. They have good sports program. I also like that they coordinate special events in the evening so that gives working parents flexibility.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
They're both in the Clover school system. You can't go wrong with either. As Samana said, CMS used to house all middle school students as CJHS, but Lake Wylie now houses OMS and one day will have a high school. Both schools have competent staff members, great facilities (CMS is older, but it's not that old...built in the late 80s, early 90s maybe?). Best of luck to you in your search and your move!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Thank you both so much for the great feedback! Do either of you (or else out there)have children that play youth soccer. My boys have been involved in soccer since they were little, and I would love to learn about competitive soccer programs in the area.
P.S. to Samama, we haven't yet purchased a home, and schools drive my search above everything else!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercecv View Post
Thank you both so much for the great feedback! Do either of you (or else out there)have children that play youth soccer. My boys have been involved in soccer since they were little, and I would love to learn about competitive soccer programs in the area.
P.S. to Samama, we haven't yet purchased a home, and schools drive my search above everything else!
Good luck with your search!

One of my girls is on the Clover Middle School soccer team. They compete with other schools in the area - including Oakridge. It's fun and all the kids do a great job.

I did receive a postcard in the mail a few days ago about soccer tryouts in Steele Creek:

Main Page

Soccer season is over at the school now...I guess since there's only about 4 weeks left of school - but my daughter wants to play more soccer so I might look into this. There's also a Recreation Center in Clover and they have all kinds of sports, etc. Here's their website:

Welcome to Clover Recreation Soccer - (Clover, SC) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Where is Steel Creek? I heard about this soccer venue from another friend giving me info on the Charlette area.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercecv View Post
Where is Steel Creek? I heard about this soccer venue from another friend giving me info on the Charlette area.
Steele Creek is the area around Hwy 49 and 160 in Charlotte. There's a pretty big shopping center in that area that has a Super Target, Old Navy, Marshall's, Home Depot, McDonalds..etc. I believe the soccer field is just a few miles up from this shopping plaza...

Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Thank you!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
No kids here, so Samana's great advice will have to be your driving point I'm just a product of the system and still check in as family lives in the area. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties