Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,270 times

Advertisements

what's the commute to uptown like from fort mill? better worse than matthews/union county/or the same? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM

276 posts, read 476,928 times
I am looking for an eco-friendly (- 1500 sq ft), architecturally and aesthetically progressive (or at least non-vulgar) on a wooded lot. Modernist would be great, but log home, A-Frame, or even just 80's contemporary. And it needs to be under 150K.

Is such a thing impossible? Is it all McMansions? Are there any older areas where there was at least a little concern for architecture and they didn't chop down all the trees and stack the houses on top of each other?

If not, how far south would I have to go to find something that had a little breathing room between it and other houses, and was affordable to someone of modest means?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocharlotte2008 View Post
what's the commute to uptown like from fort mill? better worse than matthews/union county/or the same? thanks
From Fort Mill it's not to bad. Traffic backs up from exit 2 to exit 9 (the main uptown exit). To avoid this, you can get off at exit 2 and take S. Tryon uptown. You can also place yourself where you can take the 82x express bus (which is very nice) or the Lynx light rail.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 PM

75 posts, read 222,308 times
Hi Groove1 - I've heard mention of the "light rail" before. Is this a sort of quick train to Charlotte? Do people take it for work? Is it expensive? Thanks! Gayle

Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 PM

Gayle, it leaves from I-485 and South Blvd and goes straight uptown. The fare is 1.30 each way or $13 for a weekly unlimited rides pass. C.A.T.S. has all the info. I don't work uptown, but we have used it to go uptown to the arena, convention center, theate, etc. Very nice, safe, enjoyable ride. It is somewhat crowded in the rush hour. They predicted a ridership daily of 9100 and it's above 12000 going up to 25k for days with a large event or several events uptown.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM

31 posts, read 78,079 times
Default moving from nj

hey looking to move from NJ I'm a heavy equipment operator is their munch work there

Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
We are thinking about moving to the Sun City Carolina Lakes community. Does anyone have any insight good or bad about it?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdcb View Post
hey looking to move from NJ I'm a heavy equipment operator is their munch work there
Lot of construction around here,

Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 PM

259 posts, read 798,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra1954 View Post
We are thinking about moving to the Sun City Carolina Lakes community. Does anyone have any insight good or bad about it?
Hello!

We moved to South Carolina in August and we were going to look into Sun City. It has some wonderful amenities for active seniors. But I did some investigation over the internet before we moved down, talked to a sales lady and determined that it was not for us. It has a lot of choices of home styles but they will not make any changes to them. It is also too far from interstate 77 for us since we have a son in the northern part of Charlotte. For those two reasons, we decided not to even visit the site. We have ended up building a custom home in a non-senior development. I would have preferred a senior environment, but it did not work for us.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra1954 View Post

My parents have been there about a year and absolutely love it -- they definitely take advantage of many of the social opportunities and are quite active in the community.

In terms of building, there are many floor plans to choose from, but often not many variations from the plans themselves. You will have choices in terms of color/cabinetry etc. but limited structural.

I know in some instances there is negotiating room, as I have been able to do this for my clients.

Either way, as with any builder or resale, I recommend inspections!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties