Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM

299 posts, read 1,071,499 times

Advertisements

I was outside watering my plant this morning and noticed a kept feeling little bites on my arms. Eventually I notice teeny, tiny little bugs about 1mm long. They were tan or orange-ish in color. Any idea what on earth these were? They were so small I couldn't tell you anything else about them othen than that they were skinny compared to their length. I couldn't keep them off of me, but they only seemed attack my arms, not my legs. Thanks for any help.

Here's a pic... a little fuzzy. I used a macro-lens to get an extreme close-up of the teeny critter: 057 pictures from outdoors photos on webshots

Last edited by SilverSagess; 05-23-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,629 times
Bitting gnats? In Charleston we called them NOSEEUMS. NO SEEUM

Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the fast response. I think that must be what it is. Oddly, we didn't have this problem last year. This is only my second year in the Carolinas, so this problem is a new one to me. Darn little buggers!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,360 times
It sounds like the young form of thrips - orangish brown worm like and about 2/10 inch long and skinny. Their bite hurts! The worst part is we aren't even food to them. They are biting us just to see if we are food. Thrips: The Invisible Biter (http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/IPM/Landscape/F1/nThrips.htm - broken link)

I have about 15 thrips bites as I type this

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM

After seeing the pic of the Thrips, I'm sure that's it!!! And the way I kept them off was spraying my arms with water from hose now and then. Oddly, there is nothing flowering in my yard, so I'm not sure what they are attracted to unless it's the weeds in the yard of the vacant house next door.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
After seeing the pic of the Thrips, I'm sure that's it!!! And the way I kept them off was spraying my arms with water from hose now and then. Oddly, there is nothing flowering in my yard, so I'm not sure what they are attracted to unless it's the weeds in the yard of the vacant house next door.
I think you are right thinking it's the weeds next door. The only luck I have had is weed wacking everything in my yard - keeping everything in "good trim". The problem this year is I am growing a square foot vegetable garden and I can't weed wack my garden! I can see the little guys running around on the wood that holds my garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
View detailed profiles of: