Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,233,201 times

Advertisements

Their all over place on Cherry road in Rock Hill. I think I counted six of these. Kinda makes the area look dicey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,935,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Their all over place on Cherry road in Rock Hill. I think I counted six of these. Kinda makes the area look dicey.
Only Six?? When you take the exit off of I-77 at McDonalds on Cherry Rd ... start counting from there, both sides of Cherry Rd. and ride all the way down past Winthrop. There is one or two across from the stadium. There is more than 25+ Cash Advance places, Pay Day Loans and Title Loan places. That is all that is on Cherry Rd now.

A few years ago the local SC House of Rep for that area ... Rep King tried to get a bill passed to regulate those places. At that time a person could go from one to another and get loans ... like $300.00 each until their pay check, Social Security or Welfare checks arrived. The interest rates are like 300%+. The Herald carried the usual sad stories of people owing two or three of those places.

The bill didn't pass to close them down ... the SC General Assembly did pass a few regulations. A person can only have one loan and it's up to the establishment to make sure the borrower doesn't have loans at other locations.

The internet is amazing ... I check around and found out why the politicians didn't pass the bill ... Pay Day Loans ... Cash Advance ... all make big campaign contributions to our politicians. Nikki Haley received $2250 in 2007, $4000 in 2008 and a contribution of $10,000 when she was working for the Lexington Medical Foundation. I found other politicians that received campaign contributions ... so the General Assembly will not kill their cash cows.

Pennies for Progress has included in the 2012 Pennies that just passed this week improvements to Cherry Rd at Winthrop College ... the city is referring to the Cherry Road Corridor ... when parents bring their young people to Winthrop if they exit off of I-77 at the McDonalds ... it's a corridor all right of Pay Day loan places!! It makes the area look sleazy not dicey!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM

It looks like an area for lowlifes!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
It looks like an area for lowlifes!
You are right ... the one on the corner of Cherry Rd & Riverview Rd (Jack In The Box on opposite corner) was robbed twice ... and the robber got away on a moped!!! Of course it was robbed more than two times but the moped bandit was unique!!

The taxpayers spent millions in beautification and road improvements for Cherry Road and this is it ... pay day loan joints!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 AM

595 posts, read 1,617,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The taxpayers spent millions in beautification and road improvements for Cherry Road and this is it ... pay day loan joints!
Every time I drive down Cherry Road I wonder how there is enough pay day loan business to keep all these places open. There must be a large number of people getting these loans.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Every time I drive down Cherry Road I wonder how there is enough pay day loan business to keep all these places open. There must be a large number of people getting these loans.
Who in the heck uses them? Is it people who don't have a bank account.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm not familiar with them either ... just from what I have read about them. They charge over 300% interest. I called Rep King even though I am not in his district. He wanted them gone, closed down. I called my Representative and he was wishy washy and said some of our poorer population depends on these places. So our General Assembly added a few regulations ... very few!

These places are pulling in big money off the backs of poor people.

York County, SC | Curbing payday lending | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 08-10-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 PM

161 posts, read 527,697 times
One reason there are so many in Rock Hill and Fort Mill is they have been abolished by the legislature in NC and for good reason. Still, the blood suckers advertise heavily in NC, and when a potential client calls one of their toll free numbers, they are directed to SC. As a previous poster mentioned, they charge 300 plus percent interest. Another of those "only in SC" moments!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 PM

595 posts, read 1,617,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
One reason there are so many in Rock Hill and Fort Mill is they have been abolished by the legislature in NC and for good reason. Still, the blood suckers advertise heavily in NC, and when a potential client calls one of their toll free numbers, they are directed to SC. As a previous poster mentioned, they charge 300 plus percent interest. Another of those "only in SC" moments!
Good observation. I didn't know they were preying on the poor from both SC & NC. That makes them all the worse.

People should really be educated about finances in school so they won't grow up and use these scum for loans.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM

58 posts, read 207,819 times
With these places not in business in NC it should be no surprise that one of the highest crime rate areas in York County is right off of Exit 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties