Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 AM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

Why are they replacing the bridge across the Catawba River at N. Cherry Road past the Branding Iron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Stimulus money is replacing the old Hwy 21 Catawba river bridge.

Richard Eckstrom, SC Comptroller General, has a website that provides info on how South Carolina has spent the stimulus money received two years ago. The Catawba river bridge is in there ... I don't recall the amount of money. In February, South Carolina had spent $4,040,582,302 of the stimulus money.

stimulus.sc.gov - Stimulus Projects (http://www.stimulus.sc.gov/projects/ - broken link)

Eckstrom's office issued an agency-by-agency breakdown of the “stimulus” funding in February. He has tracked the money since it arrived in SC.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Stimulus money is replacing the old Hwy 21 Catawba river bridge.

Richard Eckstrom, SC Comptroller General, has a website that provides info on how South Carolina has spent the stimulus money received two years ago. The Catawba river bridge is in there ... I don't recall the amount of money. In February, South Carolina had spent $4,040,582,302 of the stimulus money.

stimulus.sc.gov - Stimulus Projects (http://www.stimulus.sc.gov/projects/ - broken link)

Eckstrom's office issued an agency-by-agency breakdown of the “stimulus” funding in February. He has tracked the money since it arrived in SC.
With a 4 lane I-77, from Rock Hill to Charlotte, and exits to Fort Mill and Tega Cay, I did not think Cherry Road needed to be extended northward.
Rather waste of money unless the bridge is unsafe.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
With a 4 lane I-77, from Rock Hill to Charlotte, and exits to Fort Mill and Tega Cay, I did not think Cherry Road needed to be extended northward.
Im pretty sure the bridge is very old and out dated. It also carries some type off liquid via a large pipe across the bridge. I live about 3 miles from the bridge, and when it was in operation w/o construction, it was a nightmare. If you got any wide truck or load, you had to let them pass, as it is very narrow. I usually take I-77 to get to Cherry road, so I can avoid the slow pokes on 21, but if they have a 2 lane bridge, it wont be as bad.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The bridge is old but I actually trust it more than new bridges. But it did need to be replaced according to the City of RH and York County leaders. That area is the Cherry Road Corridor leading to Riverwalk ... not to be confused with River Park off of Red River Rd.

Have you visited Riverwalk? The Velodrome is under construction and is suppose to be completed January 2012.

I have no problem with the new bridge ... it's the surrounding area prior to entering Riverwalk ... that needs to be cleaned up too ... Porter's old motel and grill ... people entering RH over the new bridge can't miss the junk.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 PM

209 posts, read 613,081 times
What is The Velodrome?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM

...I thought the riverwalk was an apartment complex or a upscale condo/townhome community, and apparently its an ares to go walking or biking?

Porters motel definitely needs to go, or, be re-done.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schun22 View Post
What is The Velodrome?
The Velodrome is a cycling facility. The 250m, world-class Velodrome is expected to host USA Cycling national championships. This year-round recreational center will welcome cyclists of all stages and ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
...I thought the riverwalk was an apartment complex or a upscale condo/townhome community, and apparently its an ares to go walking or biking?
Riverwalk is 1000 acres planned residential, commercial and retail community to be developed along the Catawba River. Approx 250 acres will be devoted to public recreation including river access, additional trails, athletic fields, parks, gardens, a climbing wall, and a variety of cycling venues.

You need to ride down and look around. The 3 mile river trail is open. Hours 8 am to 8 pm April through September and 8 am to 6 pm October through March. From Fort Mill down old Hwy 21 just past the bridge on the left you will see the Riverwalk sign.

Riverwalk Trails | Riverwalk (http://www.riverwalkcarolinas.com/cycling-outdoor-centers/riverwalk-trails/ - broken link)

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 AM

209 posts, read 613,081 times
Wow, that looks impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The Velodrome is a cycling facility. The 250m, world-class Velodrome is expected to host USA Cycling national championships. This year-round recreational center will welcome cyclists of all stages and ages.

Riverwalk is 1000 acres planned residential, commercial and retail community to be developed along the Catawba River. Approx 250 acres will be devoted to public recreation including river access, additional trails, athletic fields, parks, gardens, a climbing wall, and a variety of cycling venues.

You need to ride down and look around. The 3 mile river trail is open. Hours 8 am to 8 pm April through September and 8 am to 6 pm October through March. From Fort Mill down old Hwy 21 just past the bridge on the left you will see the Riverwalk sign.

Riverwalk Trails | Riverwalk (http://www.riverwalkcarolinas.com/cycling-outdoor-centers/riverwalk-trails/ - broken link)

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM

I totally wanna ride a bike on that thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties