U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 PM

63 posts, read 187,825 times

Advertisements

Jim and nicks is pretty good, and the cream pies are really good. But something about the BBQ is not quite right. Each time we've been the pork is dry, has no smoky flavor, and no red smoke ring on the outside of the meat.

There are two pallets of wood outside near the patio, but Im starting to think they are just for show, and they are tossing pork butts in a convection oven for a few hours.

Also tried Maurice's in front of Wal-Mart in Rock Hill, I don't know what all the fuss is about, the bbq is bland and tasteless and so is the sauce. The only put out the regular sauce, so if you like spicy sauce your out of luck at Maurice's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM

412 posts, read 551,066 times
Default Jim and Nicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm View Post
Jim and nicks is pretty good, and the cream pies are really good. But something about the BBQ is not quite right. Each time we've been the pork is dry, has no smoky flavor, and no red smoke ring on the outside of the meat.

There are two pallets of wood outside near the patio, but Im starting to think they are just for show, and they are tossing pork butts in a convection oven for a few hours.

Also tried Maurice's in front of Wal-Mart in Rock Hill, I don't know what all the fuss is about, the bbq is bland and tasteless and so is the sauce. The only put out the regular sauce, so if you like spicy sauce your out of luck at Maurice's.
Gee....I'm glad someone else noticed.....hate to be negative, but we ate there the other day and we had the ribs and they were terrible.
The meat was so dry and tough, I thought I was eating Beef Jerky on a bone!. Not one drop of juice was on our plates. For $16 for a 1/2 and $22 for a Full. I found it a little $$.....I was disappointed

Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 AM

149 posts, read 365,729 times
We like to try new places in the area but have not tried Jim and Nicks yet. Does it even compare to Courtney's in Clover. So far that is hands down the best BBQ I have had, but always like to give a new place a chance.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,352,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Add me to the Jim'N'Nicks fan club. Pulled pork on sourdough ftw. Today, I plan to finally save room to try the pecan pie.
The pecan pie was love.
Because a picture is worth a thousand words.... (oh, and that's the chocolate cream pie on the right - also delicious I was told)

Old 09-06-2008, 07:33 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,392,966 times
Default BacInTime

Hubby took me and the kids for coffee and dessert to this little quaint coffee shop in downtown FM on Confederate Street. I have to say that the shop lives up to its name. Tastefully furnished in antiques with books, magazines and old furniture, both atmosphere and coffee was excellent. Not only was the coffee great, the prices are less than what one would pay at Starbuck's. A guest guitarist playing classical music was there tonight. They had small separate sitting rooms which makes for a very relaxing experience. A function room is available sitting 14 for private parties. Georgia the owner, a Charlotte native was a gracious host and stops by the tables to greet customers and chat for a little bit. Outside is a small garden with chairs and tables for those who want a little nature retreat. The place reminds me of a bed and breakfast...my daughter who's a freshman realized that most of her friends at FMHS and NFHS actually have been there before and are repeat customers. I guess that makes the place "cool". Definitely a recommend and we will return to sample some lite fare.

The shop also exhibits products of local artists who she is very much into supporting. There was some handmade jewelry, painting, photos and pottery.

Last edited by bibit612; 09-06-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 AM

225 posts, read 462,255 times
We tried this place last night and it was great. It is a Cuban restaurant called

Carlos' Cafe
1998 Cherry Rd
Rock Hill, SC 29732
Phone: (803) 329-7171

It is a family owned restaurant serving authentic Cuban food and in a nice friendly family oriented type setting. I tried the Lechon Asado or Roast Pork, with rice and beans, sweet plantains and onions. My wife had the the masitas de puerco or pork chunks, also with rice and beans, tostones, and fried yucca in garlic sauce. They also serve authentic Cuban sandwiches. For dessert, we had the tres leche cake or three milk cake. It was delicious. The prices was very affordable and the owners/wait staff were very attentive. I definitely recommend this restaurant. It is a different experience that you will enjoy!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:28 PM

3,238 posts, read 6,133,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707 View Post
We tried this place last night and it was great. It is a Cuban restaurant called

Carlos' Cafe
1998 Cherry Rd
Rock Hill, SC 29732
Phone: (803) 329-7171

It is a family owned restaurant serving authentic Cuban food and in a nice friendly family oriented type setting. I tried the Lechon Asado or Roast Pork, with rice and beans, sweet plantains and onions. My wife had the the masitas de puerco or pork chunks, also with rice and beans, tostones, and fried yucca in garlic sauce. They also serve authentic Cuban sandwiches. For dessert, we had the tres leche cake or three milk cake. It was delicious. The prices was very affordable and the owners/wait staff were very attentive. I definitely recommend this restaurant. It is a different experience that you will enjoy!
I love this place the fried pork chunks are to die for

Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 PM

225 posts, read 462,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I love this place the fried pork chunks are to die for
Obviously, a man with good taste.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 AM

3,238 posts, read 6,133,575 times
So anybody been anywhere else worth mentioning?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM

174 posts, read 327,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
So anybody been anywhere else worth mentioning?
Some favorites in Rock Hill:

Thai Palace on Anderson Rd./21 bypass
The Little Cafe for breakfast, on Mt. Gallant Rd.
Charanda for Mexican (Dave Lyle, near Food Lion)
Thi's Place on Main (Vietnamese)
Wing King on Oakland Ave.

I try to avoid the national chains, but I like the ribs at Firebonz on Cherry Rd., and the service is always excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties