Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM

63 posts, read 299,053 times

Advertisements

The new Chicken Shak in Fort Mill is great. It's at the corner of 160 and Doby's bridge. Apparently Wing King is changing it's name to Chicken Shak after a falling out with the owener of the Wing King on Carowinds. But the wings are still good, and the buffalo chicken sandwich is bigger than my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM

259 posts, read 798,160 times
Can someone on here tell me more about Thai Palace in Rock Hill? I have heard that they have good food. We usually like to try restaurants at lunch time and have driven by Thai Palace mid day and never have seen a car in their parking lot! I have looked them up online and it appears that they do serve lunch. Once in awhile we see cars at the Chinese restaurant connected to them.

We never pass by there at dinner time, so I do not know about their business at that hour.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 PM

174 posts, read 502,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
Can someone on here tell me more about Thai Palace in Rock Hill? I have heard that they have good food. We usually like to try restaurants at lunch time and have driven by Thai Palace mid day and never have seen a car in their parking lot! I have looked them up online and it appears that they do serve lunch. Once in awhile we see cars at the Chinese restaurant connected to them.

We never pass by there at dinner time, so I do not know about their business at that hour.

Thanks for your help.
Thai Palace is never very crowded, but I'm a big fan of theirs. The food is excellent, and reasonably priced compared to the Thai places in Charlotte. The staff is friendly and will take the time to explain what is in the dishes and offer suggetions. Try the fresh basil roll appetizer if you go. I've never had a main course that I did not like, but I will say that they go light on the spices. I usually end up adding some of the chili sauce that they will bring to your table. I'm not sure about lunch, as I work in Charlotte, but give them a call. It may be that they only open the adjoining "Happy Garden" restaurant for lunch, but I'd bet you can get the Thai menu there too.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 AM

38 posts, read 109,394 times
Default Hey Lou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
Thai Palace is never very crowded, but I'm a big fan of theirs. The food is excellent, and reasonably priced compared to the Thai places in Charlotte. The staff is friendly and will take the time to explain what is in the dishes and offer suggetions. Try the fresh basil roll appetizer if you go. I've never had a main course that I did not like, but I will say that they go light on the spices. I usually end up adding some of the chili sauce that they will bring to your table. I'm not sure about lunch, as I work in Charlotte, but give them a call. It may be that they only open the adjoining "Happy Garden" restaurant for lunch, but I'd bet you can get the Thai menu there too.
Are you Lou? Ha! Fancy seeing you here.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahd View Post
Are you Lou? Ha! Fancy seeing you here.
Yep, it's me all right. Small world (or should I say small Web!)

Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 PM

259 posts, read 798,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
Thanks for the info. I will call them and check out the lunch situation. I LOVE fresh basil rolls. I will be sure to try them. My favorite Thai dish is the Tom Yum soup, but I am used to it being really spicy!!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 PM

396 posts, read 977,148 times
Just thought I'd mention Mimi's Cafe that just opened in Charlotte. I know this is a york county thing - but I have to tell you that this place is worth the drive. Coming here from Cali I've missed this place so much - best dang corn chowder ever! Now - if any new developers read this, I'll tell you what we need in good ol' Fort Mill, Rock Hill, etc... - Mimi's Cafe, In n' Out Burger, Black Angus, Charo Chicken, and Claim Jumper. As far as Mexican Food in our area - I'm a HUGE Don Pedro fan. Really good hamburger - White Horse Restaurant in Rock Hill (they have YUMMY fried pickles) and Five Guys, which are poppin' up everywhere! Sandwiches and soup - Panera Bread. Pizza - Brixx (sp?) and Fuel Pizza. Hmmmmm... I really like Salsarita's, Moe's and T-Bone's in Lake Wylie has a really good steak sandwich. Hmmmmm.... I'm getting hungry...

Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 PM

225 posts, read 689,795 times
Thumbs down Heads up

My wife and I went over to try "A Piece of Havana" on hwy 49, across from were Fatz is located. The decor of the place is very fancy and pleasant. The menu is average. Being a long time fan of Cuban Cuisine, I had high expectations of this place. Our waiter came over and was very pleasant. He took our drink order. He then brought out dinner rolls with butter. It should have been an indication of what was to come. In 99.9% of the Cuban restaurants I've been, they always serve tostadas, which is Cuban bread cut in thin slices, buttered and garlic and then toasted on the sandwich press.
We ordered some ham croquettes, as our appetizers. They were not fresh, appeared to have been frozen and the center was pale, they are suppose to be pinkish from the ground up ham. I then order a Cuban Sandwich and my wife ordered the special, Cuban style skirt steak. The Cuban sandwich was lacking, one slice of roast pork, which IMO was more of a deli version pork, rather than real roasted pork. The best part of the meal was my wife's meal. The steak, which was not a skirt steak on this planet, was about an inch thick, round and looked like fillet of eye round. Being an avid barbequer and competitor, I do know my meats. The steak was over cook, skirt steak is usually, served med rare. The rice and black beans had no flavor at all ad they served three burnt sweet plantains.
Overall, I personally will not return to this place, if they even remain open.
This is just my opinion, but I always check this forum for information and have posted many post that have been helpful to others. Judge for yourselves, but be wary. I believe that Carlos' Cafe, in Rock Hill, is 100 times better.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,388 times
I tried Donato's, the new pizza place in front of the Tega Cay Walmart. It's a chain from Ohio. It was terrible. Sauce was poor. Very, very salty. I was dehydrated for the rest of the day. I'll stick with Empire State in Rock Hill.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
I tried Donato's, the new pizza place in front of the Tega Cay Walmart. It's a chain from Ohio. It was terrible. Sauce was poor. Very, very salty. I was dehydrated for the rest of the day. I'll stick with Empire State in Rock Hill.
I agree - I went to try the Donato's in Rock Hill, located where our beloved Si's Pizza used to be, and was served a lackluster but quite expensive pie and a pre-made salad in plastic tub. Even though they are convenient to where I live, I'll be going to Empire State and Marco's from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties