Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

116 posts, read 430,581 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to gather some info on Fort Mill area.
1. Crime
2. Schools - are they really as good as everyone says, and how would they compare to CharMeck schools?
3. Affordability - I know house prices are climbing in that area now, unfortunately my budget isn't really as high as some - I can't really spend more than $200k. However, I don't need a super big home - I only have 1 child and 1 small dog. I'm more concerned about quality area.

* My husband will be commuting to SW Charlotte, and I didn't really like any surrounding areas other than ones that were completely out of my price range - SO I am considering SC.

I also heard that there is a "stigma" attached to those that live in SC and commute to NC. IS THIS TRUE, AND IF SO, FOR WHAT RIDICULOUS REASON?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We came through Fort Mill on our way home recently and my husband made the comment that he had always thought Fort Mill would be a nice place to live. He went on to say why, but I am sorry, I forget what all his reasons were. He mentioned that it had a homey feel. Check it on the city data for crime, etc. They have preserved some of that old Southern feel.

We call those people who commute into North Carolina smart because they pay less for their gas if they buy it in SC. Ha! Ha!

One thing you may want to check is how the income taxes are handled when you go across the state line to work. My husband used to work in South Carolina and we ended up having to file both NC and SC tax forms. I don't know how doing the opposite would be handled.

Last edited by NCN; 08-29-2007 at 11:10 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Fort Mill is nice, but it wont be as nice once everyone moves there as is happening now. Their is no stigma; Fort Mill is just a suburb of Charlotte that happens to be in SC. On my way in from Fort Mill to Charlotte, 8 out of every 10 license plates is from SC.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM

What's the deal with Clover? York County School District 2 I think it is - how are the schools there in comparison to Fort Mill?

What is crime like in both these areas?

According to the city-data demographics the ratio of sex offenders in both areas is not necessarily favorable, yet from what I gather many families with children live in these areas. I'm not there to see and feel it out - so I need to gain as much understanding from a distance as possible.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:22 PM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post
What's the deal with Clover? York County School District 2 I think it is - how are the schools there in comparison to Fort Mill?

What is crime like in both these areas?

According to the city-data demographics the ratio of sex offenders in both areas is not necessarily favorable, yet from what I gather many families with children live in these areas. I'm not there to see and feel it out - so I need to gain as much understanding from a distance as possible.

Clover is a nice area as well. Schools are good, but not as good as Fort Mill. It's also much more rural. We looked at Clover a little bit before buying in Fort Mill, but the commute from Clover to Charlotte was just too far for me.

Crime is a concern anywhere near a large city, and honestly, I've been surprised at some of it in the Fort Mill area (break-ins at Baxter, robberies on Carowinds Blvd.) but I wouldn't consider it a major problem in Fort Mill or Clover.

Personally, if you're going to raise a family in the Charlotte area, I don't think you can go wrong choosing Fort Mill.

Last edited by BKQC; 08-30-2007 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
When we were about to move to Fort Mill I went to the SC sexual predator website (the link is wonky right now or else I'd provide a link). I saw there were about 35-40 predators in the entire Fort Mill/Tega Cay area. Yes, it's a "small town" but considering that it's considered a suburb of Charlotte, I thought that was a not-so-bad number. Especially when I went deeper into the statistics and found that of those 35-40 almost half no longer even lived in the state and another handful were (still) incarcerated. So of the 35-40, only about 10 were actually in the area. And of those ten? Some had been arrested 15+ years ago with no negative actions since then. So maybe 6 men were to be really worried about. And the map showed exactly where they lived. So I didn't move to that area.

Just do your research, take the time to dig deeper into statistics that you see online about schools, crime, commuting, jobs, salaries, neighborhoods, etc.

I love Fort Mill. It is infinitely better than where I used to live (NoNJ) and well worth putting at the top of your list.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM

I looked at that site too right before I moved and most were not actually 'predators'; they were offendors. VERY big difference.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 AM

Wow, well thanks for that bit of info - I didn't realize all that extra stuff, I truly appreciate it. I will look deeper, and definitely check maps. Yes, I thought about how many of the sex offenders did their crimes a long time ago and haven't done anything since and possibly are upstanding citizens now! (Wow, that seems odd to say...lol). Anyway, I am taking that into consideration..I'm very much leaning towards Fort Mill because it seems like the best choice for a family without the horrible commute for my husband. Next Tuesday, I'm sending on a journey down there to look around and tell me what he thinks...

Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
groove1 - there may be different definitions of the term "predator" and "offender" but it's all the same to me. Even if the "predator" is seeking adult victims. In any event, I feel infinitely more comfortable than I did in NoNJ, where the sexual offender map made me feel positively SURROUNDED even though I lived in a safe area.

I still keep my kids close, though, and try to teach them about safety when out in public.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
groove1 - there may be different definitions of the term "predator" and "offender" but it's all the same to me. Even if the "predator" is seeking adult victims. In any event, I feel infinitely more comfortable than I did in NoNJ, where the sexual offender map made me feel positively SURROUNDED even though I lived in a safe area.

I still keep my kids close, though, and try to teach them about safety when out in public.

I know whatcha mean. Offenders are definitely bad, but often times it is like you said, something 15 years ago that someone made mistake and learned from it. Predators dont learn and will continue doing it until they are incarcerated or dead. They are going to be everywhere, but there were waaaaaaaaaaaay more near where I was living in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties