Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 02:48 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

There was a discussion about new tethering laws for dogs in York County. Someone sent me the article in the local paper from a few months ago but I can not find it.

Dog owners who have their dogs chained up 24/7 are against the ban on chains.

Then there are people who know that dogs that are chained outside 24/7 increases barking at night which disturbs the right of their neighbors to have a quiet and peaceful home and not having their sleep disturbed. Any doctor will tell you that if you listen to the same noises, chronically, over time, it can become torture and cause hearing loss and health issues.

So, there are two sides of the debate.

The dog owners who can not keep their multiple dogs in their house and do not want to have to get rid if them. So, they fight a ban on tethering.

I wondered if anyone knew when the City Council was to decide the next change in the laws?
There was a Herald article about it some months ago, but I can not find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Your best bet with questions like this one is to contact your local representative on the RH City Council. I don't know who your rep may be but the website has their telephone numbers. They are there to serve you and should be happy to answer any questions regarding ordinances they have or will pass.

Just click on your rep's name for the info:

Official Website of the City of Rock Hill, South Carolina (SC) (http://www.ci.rock-hill.sc.us/dynSubPage.aspx?deptID=3&pLinkID=79 - broken link)

Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM

205 posts, read 647,537 times
I really don't know why anyone would even want to have a dog if it was just chained up to a tree all day and night. You can get motion sensors that will alert you when someone is approaching you home. They do not have to eat or be taken care of other than a battery change evey year.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM

There are 5 dog owners on my street within 4 houses that have a total of 9 chained 24/7 dogs.

I sent a letter to my City Councilman last year about how to address the council on the current laws, and if the council had considered any changes. I got zero reply. So, that tells me the people who make decisions about such things are more concerned about their job security and care nothing about people who are subjected to night time dog barking.
We need someone "above" the City Council people, they are politicians just like the ones we have in Washignton who do not represent the people.

So, contacting my City Councilman was the same as talking to a brick wall. And some brick walls are IDIOTS. I'll be glad to give him my address if he wants to talk to me about WHY he failed to repond to my inquiry. I guess he's a DOG owner.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM

205 posts, read 647,537 times
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I wonder if animal control can do anything? It just seems like cruel treatment to have any living thing chained to a tree 24/7.

I don't understand these "pet people" who think there is nothing wrong with you having to put up with their pets. These are the people that let their dogs bark all the time, crap in other people's yards or try to bring them to other people's home uninvited when they visit and get offended when you say "no".

We have a dog and she is an animal, not a human. She is very well taken care of, well fed and loved. She stays out in the yard all day (within an invisible fence) and I almost always put her in a garage kennel at night. Once a neighbor complained that she was barking during the day so I went out to Petsmart and got a bark collar, problem solved. Sorry to hear of your inconsiderate neighbors but so many people are in general now a days. I can't imangine having that many dogs barking constantly. Good Luck trying to get help.

Do you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, Maybe they can help?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I wonder if animal control can do anything?

crap in other people's yards or try to bring them to other people's home uninvited when they visit and get offended when you say "no".

We have a dog and she is an animal, not a human. She is very well taken care of, well fed and loved. She stays out in the yard all day (within an invisible fence) and I almost always put her in a garage kennel at night. Once a neighbor complained that she was barking during the day so I went out to Petsmart and got a bark collar, problem solved.

Do you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, Maybe they can help?
Then YOU are called a "responsible dog owner."

Animal Control is part of the problem. They only work 9-5, so any night time barking has to be addressed by calling the police.
Animal Control also says they can only come out and visit a dog owner 1 time per month, or they can be accused of harrassment by the dog owner. (??)
I'd gladly pay for a dog owner's barking collar out of my pocket, plus a 20 pound bag of food for the dog.
I live inside the city limits and no HOA.

There is actually a city law that says if you see, or can prove with a video, your neighbor's pet doing their poop in your yard, the law says you can force the dog owner to pick it up. It's actually a law. Never enforced, but it is there.

The 24/7 chains create massive arguments. The dog owners want to keep the dogs but do not want them in the house, and do not want to buy a fence to put around their yard. And many are renting and the landlord does not allow dogs inside the houses. So, the people who want the tethering to be totally banned, are mainly people who know that chaining can cause neglect. But, if you can not have them on a chain, then you can be cited for violating the leash law. So, the people wanting the chains to be allowed are the very dog owners who have their dogs on chains now. Anti tethering law would force them to buy a fence, let them run loose, or put them inside or have them adopted out.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There are 5 dog owners on my street within 4 houses that have a total of 9 chained 24/7 dogs.

I sent a letter to my City Councilma last year about how to address the council on the current laws, and if the council had considered any changes. I got zero reply. So, that tells me the people who make decisions about such things are more concerned about their job security and care nothing about people who are subjected to night time dog barking.
We need someone "above" the City Council people, they are politicians just like the ones we have in Washignton who do not represent the people.

So, contacting my City Councilman was the same as talking to a brick wall. And some brick walls are IDIOTS. I'll be glad to give him my address if he wants to talk to me about WHY he failed to repond to my inquiry. I guess he's a DOG owner.
As a resident of the city of RH ... you can go before the City Council meetings and speak about this situation ... you have to call the City Hall and get on the agenda. I have voiced a complaint to the council when they wouldn't pick up leaves (bagged) and limbs at a rental house we had in the city. We had called and called and nothing. It was a danger and a mess.

I got on the agenda to speak at the YC Council meeting too when every few months they would fluff up the dirt on my road ... my road was paved within the year after I appeared and followed up with phone calls just so they wouldn't forget.

You have the telephone number of your local representative ... letters don't do it ... call your rep ... and call him again ... you have to be a pest to get heard.

You have been on this 'dog' barking since you moved into the city ... you have got to be a thorn in their side to be heard and receive a reply or some action. Letters blah ... probably never read the letter. I have called our local, state and federal reps so often ... it's yesss Mrs. xxx what can we help you with today.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 635 times
I know this is an older thread but lets bring it back. Nothing has been solved.

We live in York county but outside Rock Hill city limits. My neighbors let their dog bark intentionally to annoy us because of issues we've had with them in the past. They go on trips for days and leave the dog outside using a wireless invisible fence. He stays around their garage area and barks constantly. He has escaped the wireless fence before and come to our lawn. He bit one of our other neighbors. He is a dangerous dog.

I have called animal control several times and they keep saying it is the police responsibility. I call the Sheriff Dept, they send a deputy and he does nothing. We've had around 4 or 5 deputies out here over the last few months. They have recommended we call animal control. This has gone on for 4 years. He barks during the night and wakes us up all the time. He even barks when they are standing right beside him and they won't stop him. It seems that we have to stand it or move.

Last edited by Cybermann; 04-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermann View Post
I know this is an older thread but lets bring it back. Nothing has been solved.

We live in York county but outside Rock Hill city limits. My neighbors let their dog bark intentionally to annoy us because of issues we've had with them in the past. They go on trips for days and leave the dog outside using a wireless invisible fence. He stays around their garage area and barks constantly. He has escaped the wireless fence before and come to our lawn. He bit one of our other neighbors. He is a dangerous dog.

I have called animal control several times and they keep saying it is the police responsibility. I call the Sheriff Dept, they send a deputy and he does nothing. We've had around 4 or 5 deputies out here over the last few months. They have recommended we call animal control. This has gone on for 4 years. He barks during the night and wakes us up all the time. He even barks when they are standing right beside him and they won't stop him. It seems that we have to stand it or move.
There are 2 sets of procedures, one for the city, one for the county.
a. The city relies on the police to respond to noises between the hours of 11pm and 7am. If the noise is a chronically barking dog the police must hear the dog when they arrive or they can do nothing but knock on the owner's door. If they hear the dog(s) they can issue a citation up to $500 per occurance. As you might guess they really do not want to deal with this problem that society in general has. They'd rather sit in a donut shop. Any citations given are contested in the municipal court located adjacent to the police station.
b. The county uses the sheriff's office. You can ask them to leave with you a noise meter that measures the decibels of the noise. If it reaches a certain level then you have a case to take before the magistrate. This magistrate is the one in the building located beside the York County Natural Gas building.

If you wish to discuss certain facets of the procedures send me a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties