Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 12:38 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a neighborhood directory of Rock Hill, which gives an overview of good/bad areas (those areas more prone to crime) / newer vs older / urban vs rural?

Is most of Rock Hill relatively safe - enough such that a woman can go shopping after dark without worry? I know there are some less desirable areas - for I have seemingly taken a wrong turn into a section whose houses had bars on their windows...don't know what part of Rock Hill this might be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Do you plan to rent or buy? If you live in the City of RH you will pay city taxes and county taxes. You have the local police protection and city fire department inside the city limts. But in the rural areas we have excellent volunteer fire departments and the York County Sheriff's Dept with no city taxes. It all depends on what you are looking for, a rental or to purchase. I assume you will be working in North Carolina ... Fort Mill, Lake Wylie, Tega Cay, Clover as well as Rock Hill are good location convenient to Charlotte. We just need to know your intentions. If you plan to buy ... a ballpark price range would be nice and if rented an amount your will be able to afford.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

I should have been more specific in my initial post .

Initially, we plan on renting. And because we have had a bad experience years ago, in what appeared to be an excellent garden apartment complex, we're watchful as to where we move.

After a lot of searching, the thing I can't get over is that the cost of renting a nicer (nicer by virtue of it being clean with no riff-raff) garden apartment is as costly as living in a house.

Once we get situated with jobs, church, etc., we'll probably buy...the two areas we're looking at are, the Lesslie section of Rock Hill, and the below section:

Community Family Life Center

The major thing that crosses my mind, and prompted me to start this thread, is this:

The one thing about where we live now, is that many areas are very low in crime. My Wife or Mom could go shopping at night, and not have to look over their shoulder when in a shopping complex.

On the other hand, when walking through a few parks in nice parts of Charlotte, signs are posted, cautioning people not to walk alone. In an ice cream parlor around the Galleria, I saw a sign cautioning that people won't be served if they're wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

The main thing prompting my concern is not fear; it's that I am tired of living in a fast paced lifestyle, where must always be 'on guard.' We're looking into moving into an area where the pace is a little slower, where we can live life without "looking over our shoulders."

To surmise it all, I would have to say that we're looking for the low crime and laidback country lifestyle, in Rock Hill/Fort Mill. And when we move, I'd rather live in a part of Rock Hill where I can take it easy around town; a place where my Wife can go shopping at night, and not have to be 'on guard' or look over her shoulder.

Sorry for the long post, but this is it in a nutshell

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM

41 posts, read 81,629 times
I would recommend the Milwood area of Rock Hill off herlong ave...it is considered to be the 'good' side of town plus there's some national reatailer shopping in the area.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks Holden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties