U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM
 
41 posts, read 68,774 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Since the Walmart out near Newport opened up the city has annexed almost the entire area around it. Do you think by 2015 the census will remove Newport from the census designated place list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
 
9,910 posts, read 9,285,452 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenlecroy View Post
Since the Walmart out near Newport opened up the city has annexed almost the entire area around it. Do you think by 2015 the census will remove Newport from the census designated place list?
No, I doubt it and sincerely hope not ... the new Walmart may have contributed to the annexation (city taxes) but it was really the developer of Miller Pond that signed the agreement with the City of Rock Hill allowing annexation prior to building the homes. The city was holding all the aces with that annexation.

The South Carolina Constitution upheld by the South Carolina Supreme Court authorizes three methods a municipality can annex an area:

1.The one hundred percent petition and ordinance method ... if landowners in an area want to be annexed they may present a petition to the municipality containing signatures of 100% of the landowners. Then it's up to the municipality to annex.

2. The seventy-five percent petition and ordinance method requires 75% of the landowners signatures. But those signing must own 75% of the property requesting the annexation. The other 25% is just out of luck if they are against it.

3. And the third method is constitutional by providing that registered electors in the area to be annexed rather than freeholders initiate the election by petition. If a petition is signed by 25 percent of qualified electors residing in the area wanting to be annexed, an election may be held within that area. The proposal will then be placed on a ballot and voted on by all in that district.

Miller Pond and the Newport area that was annexed is different due to the prior commitment by the developer. Walmart was aware of the annexation when they built the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
 
41 posts, read 68,774 times
Reputation: 22
But if it happened to Ebenezer in the 70's you don't think it could happen again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top