Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,741 times

Advertisements

A $520 car payment is insane... thats a bit far fetched, Anyone with a car payment like that can afford Charlotte gas prices. I hear ya on the premium fuel, as when gas goes up, stations keep the 87 octane price lower to drive in business, and jack up the 93 octane. I had a car that required it, and when gas spiked last year, i went to 89, but then they started jacking up 89 at some places, so it sucked when 87 was $3.70 and 89 was 3.95.

Today, gas at Carrowinds was 3.59, gas in Ballantyne is 3.79-3.85. 20-25 cents savings a gallon is pretty good to me. Though id never get off 485, drive down 521, get gas, and turn around, thats really silly. If you work in Ballantyne, its worth it to drive AWAY from traffic, and grab gas. As for the Carrowinds exit... if you work off Arrowood (plenty do) or that area, it makes sense to swing by, get gas, and jump on the highway.

I just wish these people would smarten up, and move to SC. Before I moved here for my job, I researched, asked questions, and such. Gas prices were a issue, and I saw that SC gas was always 20 cents cheaper, give or take. That was a good 25% of why I moved to SC, as well as the fact taxes are low and getting a car registered or getting a drivers license isnt a struggle like it is in NC. If people really wanna start saving money, get out of Charlotte and move into York or Lancaster County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
If you don't want to believe it for some reason, that is your choice but if you are observant the next time to visit one of these stations you will realize what is going on. Even just listen to people talking to each other at the pumps discussing it.

It is not even a NC/SC thing, it is something wired in to some people's minds about lower prices and they don't consider what they spend for the so-called "savings". This is really no different than when I used to live in Charlotte and regularly see people waiting in a 10 minute line at one gas station rather than go to the gas station across the street or next door whose gas is 3 or 4 cents/gal more and the place next door is a virtual ghost town. People sitting there for 10 minutes at the other place, idling so they can save $1 at the pump.
I see many of those folks too. It is true that the math doesn't add up to $5 for the 10-20 minute idlers who drive 8 miles round trip just for gas. Still though, many folks are saving at least $2 per trip. If these $2 folks (with smaller cars) does this trip twice per week; they'll save $208 in one year (that's one full small-car's payment). My point is that the savings are relative to the size of the vehicle; this is why SC attracts all drivers (not just the ones with cheap cars).

For me personally, I save about $6 per week by jumping off of I-485 on my way home from a 2nd shift job. At 1 and 2 in the morning, lines are never an issue. Also, it takes me 6 extra minutes to hit up an SC station vs one in NC. $3 in 6 minutes doesn't seem like a lot of money; especially when I've wasted an hour of my time by the 10th visit (6 minutes multiplied by 10 visits). However, I've saved anywhere between $25-$30 in that hour that I've wasted (how many folks work jobs for less than $25-$30 per hour; then have to pay taxes on those incomes).

Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,311 times
Just think how many NC tags you see at Frugal McDoogals.... Gas is not the only cheaper item for discussion

Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
For your information, the main determinants of gas pricing do not usually include demand, unless it is excessive. The major causes of difference in gas prices are the state gasoline tax and the amount of business and property taxes the station itself has to pay.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 AM

10 posts, read 38,418 times
Come on, I live in Lake Wylie but work in Fort Mill. Should I drive all the way around the lake and up through Rock Hill or "cut" though NC via 49?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
how dare those sc people use nc to work in and get a pay check

Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM

372 posts, read 659,369 times
I work in Ballantyne and live in Steele Creek. To be honest, it's quicker for me to get off on Carowinds and take back roads to come back into Charlotte, than to come down S.Tryon.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
NC needs a payroll tax. With the billions of bucks NC will get from SC workers working in NC there will be enough money to buy everyone a helicopter to fly to SC with and then the NC folks wont even need to touch the SC highways,,,lol

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
NC needs a payroll tax. With the billions of bucks NC will get from SC workers working in NC there will be enough money to buy everyone a helicopter to fly to SC with and then the NC folks wont even need to touch the SC highways,,,lol
SC residents who work in NC already pay NC taxes. They have to file taxes for both states at the end of the year. NC takes taxes out of their paychecks. NC is getting their fair share. Not to worry.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,383 times
I haven't read all the replies, so someone may have pointed this out...

I live in SC and work in NC. I drive a company car with NC plates. Some of those people may legitimately live in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties