U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,082,457 times
Did they ever decide on the border issue? Did they show a map of the affected yet? Been trying to find info in the news, but nothing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,333,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I feel bad for SC residents who will be in NC now. Higher taxes, crummy schools, and you'll have to retake your drivers test!
Worse yet, auto inspections!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM

153 posts, read 236,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh I agree about our borders! Leave them alone! To me, NC lost their claim. If you've been paying taxes to SC for years or more, then you're in SC. End of story. Not our fault NC fell asleep and doesn't know the border. Going forward, I can see this being corrected, but not with people already there.
It's not a matter of one state or the other not knowing where the border should be.

The precision of previous surveys wasn't at the level it now is, and markers and landmarks used in previous surveys may no longer exist.

At the same time, negotiated adjustments to the current boundary by N.C. and S.C. can help current landowners avoid litigation in the future when trying to sell or sub-divide their property along the state boundary.

As a side note, it was interesting that the Fort Mill Times, in its historical news column, mentioned that their February 12, 1912 issue included a story about Fort Mill residents supporting the idea of ceding the land north of the Catawba River - including Fort Mill - to North Carolina.

Here's a decent article about the border project that appeared in the Fort Mill Times in 2008:

Project aims to smooth out states' jagged border | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC

Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 AM

2,802 posts, read 7,376,343 times
I just read an article this morning (written yesterday 3/22/12 by Jeffrey Collins, Assoc. Press) that discusses the border issue. Apparently this is a decades-old "project" to redraw the line between the two Carolinas, but it's soon to be reality? The article mentions a commission meeting "this Friday" which I presume means today (3/23/12).

We're considering relocating to the area (work in Charlotte, live in SC), and wondering if there's any map that shows the new border? The article focuses on York County, but how will the border redraw affect Lancaster County?

Personally, I don't get it. Why can't the two states just legally convey lands to fix the border as it is regardless if it's wrong from the king's 1700s instructions? That's the logical path, so what am I missing?

The article:
The Associated Press: NC, SC state line isn't where folks thought it was

or

North Carolina-South Carolina State Line Redrawn

Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM

78 posts, read 106,991 times
any additional info regarding this after Friday's meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties