U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM

9,236 posts, read 5,222,173 times

Advertisements

There is a letter to the editor in the newspaper today from Elizabeth Duda, Tega Cay Water Citizen Advisory Council.

She is asking the public to contact Gov. Nikki Haley, asking her to sign the "Chronic Sewage Overflow Bill" requiring repeat violators to fix their own problems. Sewage spills in S.C. go largely unchecked (ew!). This hurts water quality, creates health problems for people drinking and swimming in the water, and damages all our property values.

The bill, sitting on the governor's desk right now, institutes a systematic process for firms or municipalities to automatically fix the problem after detecting three significant spills in a 12-month period.

Governor Hailey's email addy:
http://www.governor.sc.gov/Pages/SendMessage.aspx

It's the second letter on this page:
York County, SC | VOICE OF THE PEOPLE | Feb. 13, 2012 | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC (http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/02/13/3736961/voice-of-the-people.html#storylink=cpy - broken link)

Catawba/LakeWylie experiences sewage spills and everyone stands around looking at it ... not my fault ... not mine! This Bill really affects all of us that live around/near and depend on the Catawba River.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
NDL

1,373 posts, read 1,474,575 times
I almost hate to ask this question, but are sewage overflows the main reason why Lake Wylie is oftentimes brown in color?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM

9,236 posts, read 5,222,173 times
I don't know ... but I do know several years ago I was going to work earlier than usual and crossed a river bridge and backed in next to the river was one of those big tank trucks that drain septic tanks. No name on the truck and with the truck backed in I couldn't see the tag number. The guy had the hose laying in the river.

I called 911 and explained I thought a septic cleaning truck was dumping sewage into the river ... 911 operator said that wasn't an emergency!!!! OhhhhKayyyy who do I call ... she said try the Sheriff's office. I called the Sheriff's office ... not their problem either I needed to contact DHEC and they were probably closed that time of morning. I ask can you send a patrol car to take a look ... "yes we can but we can't do anything about it." He said "maybe the guy was just washing the hose out" ... sure he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties