U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,570,565 times

Advertisements

Councilman Michael Johnson sends out periodic emails about what he is doing to help with the upcoming issues. I recommend you go to his FB site and sign up for his newsletter.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Co...76932715670205
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 03:31 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,148,065 times
when I moved to Fort Mill and I live right near 160 and Gold Hill Rd, I could leave for work at 7:30 am, be on the freeway and be at work (Arrowood exit) within 15-20 minutes. Now the back up on Gold Hill Rd to get to I-77 is so bad if I left at 7:30 it would take 15 -20 minutes just to get on the freeway. Until they quit overbuilding and tearing every piece of woods down in this area, it's only going to get worse. I can't believe I now have to leave at 7am at the latest just so I can get to work in a 1/2 decent time...it's actually why I have decided to sell and leave this area entirely. It's being ruined, and with another 400-700 new homes, apartments, and condo's to be built right off of 160 in the area of Gold Hill Rd, it's going to be way worse than anything in Charlotte. Thankfully I can sell and get out.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM

346 posts, read 549,539 times
Are you going to move to Charlotte, closer to work I presume? I don't know what we'll do over the long term. Our life has been quite unsettled since 2010 and we moved here at the end of 2011 to make a fresh start. I, too, am a little frustrated with the traffic situation on Gold Hill and I don't even go to Charlotte in the mornings, but to Rock Hill. We are renting and probably won't be able to buy for at least another 2 years, as we are working on repairing our credit, but we have no idea where to go over the long term. Obviously, we can't afford to quit our jobs and pack up and leave again. I also told myself I need to start leaving 10 minutes earlier as I'm getting to work late these days due to the increase in traffic. At least it will settle down a bit in the summer months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
when I moved to Fort Mill and I live right near 160 and Gold Hill Rd, I could leave for work at 7:30 am, be on the freeway and be at work (Arrowood exit) within 15-20 minutes. Now the back up on Gold Hill Rd to get to I-77 is so bad if I left at 7:30 it would take 15 -20 minutes just to get on the freeway. Until they quit overbuilding and tearing every piece of woods down in this area, it's only going to get worse. I can't believe I now have to leave at 7am at the latest just so I can get to work in a 1/2 decent time...it's actually why I have decided to sell and leave this area entirely. It's being ruined, and with another 400-700 new homes, apartments, and condo's to be built right off of 160 in the area of Gold Hill Rd, it's going to be way worse than anything in Charlotte. Thankfully I can sell and get out.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:05 AM

625 posts, read 201,612 times
The east side of Fort Mill on the other side of 77 is not bad.

I don't know why people get so stuck on living in that side of Fort Mill. When I came to look at the area I considered that side of Fort Mill for half a second until I started mapping it out, seeing how congested it is and realizing that it would be a very long commute to my job in Ballantyne from there.

You can get to the highway from a few routes and there are many options to go to Rock Hill or Charlotte that avoid the highways and route 160 from the east side of 77.

Just something to consider.

It's really hard to avoid progress. Humans keep procreating, the population keep increasing, and people will want to live near where the jobs are which is what makes Fort Mill so popular. Unless you're retired or work on a farm, it's not easy to live somewhere where there'a no traffic.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 AM

167 posts, read 254,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post

I don't know why people get so stuck on living in that side of Fort Mill. When I came to look at the area I considered that side of Fort Mill for half a second until I started mapping it out, seeing how congested it is and realizing that it would be a very long commute to my job in Ballantyne from there.
Short answer is; because for some people; that was the side that offered them what they when house hunting. Be it home size; number of bed rooms; price; or location. A good example is for my wife and I; we liked the homes in Spring Field but were out of our price range; my wife didn't like Regent Park and being that close to the train tracks; so that was off our list. New construction that was further down Hwy 21; didn't seem to offer the best price for what you were getting; so we looked at existing homes and found on the other side of I77 off Gold Hill. It offered us everything we were looking for at a price that we were willing to pay.

The only downside so far has been the traffic to get on to I77.

Psy

Old 03-17-2014, 12:10 PM

625 posts, read 201,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
Short answer is; because for some people; that was the side that offered them what they when house hunting. Be it home size; number of bed rooms; price; or location. A good example is for my wife and I; we liked the homes in Spring Field but were out of our price range; my wife didn't like Regent Park and being that close to the train tracks; so that was off our list. New construction that was further down Hwy 21; didn't seem to offer the best price for what you were getting; so we looked at existing homes and found on the other side of I77 off Gold Hill. It offered us everything we were looking for at a price that we were willing to pay.

The only downside so far has been the traffic to get on to I77.

Psy
That's interesting, we actually had the opposite situation. We looked at some houses in the area and found that the houses on the east end of 77 were less expensive. It may have been too that we were looking for houses with basement lots and most of the houses that met that criteria were in Tega Cay.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:36 PM

346 posts, read 549,539 times
I agree. But, I don't live on the west side of town. I live close to the intersection of Pleasant and Gold Hill. This morning while attempting to turn left on Gold Hill to get on 77S, the traffic was so backed up that when the green arrow came for us to turn left, the car several up from me didn't want to turn because he wanted to get in the left lane to go to Charlotte. I did not want to sit for another 2 minutes waiting on another light. Finally he went ahead and got in the right lane and he proably had a horrible time trying to get over to get on 77N. It just seems like traffic is worse lately and these housing developments haven't went up yet.

Also, my husband works in the Steele Creek area. So, that would be a yucky commute from the east side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post

You can get to the highway from a few routes and there are many options to go to Rock Hill or Charlotte that avoid the highways and route 160 from the east side of 77.

Just something to consider.

It's really hard to avoid progress. Humans keep procreating, the population keep increasing, and people will want to live near where the jobs are which is what makes Fort Mill so popular. Unless you're retired or work on a farm, it's not easy to live somewhere where there'a no traffic.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM

845 posts, read 2,319,912 times
I agree that traffic has gotten worse over the last month or so. Last week there was issues almost everyday 77 north. Today was no exception with the multiple pile ups backing traffic down to gold hill road. Two years ago, I could leave no later than 7:20 and not really be affected by "rush hour." This year has gotten exponentially worse, and has backed up commuting times to no later than 7 to miss the rush from 160/77.
I also know that the construction on 485 is contributing to the hassle.....
I also fear with the new subdivisions planned for 160 that we are all doomed to sit in traffic....

Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM

229 posts, read 230,316 times
Everyone agrees this is a huge problem and with the new growth, things will only get worse. Where is the outrage? Why are we not holding our elected officials accountable? The politicians are more than happy to approve new businesses and housing but there seems to be no urgency to add roads and infrastructure. Road projects starting in 2016 and 2018?… The situation on both sides of the boarder on 160 is unacceptable.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:31 AM

229 posts, read 230,316 times
Perhaps a good sign???

While sitting in a huge traffic backup at the 160 and Gold Hill intersection, I noticed there are new survey stakes and flags all over the place. Is the intersection project starting early? I looked everywhere and could not find any announcements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties