U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 AM

7 posts, read 10,573 times

Advertisements

It's the people who make a town. Always! Without the right spirit, buildings are empty shells of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM

17 posts, read 29,134 times
please tell me what is wrong with trying to motivate people to act by having some community pride? why does it bug you so much that people CARE about something? the closing of the Springs factory a few years ago HAS had a horrible impact and Lancaster is struggling to revitalize and reinvent the town now. I love Lancaster, moved here last year from out of state...I find your comments rather elitist, which is why I don't live up toward S. Charlotte, I guess....you see, we DO care what Taylor says down here, ..and some fun traditions that they even let newcomers in on...IF we don't make fun of them and try to change them, but rather ENJOY and APPRECIATE a life less complicated....just my two cents.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 AM

564 posts, read 1,252,953 times
I have no issue with motivating anyone. That is great if a few signs can do it. My issue here is people upset over a news article that basically repeated what people who live in the county said. Maybe this article is a wake up call and people will be motivated. Also keep in mind that these people/busineses that moved to the area towards "S. Charlotte" are the majority of the funds helping to revitalize and reinvent the town. It may not be all the money but it is the biggest chunk

Also I have lived in this county for many many years and every person I have asked has no idea who Taylor is and since you are so well connected would you please enlighten us.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,116 times
Lancaster is a slowly growing city with a population over 11,000 residents and a college that's growing each and every year. The University Of South Carolina At Lancaster house close to 2,000 students with on campus apartments. They are building up the location in which they are going to build the dorms to house future students as well as Founders Hall the new classroom building. Lancaster will soon become a college town that will have lots to offer. A lot of Lancaster's "HOT-SPOTS" are not that visible which can lead others to think that the city has nothing going for it. Some people should really drive and take a closer look at this place before they start to judge it. Have you ever heard of Founders? Have you ever heard of Arrowood Estates? Have you ever heard of Shilo Unity Estates? Have you ever been deep into the Plantation area to see those nice homes? have you every heard of Bakers Place? Lastly have you ever heard of USC LANCASTER? Lancaster has things going for it but sadly only the locals realize it. Maybe its not the best place but hey this soon to be "COLLEGE TOWN" is on the upswing.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,116 times
Oh yeah and as of 2012 Springs Memorial Hospital in Lancaster was ranked one of the best in the Charlotte area. Don't get me wrong I love Indian Land(I work there) and loved how its transformed over the years and hope to see more changes in the near future but Lancaster doesn't need any of Indian lands money, Lancaster will be just fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 526 times
I'm late to the game, but came across this forum and post and felt obligated to create an account and comment.

You guys are right in a sense--that piece was certainly reflective of many residents in Lancaster County. It's also reflective of many citizens in York. I lived in Rock Hill for several years while attending Winthrop and lived there for a few years after graduating and got to know many people. If CNN had interviewed them, they would have said some of the same things the people in the CNN interview in Lancaster said. And many of you would feel embarrassed by that, especially if CNN only interviewed people who were cut from the same cloth.

It is embarrassing that some people are stuck in the dark ages and that they are completely unaware of how their words will make not only them look, but their fellow citizens and hometown.

Obviously Lancaster isn't as progressive as it would like to be, but then again, that can be said for most Southern towns. Here's my issue with the piece: it wasn't fairly representative of Lancaster residents. I thought CNN should have done a better job of finding different perspectives. I didn't know anything about the interview, nor did any of the 140+ in my fairly liberal church. They could have selected some of our teachers who have been certified at the national level, or some of our college professors, etc. in addition to the dyed in the wool gun toting homosexual hating ignorant Republicans they chose. The fact that CNN didn't do that shows a lack of journalistic integrity--anyone who lives here knows better. Heck, look at the recent presidential polls in Lancaster and you'll see that it isn't all a bunch of backcountry rednecks.

If you have any professional standards as far as the media is concerned, you'd be bothered by that interview, too.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM

205 posts, read 571,128 times
Um, if you look hard enough you can find whatever good or bad, conservative or liberal, whatever, you want in a community. In this case, whether one thinks it was good or bad, rest assured CNN had specific goals when they produced that piece and they did what they wanted to do. They hand picked people who would say what they [CNN] wanted to hear and how for the interview and recorded it then edited it all to look the way they wanted it to. Anyone who thinks CNN just decided to roll in to little ole Charley's resturant in Lancaster, SC and pick a handful of people randomly for this interview needs a reality check. The interview accomplished what they wanted it to, made "small town" people look a certain way to others. Different people might see good or bad from it. Personally I don't care either way but it is what it is. Give me a camera crew and editing team for a day and I could make any town look however my boss wanted me to.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 PM
NDL

3,150 posts, read 3,621,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancasterlady83 View Post
You guys are right in a sense--that piece was certainly reflective of many residents in Lancaster County. It's also reflective of many citizens in York.
Quote:
It is embarrassing that some people are stuck in the dark ages and that they are completely unaware of how their words will make not only them look, but their fellow citizens and hometown.
If "many" citizens in Lancaster/York feel a certain way about social/political/religious matters, then there can't be any embarrassment when those views are aired.

Quote:
Obviously Lancaster isn't as progressive as it would like to be, but then again, that can be said for most Southern towns.
I'm a little confused. Would not a town reflect the values of the people who live there? In other words, isn't it a contradiction that the town isn't "what it'd like to be?"

Perhaps I haven't caught on quickly, but "many" people seem to be happy with their lifestyle, just as it is. As a recent transplant, I delight in not having shoppers shoving one another out of the way, or horns honking the second a traffic light turns green.

The area isn't perfect, no area is, and there are a lot of nice attributes to life in York/Lancaster.

Quote:
The fact that CNN didn't do that shows a lack of journalistic integrity
Agreed , but that can be said of most major news outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties