U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

1,373 posts, read 1,474,575 times

Advertisements

I have my commercial driver's license, and was wondering:

What if I am out on the road, and get called for jury duty? Can I have my obligation to serve be excused? Are people called regularly to serve jury duty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM

138 posts, read 142,622 times
I would think at the least that you could get jury duty postponed if you are unable to make it for your original date if you are called. At best you could be excused because you are a "necessary" part of a business that would have to shut down if you were not there. I'm guessing your vehicle would not drive if you were not in the driver's seat.

If you are ever called there should be a list of reasons that you can asked to be excused.

I've never been called here in South Carolina but I lived in Atlanta for 7 years and was called at least 4 times and never served a day of jury duty.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM

708 posts, read 1,363,101 times
I have been called up twice in three years. It's always a major pain, but I go and spend a half day and both times I was dismissed pretty early because apparently lawyers don't like me. It's my "civic duty", I guess. My husband has been called up once in that time.

You can likely call the contact on your jury summons (if you get one) to reschedule/postpone your jury duty. My experience is that even if you don't do that, if you show up the judge will ask if anyone will experience any hardship by being there. They dismissed five people from the pool last time, for reasons ranging from, "There's no one to care for my children," to, "I have headaches from sitting too long." Both times, the jury contact (don't know what they call him but his name was on the summons) and the judge have been unfailingly polite and flexible.

Also, you will probably get plenty of notice. My summons dates were 4 or 6 weeks out when I received them. You likely won't get one while you're out on the road, that has to be dealt with in the same trip. (Unless you're on the road for 4-6 weeks at a time, then you might.)

Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM

Thank you both, for your very thoughtful replies

Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM

245 posts, read 695,591 times
In 17 years as an adult, I've been called once and so has my husband. I got out of it since I'm the primary caregiver to our 3 kids.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Seems like the court system is understanding in SC . Thing is, I hope I will be able to postpone my civic duty via the mail.

(Of course, if I get a job making local deliveries, I won't have to concern myself about any of this ...

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM

205 posts, read 329,933 times
I think alot depends on what court you received a summons from. I have been summoned by County and State/Federal multiple times. So far, they have all been very receptive to reschedule/postpone to another date if needed. As for trying to get excused completely, due to a (non-critical/lifesaving) job, that will probably be a tough task. All depends on who you are dealing with.

Basically unless you are a firefighter, on military assignment or are the sole care provider for your children, they will probably just want you to reschedule. Always worth a try though.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks NC. Bottom line is that it seems as though there's some flexibility - which is all i'm hoping for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties