U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,188 posts, read 3,645,980 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me the rundown of how the vehicle use (property) tax is calculated? Also, are there any additional registration fees?

I checked out the DMV website, but I am wondering if there are any "hidden" charges and/or fees.

Also, unless I am mistaken, SC residents don't need to get their vehicles inspected. Is this true?

Finally, is there a preferred DMV location, or are they all nightmares?

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM

205 posts, read 572,138 times
To properly calculate your property tax rate you will need to know what your millage rate is. This will be available from your county Tax Assessor. Also, to save the time calculating, just give them the VIN of your car along with your address and they will tell you the tax right then. You will have to pay the tax before you can go to the DMV and get the tags. The DMV will need to see the receipt that the taxes have been paid. After you are issued the tag, you will receive your registration sticker from the county when you pay the property tax each year, not the DMV.

There are no "hidden" charges. The fees should be posted on the form you fill out to register the vehicle, downloadable online here- http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/400.pdf

If new to the state you will want to get your drivers license prior to changing the tags.

You are correct, SC does not have a vehicle inspection program.

Location all depends on where you are. I have found both DMV locations in Rock Hill to be fairly "in and out".

Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,501,320 times
Fort Mill's office is hit or miss. Ive gone there about 4 or 5 times now. 2 times, i was in and out in 10 minutes, 2 times, took me over an hour, and once, I got a number, left, insured my car back in town, and came back, and still didnt have my number called. Word of warning: Most people dont read online on what they need to bring, so, the line is LONG to get a number often. Your always stuck behind someone who is clueless on what to do, what they need, etc...

Be sure to pay the tax down in Rock Hill first, or else, your wasting your time. The tax is wicked cheap. I am shocked how little tax is required, even on newer cars.

Hand in a valid NON EXPIRED license from another state, pass an eye test, and get a new one.

Its VERY cheap to register a car in SC, and theres NO inspections. Thanks for choosing to live in SC, not NC

Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 AM

205 posts, read 572,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Hand in a valid NON EXPIRED license from another state, pass an eye test, and get a new one.
DoT offers some great advice but I will have to object this part. It is not quite that easy to get a SC license, even if you have a valid one issued from another state. Basically having another State Issued DL excuses you from taking the driving test and written exam. You have to prove your identity just like you were getting your license the first time.

You will need several forms of identification as well. The requirements are stated within form MV-93 available here- http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/mv-93.doc

If you are a US citizen, you have to bring you SS card and either a Passport or Birth Certificate, proof of your SC address and Proof of Insurance. We did not have Passports so we used our Birth Certificates.

It was no problem for me but my wife on the other hand had to show all documents showing the trail from the name printed on her Birth Certificate to the current name that was on her NC Drivers license. We were aware of the requirements and brought her BC and SS the first time. We were then told what else she would need to bring to "validate" the BC.

She had been married once before so she had to provide the following documents to get her license- NC Drivers License, Birth Certificate, 1st Marriage License, Divorce Decree from 1st Marriage, Marriage License to Me, her Social Security Card, proof of our SC address and evidence of insurance.

As DoT said, just make sure you understand everything you need before you go and it will make your life a lot easier.

Unfortunately, 4 years ago, form MV93 did not exist and the specific requirements were vague.

Now you will see this Note on form MV93-

NOTE: If name has changed since birth, applicant must present all legal documents (i.e., adoption records, marriage certificate or license issued by state/county records office, certificate of naturalization, and court ordered name change) supporting all name changes from the name which appears on the birth certificate or proof of identity to the present.

Last edited by nc2sc778; 03-01-2012 at 06:49 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
I have found both DMV locations in Rock Hill to be fairly "in and out".
Thanks NC, for the very detailed, and very helpful, information .

Nice to know that York County's DMV's aren't the nightmare that Mecklenburg's DMV's are .

Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Its VERY cheap to register a car in SC, and theres NO inspections.
^^^That was my concern.

While working for a major bank in the 90's, the bank used to pay the use tax on leased vehicles, and then bill the customer.

In the mid to late 90's, the use tax on a Grand Cherokee in Massachusetts was, - if memory serves me correct - $1,200-1,400 a year!

I was afraid of the same in SC (even if it was a $300 dollar annual sucker-punch).

Quote:
Thanks for choosing to live in SC, not NC
I like NC a lot, but SC seems to be more traditional and conservative. Great place to plant roots ...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 PM

When my mom got her SC license, she needed her marriage certificate as well as her Birth Cert, SS card, proof of address and ofcourse her old license. Everything is online and can be accessed easily. It drives me nutz when someone has a complicated case, and instead of getting the info beforehand, just goes there and expects them to sit with them for 15 minutes. It should be common sense to bring basic identification. Obviously in your wifs case, it was a bit more complex, due to past history. Thats the only downside to the SC DMV, they require a ton of proof.

Ive never heard anyone call it "use tax". I just call it car tax. I lived in CT and they based the tax on the KBB value. I bought a beat up 96 Infiniti G20 but man it drove great and was CHEAP. It was worth maybe $2500 or so, but they dont care as they judge ALL cars with a clean title as "good" condition (one step below excellent). Same when I bought a 97 Cadillac SLS. It was KBB at like $5000, picked it up for $2300, yet, had to pay the KBB. If you got a car 1990 or older, it was based on sales price, then they bumped the age back a few years to 86 i think. It cost a FORTUNE to register a car in CT. You go in and register a $500 car,, its gunna cost you $120 to register it, then $20 inspection fee, then the property tax on it, which was 6% of the KBB value. By the time your done, your near $900 or so, not to mention insurance and any repairs needed.

When I bought my new-used Acura in Gastonia, they took care of everything for me. The sales tax was capped in NC, and I believe SC has a cap on there property tax on cars too. Its so refreshing to be able to register a car and not feel robbed.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
It cost a FORTUNE to register a car in CT. You go in and register a $500 car,, its gunna cost you $120 to register it, then $20 inspection fee, then the property tax on it, which was 6% of the KBB value. By the time your done, your near $900 or so, not to mention insurance and any repairs needed.
Thanks for the info .

They don't charge use tax on cars in NY, but they nickle and dime you with everything else.

Just picked up a Chevy Impala. Plate costs are based on the weight of the vehicle. Plates cost $250! Cha ching!

Glad to hear that they don't nickle and dime you in the Carolina's...

Onto a different topic: the gas tax in NY is double that of SC, yet the local roads in South Carolina are infinitely better.

SC is doing something right ...

Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks for the info .

They don't charge use tax on cars in NY, but they nickle and dime you with everything else.

Just picked up a Chevy Impala. Plate costs are based on the weight of the vehicle. Plates cost $250! Cha ching!

Glad to hear that they don't nickle and dime you in the Carolina's...

Onto a different topic: the gas tax in NY is double that of SC, yet the local roads in South Carolina are infinitely better.

SC is doing something right ...
$250 to register a Impala in NY? Yikes!

NY has A LOT of roads. We have some issues down here with roads but, i really cant complain much. They are a bit behind in some areas, such as Fort Mill/Tega Cay due to the increase of traffic over the years.

Just look at the local news and search for the "Garden Parkway" and see how upset people are over it. As someone from the north, we know a thing or 2 about toll parkways!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

2,998 posts, read 4,700,457 times
How about the roads here getting abused. Will see if the tax dollars will be used for road repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties