U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 AM

100 posts, read 336,882 times

Advertisements

My family and I would appreciate any advice you can give. We are a Christian family of 4 (two daughters, 8 & 3) looking at a job transfer to Charlotte. I would want to minimize my commute time, but safety, schools and community are very important to us. We would want to be invovled in a local Baptist Church. My wife is a big tennis player, so if anyone is informed about leagues and areas that have them, that would be great.

My office would be off exit 5 of 1-77, so we are considering cities in SC as well. We have tried to rule out North of the city. I would consider cities in SC as well as south of the city, but honestly know nothing about it.

We are a middle class family and would be looking for a neighborhood with houses 3500-4500 square feet. Schools are very important, my oldest is in the gifted program here.

We lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 12 years and Lexington, SC for 1 year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,638 times
Hey there Sharpcarolina: I happen to live in the area (Tega Cay, SC to be exact). Of course I am a little partial to Tega Cay but Fort Mill is also a great place to live! From this area (Fort Mill/Tega Cay) to exit 4 (Tyvola) your commute who be apx. 10 to 15 minutes. We have also felt safe within Tega Cay and Fort Mill. Oh, now finding a Baptist Church around here...now that is going to be a problem....I'm just kidding. You will have several Baptist Churches to choose from just in a radius of a couple of miles (I think there is about 14 or 15 Baptist Churches in Fort Mill alone). I have 2 children within the Fort Mill School District (5th and 7th) and am very pleased with their education. I am also familiar with the Gifted and Talented program as well (with my oldest). In Tega Cay we also have the Tega Cay Tennis Association (Charlotte Friel is the contact at 803 548-1006). Within Tega Cay we have club member tennis courts or city rec tennis courts. There is also a tennis instructor (John McCarthy). I have provided a couple of links below and if you do a Search on this site (using Fort Mill or Tega Cay) you will also find more information from previous threads.

tegacaysc.org
tegacayrec.com
fortmillsc.org
fort-mill.k12.sc.us
tegacaygolfclub.com
leroysprings.com/Greenway.html

If I have peaked your interest at all...and if you have any other questions feel free to ask away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcarolina View Post
My family and I would appreciate any advice you can give. We are a Christian family of 4 (two daughters, 8 & 3) looking at a job transfer to Charlotte. I would want to minimize my commute time, but safety, schools and community are very important to us. We would want to be invovled in a local Baptist Church. My wife is a big tennis player, so if anyone is informed about leagues and areas that have them, that would be great.

My office would be off exit 5 of 1-77, so we are considering cities in SC as well. We have tried to rule out North of the city. I would consider cities in SC as well as south of the city, but honestly know nothing about it.

We are a middle class family and would be looking for a neighborhood with houses 3500-4500 square feet. Schools are very important, my oldest is in the gifted program here.

We lived in Birmingham, Alabama for 12 years and Lexington, SC for 1 year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM

100 posts, read 336,882 times
Thanks so much. I figured there would be plenty of Baptist churches, we just like a decent size church, but a traditional service. Sometimes that is tough to find.

Any neighborhoods you recommend looking at. we have a bit, I will know in the next couple of weeks whether we are going or not.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcarolina View Post
Thanks so much. I figured there would be plenty of Baptist churches, we just like a decent size church, but a traditional service. Sometimes that is tough to find.

Any neighborhoods you recommend looking at. we have a bit, I will know in the next couple of weeks whether we are going or not.
I might be able to help you out a little better if I knew what you were looking for....like what price range, what kind of homes do you like, new, resell, how much land, custom built? (you can PM me if you would rather)

There are so many new homes being built around here I have lost tract of them all (here are just a couple to get you started):

Lake Shore (Tega Cay)

In Fort Mill:
Baxter Village
The Reserve
Kimbrell Crossing
Whitley Mills
Spicewood
Eppington South

One last thing I might mention...if you wish to stay within the Fort Mill School District make sure the home is within Fort Mill or Tega Cay (Indian Land has the same zip code as Fort Mill..yet it is located in Lancaster County and within the Lancaster School Dist.)

Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 28,851 times
Default Thanks for the Fort Mill Information

lovethecarolinas: Thanks so much for the previous post. I've been looking at this site for info back and forth for a couple of month. I'm retiring from Fed. Ser. in 2 weeks and will be moving to the Charlotte area. I originally discounted SC because I didn't know anything about it.

Your post was particularly helpful re: G&T prorgram. I have a 6th grade son in the program here in Purcellville. We'll be moving from Northern Congested Busy Virginia. Won't be missing the traffic, the work or the fast paced life!!!

What about Dog Training facilities? I have an agility dog and another for flyball. Obedience training will be needed for the next puppy I get. Do you know of anyone in the area that does dog training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I have 2 children within the Fort Mill School District (5th and 7th) and am very pleased with their education. I am also familiar with the Gifted and Talented program as well (with my oldest). I have provided a couple of links below and if you do a Search on this site (using Fort Mill or Tega Cay) you will also find more information from previous threads.

tegacaysc.org
tegacayrec.com
fortmillsc.org
fort-mill.k12.sc.us
tegacaygolfclub.com
leroysprings.com/Greenway.html

If I have peaked your interest at all...and if you have any other questions feel free to ask away

Old 09-16-2006, 04:16 PM

Your very welcome TooManyDogs and I would like to give you an early Congratulations!...on your fast approaching retirement.

I personally to not know of a dog trainer...but I know that they are out there...I will be going to Tega Cay Animal Hospital on Monday and would be more than happy to ask our vet if he knows of any in the area (tegacayanimalhospital.com).

It just so happens that we just had our very own Dog Park open in Tega Cay recently (the dedication was today).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyDogs View Post
lovethecarolinas: Thanks so much for the previous post. I've been looking at this site for info back and forth for a couple of month. I'm retiring from Fed. Ser. in 2 weeks and will be moving to the Charlotte area. I originally discounted SC because I didn't know anything about it.

Your post was particularly helpful re: G&T prorgram. I have a 6th grade son in the program here in Purcellville. We'll be moving from Northern Congested Busy Virginia. Won't be missing the traffic, the work or the fast paced life!!!

What about Dog Training facilities? I have an agility dog and another for flyball. Obedience training will be needed for the next puppy I get. Do you know of anyone in the area that does dog training?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:00 AM

lovethecarolinas: I'll be looking forward to the information on dog training. Glad to get the reference for the animal hospital too. How many vets are in the practice? Can you also recommend a boarding facility (though I really hate to board them).

I recently had a bad experience with our local vet. We almost lost our male dog after a routine teeth cleaning. He became septic and had to be boarded for recovery. Not soon after that a firend of mine had a similar experience. I've really become leary of vets. How long have you been using the TCAH?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:02 AM

OH MY doG!!! I just went to their web site and it has an Aussie Cattle Dog on the front page. I have two of those!! I'm definitely going to use them.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
lovethecarolinas: I'll be looking forward to the information on dog training. Glad to get the reference for the animal hospital too. How many vets are in the practice? Can you also recommend a boarding facility (though I really hate to board them).

I recently had a bad experience with our local vet. We almost lost our male dog after a routine teeth cleaning. He became septic and had to be boarded for recovery. Not soon after that a firend of mine had a similar experience. I've really become leary of vets. How long have you been using the TCAH?

Dr. Willoughby is the vet and owner of Tega Cay Animal Hospital. We have used him since our move here close to 3 years ago. They were very helpful to us, and our animals throughout the move (beyond the call of duty) so we have chosen to stay there. This is also where we board them if need be. There are also several other vets and boarders in town as well. Even a local woman that will come to your home for pet babysitting.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:07 PM

104 posts, read 421,369 times
Quote:

Hi TooManyDogs!! We also use Tega Cay Animal Hospital. When we moved here in March from Los Angeles, we had to ship our 6 (was suppose to be 9!) cats 2 days ahead of us. They were kind enough to board & care for them for us, & really went out of their way to accomodate us. Whenever we have to take 1 of the kids in for treatment, we always feel like Doc Willoughby & his entire staff go above & beyond their duty. You can just tell that everyone there has a special love for ALL animals, & it shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties