U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM

9,906 posts, read 9,277,963 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Rock Hill ... only one high school back then ... old Rock Hill High on White St. A rite of passage for Rock Hill High girls sometime in the 10th grade or 11th you cruised Fort Mill to check out the Fort Mill High boys. Only one high school in Fort Mill at that time and old rec center where they held sock hops after the football games.

In addition there was no Tega Cay that was 'the Fort Mill side of the river.' During that time many high school kids Fort Mill and Rock Hill would party at what is now Windjammer Park. All of that area was just a dirt road down to the river.

In 1977 we moved out of the city into the boonies ... five miles from what became the Catawba Nuke Station ... which is ok they are good neighbors.

I have transplants all around me now. Next door is from California, a wonderful family and good friends I would not trade for any native ... across the road is a transplant from Virginia again ... great neighbors ... a family from Alaska is down the road ... very few natives out here. We do have one PIA from NJ but being from NJ doesn't make him a PIA, it's the man himself.

Fort Mill has changed so much I recently got lost over there on the new bypass. If I was relocating here for a job in Charlotte, Fort Mill would be the first place I checked out for my home. Then maybe Lake Wylie and Clover.

I have no problem with people getting ecstatic over finding something in a grocery store that use to be available only up north or west, wherever they came from. When my husband was in the military and woe is me ... no Duke's Mayo in the area ... no Cheerwine .... no Sundrop ... no Krispy Kreme this was a sin and shame to me ... how could people live without those items.

Thus far no one has ever made fun of my southern drawl and I worked for 30 years with people from all over America before the influx of transplants and now live among people from all over the country.

The only problem I have is when someone does relocate ... don't try to change things to the way it was 'back home' ... then I cannot understand their reason for leaving 'back home.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:52 PM

346 posts, read 548,915 times
Believe me when I say I'm not coming down on people moving here from the north, it's just that I didn't expect to be a little fish in a big pond of yankees. And I'm from the midwest originally, above the Mason Dixon line. lol In fact, my FIL told my DH last year that my problem is I'm not friendly because I'm a yankee. DH had to laugh at that because I'm as southern as they get. We wanted out of the area, but wanted to stay in the south because we want the culture here. And moving only 4 hours away, it's just been a bit of a shock for me. I'm hoping once I get plugged into something outside of my job, I will feel more comfortable living here. It's funny because I was the one who had to drag my DH out of GA, not the other way around.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM

151 posts, read 229,047 times
I'm a transplant from WNY. It took me over a year to adjust and like it here- but I do now. Personally I've grown to hate the word "yankee". I've rarely had anyone call me that ( about 4-5 people) but the few people that have- I have an immediate negative reaction. I think people use the word jokingly, but, for some of us, it's not funny.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 AM

7 posts, read 10,571 times
OMG now I know why I feel exactly like Gapeach69 after moving here a year ago. Southern hospitality is a myth. She probably don't run into folks from the FM area because they stay within their click or families, trusting no one that is not from FM.
I too enjoy hearing an accent from the north east because I know they are good folks. I live in a neighborhood where no one even speaks to us. WHY? We are the only ones that aren't from the area. A LARGE man rode his golf cart into our driveway introduced his self and added I wanted to let you know "We don't house hop here" Welcome to the neighborhood right? WTH. Haven't talked to him since and that was a year ago.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM

120 posts, read 145,307 times
OMG We don't house drop here! Really! That is so rude and not necessary. I am from MA and I do not think that I will ever adjust to the southern folks "brand of hospitality". There is so much here that I am just not used to seeing and hearing in the Northeast. I will not list it all but I do laugh and shake my head alot! This is where I live now and I will deal with it but never embrace it.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM

42 posts, read 82,560 times
I'm from MA but moved here from NY. People have been very friendly, both in our neighborhood and out in general. I think the concept of southern hospitality is probably something that has faded over time as people's lives change. I've found some places, like Charleston,still seem to have it to a good extent. There are no cliques in my neighborhood and there is a mix of natives, people from other parts of the south and people from the rest of the country. I'm not saying this applies to anyone here so please don't take it that way, but if you move to an area and never try to embrace the local culture, or stand back and pick it to pieces then others will realize it eventually.I've seen plenty of transplants do that. I happen to love it down here and would never move north of NC again, but then again I've loved southern culture ever since I was 7 and saw Gone With The Wind Then again, I suppose it all depends on what your expectations of what "southern hospitality" are. I know several people on different threads have commented on having lousy experiences with locals or being referred to as yankees. Personally, I was born and raised a yankee and I'll never take that as an insult. However, I do understand that it can be said in a certain way that is rather unfriendly. Maybe there are more natives in FM who haven't accepted that there are thousands of transplants. Too bad for them. Everyone else around here seems to have accepted it, made peace with it and moved on.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 63,850 times
We moved here from the NE and we have found everyone here extremely friendly and welcoming. Within a month of moving down here I blew a tire. It was dark, about 40 degrees and pouring. A guy pulled over and put his headlights on my tire so I could see and then, over my adamant protests, stood outside in the rain holding a spare coat over me like an umbrella as I changed the tire. He was a FM native and I still had Massachusetts plates on my car. Needless to say, that would not have happened up north.

I agree with the post above. If you move here, embrace the culture. There is a reason why us northerners move down here; because stupid northerners ruined the north. If you're one of those obnoxious northerners that thinks everyone outside of Boston or NY is an ignorant hayseed, please go back home. Most transplants moved here to get away from people like you.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 PM

120 posts, read 145,307 times
Truthfully, it is the guns and shooting and crime here is amazes me! There are people stealing air conditioners and copper from peoples homes and businesses, and then others breaking into sheds and sanctuary's on church property stealing lawn mowers and furniture. These are two of the lowest things that you can do and I have never heard of this kind of thing happening up north! Then, there are those toughies who are ready to take you down if they think you look at them wrong, always wanting to start a fight! Lots of mouthy people. I am just used to classier people with better behavior and morals. I refuse to bring myself down just because some people here are trash! I say, get educated, get a job! clean up your act, develop some decorum and manners. I have been here for a while and I keep seeing this kind of thing. I am here because I want to be near aging parents but if it weren't for them and the weather, I'd find another place to go.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM

152 posts, read 277,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bktonjtosc View Post
As one of the "transplants" you referenced, I take exception to your posting. May I remind you that you are a transplant as well? Like you, most of us transplants have moved to the Carolina's to improve the quality of our lives for one reason or another. To think you found it laughable that a mother was excited about a familiar food item is incredibly judgmental. Did you ever consider that maybe the food item was something her children enjoyed before moving into the south? Wow, what a crime to be excited about something that her family enjoys eating! As far as your poor kids, give me a break with them being made fun of for their accent! Even with all of us transplants, I could assure you the "Brooklyn" accents are still very much in the minority. Unlike you, my family moved here with an openness to embrace a new culture while holding onto our family heritage. This has allowed us to make wonderful new friends with neighbors that were native to Fort Mill and transplants.

Good luck in finding a place where everyone looks and sounds just like you, sounds like a wonderful place..
"moved here with an openness to embrace a new culture". You are certainly among the few, and thats great. Many "transplants" from "up North" not only do not embrace the Southern culture, but outright mock it right to the face of Southern natives.

As the capital of the state of Ohio...Charleston, SC has had it's share of experience with that mindset.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM

152 posts, read 277,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrbubba View Post
Truthfully, it is the guns and shooting and crime here is amazes me! There are people stealing air conditioners and copper from peoples homes and businesses, and then others breaking into sheds and sanctuary's on church property stealing lawn mowers and furniture. These are two of the lowest things that you can do and I have never heard of this kind of thing happening up north! Then, there are those toughies who are ready to take you down if they think you look at them wrong, always wanting to start a fight! Lots of mouthy people. I am just used to classier people with better behavior and morals. I refuse to bring myself down just because some people here are trash! I say, get educated, get a job! clean up your act, develop some decorum and manners. I have been here for a while and I keep seeing this kind of thing. I am here because I want to be near aging parents but if it weren't for them and the weather, I'd find another place to go.
????????????

Are you talking about the South?? Or Detroit, Jersey, NYC, Boston, Philly....becaue I swear I thought you were talking about all those Northern areas with the above description. Crime and bad attitude seem to be standard for Northern metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties