Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Are most people friendly and open minded there? Are they liberal or conservative? Are most people locals or transplants? Are they accepting to new residents? Is it easy to make friends, cliquey or do people just stay to themselves? Do they wave when you drive by even if they don't know you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM

64 posts, read 185,535 times
Really depends on different parts of the counties. Indian Land part of Lancaster county is mostly transplants. Very few locals. Lancaster, SC is mostly people from Lancaster. Fort Mill, SC seems to be a large volume of transplants while Rock Hill would contain more locals.

As for the friendliness level, I have learned that that is largely a relative question. Friendly compared to New York, NY or friendly compared to Tennessee?

Just what I've gathered in the last year of living here!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks for your opinion. I thought I would've have gotten more responses. Anyhow, I basically just want to find out if the area is very friendly and accepting. I hope more people post.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM

261 posts, read 480,228 times
What part of Lancaster and York counties are you looking specifically for? As thelynchfam stated it really depends on the area. That is absolutely true. I would say that the majority of Fort Mill, Tega Cay and the Indian Land area are transplants from all over.

What exactly do you mean by friendly and accepting? Do you mean that folks talk to each other in the grocery store, the mall and post office? Yes! Absolutely! Do I believe that a gay man or woman and their partner/husband/wife and their children would be welcomed with open arms in all parts of York and Lancaster county? Absolutely not. But in some parts I bet they would.

I have found it very easy to make friends but I have also busted my rear end to get out and get involved with things to make that happen. Most of my friends are transplants but I do have a handful of Fort Mill native friends too. Both groups have been very wonderful and accepting to me.

If you can give more specifics of what you are looking for we can give more specifics to you.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM

Thank you! I'm not familiar with the area yet, just researching it. The areas that I'm looking into are Fort Mill, Indian Land, Tega Cay, and/or Rock Hill.

I'm looking for any area that the people are friendly when you are out and about at the grocery store, etc. Not a cliquey area, where if you don't belong to a group, people don't want to accept you. I like a progressive area. I like a diverse area where everyone gets along. An area that's not all conservative and isn't afraid of change. A newer and updated area.

Basically, looking for an area where people aren't afraid to wave and say hello. Where people aren't afraid to knock on your door to introduce themselves if you are new to the neighborhood. Where communities get together and have block parties or cookouts. I like to surround myself with happy and positive people.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
beckycat ... we have people post on the SC & NC forums that relocate here and do not like people holding a door open for them ... nor do they like people that smile at them and say 'hello or good morning' ... so you can't win them all. I have lived here all my life and basically I find that the people I encounter shopping in stores, at the grocery stores, in line at the DMV, all are friendly if you are a friendly person.

Now change is a different category all together ... South Carolinians don't like change. LOL

In addition many cannot drive ... going 25 MPH in a 45 MPH zone ... driving in the left lane instead of slower traffic in the right lane ... never use signal lights or hand signals just turn when you want too.

Some neighborhoods do have block parties and cookouts ... most don't. People are so busy trying to survive and keep a roof over their head and food on the table they find they only have time for their family. But there is a website ... meetup.com ... just type in the city/town and attend events that interest you to get involved and meet people in the area. It will be up to you to get out and find what you are looking for and most people do adjust to the area ... eventually.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
South Carolinians don't like change. LOL
You made my day CW

Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM

[quote=South Carolinians don't like change. LOL [/QUOTE]

No offense but this is what I'm finding out LOL I would think in the areas with more transplants, it would be different.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 PM

259 posts, read 797,793 times
Hi Beckycat...

I am a transplant from Western NY (5 years) and have found people here very friendly. But, as Carolinawoman said, if you are friendly, people are friendly back!

Unfortunately, she is also right about the driving... but there are a lot of people here from all over, so who is to say who is driving what way!!!

My biggest surprise is how conservative this area is. I am not only saying the original residents are conservative, but so seem to be some of the transplants I have met. I tend to be a fiscal conservative but am more liberal on social issues, and I usually feel out of the loop here on politics!

There are a lot of newer areas here. If you are looking for a family area, I understand Baxter in Fort Mill and Tega Cay are really good.

We built in Rock Hill in a community of diverse ages and where we are all from. There are definitely transplants and southerners here and all seem to get along fine!

I would definitely pick York County again and if you end up here, there is an active Newcomers group to help you meet new people.

Good luck with your decision where to move. It is a big one!!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
hello carolina woman, my husband and i have been reading your posts and have a question or two for you! We are wondering about York county specifically the walmart on lincoln avenue. Do you know where that is? We are both from tennessee but moved north to Pennslvania a year ago and bought a buisness. We have sold it to move back South and found a buisness for sale near the Walmart. Tell me anything you can about that area, is it safe? I would be working at this buisness and want to feel secure. Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties